Hello!

General discussion.

Moderators: Sñr Juan Pablo de Español, Lord Neville Crispin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
peetie44
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from MDM forum

Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:50 pm

Greetings.

I post often on the Modern Drunkard Magazine forums and am acquainted with Count Silvio from there. I've perused this site from time to time and have now joined up. I'm an American musician, living presently in Belgium (come try our beer). I enjoy single malt scotch (Islay malts -- especially Lagavulin) and Montecristo #2 cigars.

I suppose I should offer to buy a round?

CHEERS, ALL! **clink**

-----peetie44
"Time wounds all heels." -- Julius "Groucho" Marx

www.gene-taylor.com

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:49 pm

Welcome to the forums Peetie! Pleasure to have you aboard :cheers:. How is the whisky, cigar and rum market in Belgium?
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

peetie44

Wed Oct 01, 2008 6:19 pm

Count Silvio wrote:Welcome to the forums Peetie! Pleasure to have you aboard :cheers:. How is the whisky, cigar and rum market in Belgium?
I'm afraid I posses a rather limited knowledge of rum variety/value.

As far as cigars and whisk(e)y, the prices for Cubanos isn't completely outrageous (Spain enjoys the best prices on the continent), while bourbon and rye variety leaves much to be desired.

Plenty of good single malt, reasonably priced, however.

www.gene-taylor.com

Baron Rupert Liberis

Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:49 pm

Belgium is quite famous for its beers, but I'm struggling to think if Belgium has a national spirit? None spring to mind, is it purely a beer culture?
There are two things a Highlander likes naked, and one of them is malt whisky.
Scottish proverb
Single Malt Whisky[/b] A basic guide to single malt whisky I knocked up
Follow me on Twitter

peetie44

Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:30 pm

Baron Rupert Liberis wrote:Belgium is quite famous for its beers, but I'm struggling to think if Belgium has a national spirit? None spring to mind, is it purely a beer culture?
Baron,

I'm not quite sure, as I'm an American and tend to stay mostly to my tastes (single malt scotch and quality beer), and have not really investigated the existence of a "national" liquor. Belgium is quite close to France (and, in fact is a French and Flemish nation) good cognacs and wines are prevalent. Also, good German wines, since Germany is a bordering country as well. Of course, gin, vodka, rum, port and such standard fare are readily available, and prices are reasonable for most.

There IS a local Flemish drink called Jenever (Jaegermeister is a relative), which is quite good, though an acquired taste.

I suppose more investigation into this matter is due on my part.

www.gene-taylor.com

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information