A good cigar on a budget

Cigar conversation.

Moderator: Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lord Stirling Johnson
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Oct 31, 2007 4:45 am

Anybody can walk to the cigar store and pick out the most costly cigar and no doubt enjoy it, but what are your suggestions for reasonably priced good cigars? Something from Honduras is always a good bet and Cuesta Rey Centenario (Dominican) are OK value for the quality.
Lord Stirling Johnson, Duke of Boxduster.

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:13 am

Staying in Honduras, why not give La Libertad a go. Then there's Joya de Nicaragua, while obviously not from Honduras, is enjoyed by many.

In general good cigars should not cost that much whether they come from Habanos or not. If you are getting hornswoggled it's time to shop elsewhere.
And therefore I conclude that Carthage must be destroyed.

Rum Runner

Thu Nov 01, 2007 4:38 pm

Lord Stirling Johnson wrote:Anybody can walk to the cigar store and pick out the most costly cigar and no doubt enjoy it, but what are your suggestions for reasonably priced good cigars? Something from Honduras is always a good bet and Cuesta Rey Centenario (Dominican) are OK value for the quality.
Good day Lord Sterling. There is a cigar glut on the market now. The "boom" in America has passed (thank god) and there are many Dominicans, Hondurans, and Nicararuaguins, available at a great price point. Thirty years ago La Habana may have made better cigars. Now I think, the quality coming out of the others Islands is excellent. As you are aware many of the master growers and blenders fled the country when the Bearded Bastard took over. They have had time to plant excellent fincas and now produce a product that is worthy and will not make you feel like your pants have been stripped to your knees.
Last edited by Rum Runner on Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

Archbishop S. M. Octavian

Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:51 pm

Lord Stirling Johnson wrote:Anybody can walk to the cigar store and pick out the most costly cigar and no doubt enjoy it, but what are your suggestions for reasonably priced good cigars? Something from Honduras is always a good bet and Cuesta Rey Centenario (Dominican) are OK value for the quality.
Ah, good day old chap.

Well, you give such an open ended question that its difficult to properly answering yourquestion until you somewhat define just what YOU call a good cigar? What are you looking for in teh quality of a cigar. The aroma, taste, amount of smoke, sharpness versus mellowness, long burning time or what.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:27 pm

La Libertidad Robusto has been a good smoke on more than one occasion.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Dood

Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:45 pm

I've always been a fan of the Monte Cristo line because I enjoy a cigar with good spice on the tongue and I've never found them to be too heavy on the pocketbook.

Charlie Murphy II

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:18 am

Count Silvio wrote:La Libertidad Robusto has been a good smoke on more than one occasion.
And indeed very reasonably priced.. Guess I'll have to go and get me one.
Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:21 am

A fine choice and welcome to the forums Mr Murphy :tippin:. Might I also recommend Rome Y Julieta, a tad more expensive but very nice.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:08 pm

Charlie Murphy II wrote:
Count Silvio wrote:La Libertidad Robusto has been a good smoke on more than one occasion.
And indeed very reasonably priced.. Guess I'll have to go and get me one.
For the uninitiated, it may be easier to find this cigar from the shops with its correct spelling which is La Libertad. I'm sure your tobacconist will know what you mean anyway but web searches should be a tad more productive with this name.

La Libertad is probably the cigar brand I've smoked most. It's a regular guest in the humidor and one a good host is not ashamed to offer to his guests.
And therefore I conclude that Carthage must be destroyed.

• Information