Introduce yourself.

General discussion.

Moderators: Sñr Juan Pablo de Español, Lord Neville Crispin

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:47 pm

Good day! I am Count Silvio Dante, the creator of Refined Vices.com and these forums. Without further delay, let the posting commence!
Last edited by Count Silvio on Sun Sep 30, 2007 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Henry Deare, Adventurer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:53 pm

Hello there. I represent the Australian contingent of rum drinkers. Except those who choose to drink Bundaberg.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:15 pm

Good day old chap and welcome :tippin:! I've not had the pleasure/displeasure of tasting Bundaberg myself yet.
Last edited by Count Silvio on Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--

Lord Neville Crispin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:06 pm

Hello good sirs and greetings from the continent.

Sñr Juan Pablo de Español

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:15 pm

Hello chums I represent the whiskey drinker amongst us :tippin:

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:40 pm

JuanPablo you old devil! I've not seen you since 1942! :poppin:
--

Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:44 pm

admin wrote:JuanPablo you old devil! I've not seen you since 1942! :poppin:
Well I had a few issues with the blasted Gerrys after they shot my Hurricane down over Normandy. A frightfully embarrassing mess, you know.

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:53 pm

Enter Theodore S. Maul, Esq. - you may call me Ted. I represent the Arctic.

While we are excluding B-words such as Bundaberg (which gave me heartburn) could we also add Bacardi to the list? It is strictly in bad taste as indicated by this gentleman:

Henry Deare, Adventurer

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:58 am

While the Bacardi White is not a great rum, I've found the 151 to be fairly decent. Surprising given its exceedingly high alcohol content.

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:53 am

Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. Your remarks are duly noted. In the process I have learnt that the ventures of Don Facundo Bacardí Massó have also covered brands such as Bombay Sapphire of which I am a fan.

Somewhat alarmingly they seem to sell a knock-off Havana Club in the US which is not the Cuban rum. Similarly someone else is selling Dominican 'Cohiba' (commonly known Cohiba red dot) in the US because the Cubans cannot get trademark rights on the United section of of the new continent.
And therefore I conclude that Carthage must be destroyed.

Henry Deare, Adventurer

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:09 pm

I tried the Havana Añejo 7 Años tonight. Unfortunately I mixed it with Coke so a lot of the taste was masked by sugar. It was not altogether unpleasant though.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:28 pm

Havana Club 7 años is probably going to be my first review on this site. Definitely not unpleasant, a typical clean taste for a cuban rum. You should try it neat in a normal whisky glass might I add. The nose is a bit attacking if in a snifter.
--

Henry Deare, Adventurer

Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:32 pm

Duly noted, sir.
I await the review.

Captain James Macenruig

Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:54 pm

Evening Gents. I'm Captain James Macenruig, joining the Australian contingent. While I'm a Rum appreciator, my main vices are Scotch Whisky and Cigars.

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Sat Aug 25, 2007 4:33 pm

Welcome Captain. I'm a fellow whisky and cigar admirer but rarely enjoy the two together. I own some land on Islay but don't limit myself to the stills of the Highlands.
And therefore I conclude that Carthage must be destroyed.

Lord Billingsworth

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:14 pm

Salutations! It is common knowledge that far and wide I am known as Lord Hartwig Billingsworth III, but what many may not know is that I commandeer a fleet of shabby chic trade vessels, which transport various cargos such as rum, spice, rum, artillery, rum, and did I mention rum?

Ever so often I fancy a game of croquet in the courtyard of my newly constructed island retreat Chateau de Billingsworth.

There are so many wonderful things that I would share with you, however time is of the essence, as currently I am being tailed by the Spanish Armada. It seems as though I have violated some shipping laws, and am now desperately trying to outrun these bastards.

I bid you all good day and farewell!
I shall write back in a fortnight once I have reached safe harbor!

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:49 pm

Greetings Lord Billingsworth :tippin:. You arrive precisely at the right time as it appears I've just run out of rum and I am in dire need of more. I wouldn't normally need to buy rum but my dastardly plantation slaves have vanished in thin air leaving the plantations without proper care. How much would you charge for say... 30 barrels of your finest?
:pith:

May your ship sail with the speed of a thousand flying camels and I hope you do not encounter any spanish war galleons on your journey.
--

baron wankelporkington

Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:21 pm

wel well well what do we have here, i would have thought whisky to be a much more refined vice but when youre without i spose rum will have to do.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Sep 04, 2007 5:58 pm

Not at all dear baron. These days rum is comparable to whiskey and it is gaining more respect each year. Welcome to Refined Vices :tippin:.
--

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Sep 18, 2007 1:54 pm

It appears the spaniards have got to Lord Billingsworth. It has been more than a fortnight now since his last letter. I will post him a copy of The Count of Montecristo to the prison he is being held at after I've found out which prison it is. :handshake: I'm sure he will find it very helpful.
--

Rum Runner

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:27 pm

Salutations to the brethren! I am loathe to reveal my true name here because the last time I did such on a similiar forum I received a number of off topic replies from the tax collector and my ex-wives. That being said, I am happy to find a place such as this where we can just be ourselves. Currently I am waylaid in the West Indies waiting out the end of hurricane season until Diego can get his boat back in the water so we can make the run up to the Keys with the latest batch of homemade rum. I shall keep you abreast as I loll about here enjoying my morning rum and cigar.
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:46 pm

Happy to have you here. Tell me, is your homemade rum similar to the other rums in West Indies? I would be most interested in hearing more about your rum.
--

Rum Runner

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:29 pm

My homemade rum is similiar, though I like to think it's a cut above. The locals here have quite a strong tradition of unauthorized distilling and were happy to take me under their wing when I gained their trust (aided with a few farthings). I am now held in some esteem by the locals for enthusiastically adopting the custom. However, I have not been fully accepted because my wife has not embraced the local custom of being traded for a caskful of homemade rum, then traded back when the empty cask is returned. Any suggestions are welcome on how to convince her to go "native".

Rum Runner

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:32 pm

By the way Count. Is that a Peterson pipe you're sporting there in your profile picture?

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:50 pm

Actually I think it is, however I am more of a cigar man these days. Señor Juan Pablo de Español probably has some ideas for making your wife go "native." I will notify him of your little obstacle. :pith:
--

Rum Runner

Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:58 pm

Dear Count. You are (of course) forgiven for not knowing the marque of your pipe. Thanks for the lead on Don Juan Pablo. I'm receptive to his keen insight. Regards.

Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:30 pm

Well I am always keen to oblige a fellow of the gentry when my aid is needed. Now let me see where I should begin. I rid myself of the first spouse rather hastily when it was decided that she was not of a suitable 'claibre' for the kind of grooming you have in mind. She was a spiteful harlot I assure you.

The second was broken within weeks via methods that could see me spending a good deal of time having my character reformed in the old Bastille at his Majesty's courtesy, so we won't get into that.

Now the third I can give details on. She was a little tougher than the second, but following her I was keen to set myself a new challenge. Now she first set foot in the Indies shortly after our betrothal. She was quite taken the beauty of the place and this was duly noted by myself. Within a few days I carefully broached the subject of her spending more time getting to know the locals. She was cautious at first, but I explained they might show her the hidden charms of the place and she was taken with the idea. I accidentally forgot to mention the trade of rum between them and I. It was then important that I consumed it within a few days before she grew suspicious as to why I wouldn't bring her back home. I was hungover like a pirate for three days afterwards let me tell you.

Now the fourth... well that's another story.

Rum Runner

Tue Oct 30, 2007 12:57 am

Dear Don Juan Pablo. Firstly, I hope you take no offense in my addressing you as "Don". Senor does not do justice to a man of your talents and accumen.. Secondly, thank you for taking the time from your pursuits to attend to my "obstacle". As you have related some of your past challenges, I feel obligated to relate a few of mine in kind. My first bride was indeed a "native" and readily embraced the local custom. However I knew it was not to last. Whilst her father and mother readily endorsed our union, her demands were such that my back just could not take it. I still see her from time to time. At twenty something she is looking a bit long in tooth after 4 kids in 5 years. My second was an ex-pat whom I thought a marvelous match. After a short courtship and exchange of vows it became apparrent that we were too much alike. I was constantly trying to abscond with her bank account, and she mine. Last I heard she had taken up with a Rock Star named Mick something or other whilst his yacht was berthed here on a layover down island. I won't speak of my third and fourth as I do not want to bring a maudlin tone to the forum. My current one is my last for now. She is perfect ( except for the minor obstacle) in every way. I think your proposal is brilliant! I just may need to slip her a mickey finn to get her over the hump, so to speak. If I get an invite for a second cask, I'll know she's a keeper. By the way, I am currently ensconsced in a comfortable "casita" on one of the West Indies rocks known as the "Spanish Virgins". Curiously, I have yet to find one. Regards.

Dacaqa Fe Noyetuxuhe

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:06 pm

Good day all. I am Dacaqa Fe Noyetuxuhe of somewhere with Spanish heritage.

Taking Henry Deare up on his first statement, I am surprised that any Australian even consumes that foul swill that is Bundaberg.

Mistress Elena de Tarte

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:46 pm

Excellent website you have here, good sirs.

While I am not a particular fan of rum, I do enjoy the occasional scotch on the rocks and find a gentleman smoking a cigar to be quite dashing.

• Information