Crystal decanters can be hazardous

General discussion.

Moderators: Sñr Juan Pablo de Español, Lord Neville Crispin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Le Roturier
How did you find Refined Vices?: Cpt Jimbo website
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:58 pm

From On Food And Cooking, ISBN 0-684-80001-2
High-alcohol spirits are biologically and chemically stable and can be kept for years without spoiling. One traditional and decorative way of storing them has been the decanter made of glass crystal, which derives its weight and appearance from the element lead. Unfortunately, lead is powerfully toxic to the nervous system, and readily leaches from crystal into spirits and other acidic liquids. Old decanters that have been used many times have been preextracted and are safe to use; new ones should either be pretreated to remove lead from the inner surfaces, or only use for serving, not storing.
Do you use crystal decanters?
Noble by birth, gentleman by upbringing, commoner by choice.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:21 am

I don't use any decanters myself though I use crystal glasses to drink from. I cannot help but wonder how old that book is since aren't most crystal products these days made out of lead free crystal? My glasses atleast are all lead free.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

forrest
How did you find Refined Vices?: Ministry of Rum

Tue Sep 16, 2008 1:30 pm

i have, and use one crystal decanter.
It is a Baccarat Wild Turkey Tall Ship Decanter from the 70's (it looks like this:http://www.liveauctioneers.com/h/item/1 ... =446-77bf1, but i don't have the case.)
When i got it, it was still sealed, and full of Wild Turkey 101 (which maybe i shouldn't have drank, but alas that ship has already sailed. . ) that had been in the Decanter for 30 odd years.
i have since 'rinsed' it a half dozen times with new whiskey, so even if it is lead crystal (i have looked to no avail) it should be alright by now.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information