Review: Mount Gilboa Rum

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sat Jun 01, 2013 4:52 pm

Mount Gilboa is an interesting rum for many reasons, the most noticeable detail being the fact that the rum is triple distilled, more importantly a triple distilled pot still rum. As far as I know there are only a handful of rums in the world that are produced this way, at least many are not advertised as such. However, finding rums distilled more than once in column stills are far more common.
Read the review on the frontpage.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Dai
How did you find Refined Vices?: search
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:41 pm

Being a young rum is there much of an alcohol taste to it?

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:50 am

Certainly doesn't have that ethanol aroma or flavor that some poorly made commercially distilled young rums might have. As said in the review some tasters guessed it to be 12 years old. There is a little bit of spiciness associated with young rums.
--

Dai
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Feb 16, 2014 8:01 pm

I've ordered a sample from masterofmalt to see. Just hoping it turn out to be one I like.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:54 am

Awesome! Please let us know how you find it! I haven't tried it recently but hopefully the later batches have not changed much from the one I reviewed.
--

Dai

Thu Feb 20, 2014 7:43 pm

Count Silvio wrote:Awesome! Please let us know how you find it! I haven't tried it recently but hopefully the later batches have not changed much from the one I reviewed.
Not bad for a four year old but, not the taste I was looking for. Don't get me wrong it's a nice rum smooth but it reminds me of a whisky more than any othe rum I've tasted. Given the difference in price compared to Mount Gay XO which is cheaper I think I'll be sticking MGXO.

Dai

Thu Jul 24, 2014 7:07 pm

Dai wrote:
Count Silvio wrote:Awesome! Please let us know how you find it! I haven't tried it recently but hopefully the later batches have not changed much from the one I reviewed.
Not bad for a four year old but, not the taste I was looking for. Don't get me wrong it's a nice rum smooth but it reminds me of a whisky more than any othe rum I've tasted. Given the difference in price compared to Mount Gay XO which is cheaper I think I'll be sticking MGXO.

Having a second crack at Mount Gilboa, this time doing a Ralfy and putting a teaspoon of water with it. Oh boy does it make a difference yes, it's a much nicer rum than the first time I tried it. I'm glad I have percivered with Mount Gilboa as it's another rum to add to the collection.

• Information