Kitchen Gin

Share your ingenious monstrosities and horrific blasphemies here.

Moderator: paulipbartender

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:11 pm

I ordered a Martini last night. I was engaged in conversation and wasn’t watching the bartender as she poured me a stiff, ice-cold concoction that she then gingerly placed on the table in front of me. My mouth watered a little bit. But as I carefully raised the precariously filled glass to my lips, I could tell something was amiss.

“What kind of gin is this,” I asked?

“Ohhh,” came the reply, “you wanted a gin Martini…”

“Yes, please, a Martini with gin,” I said, as dryly as possible.

Few perfumes are as seductive as the aroma of the juniper berry. My co-worker Maggie Ruggiero also understands the pine-berries’ haunting coax: She braised beef short ribs in juniper-laden red wine to surprisingly sophisticated effect. The resin-heavy broth transforms would-be standard pub fare into a debutante’s delight of a dinner. It’s special. So special, in fact, that I decided to cook her recipe at home. After dinner, the only remains were the cleaned bones and 2 tablespoons of leftover juniper berries.

Of course, I would have saved the berries for the next time I cooked Maggie’s short ribs, except I was out of gin. So I decided to try and make some.

<SNIP>

Ian’s Gin Recipe

1 (750ml) bottle of inexpensive vodka
2 Tbsp juniper berries
3/4 tsp coriander seed
1/4 tsp allspice
1/4 tsp fennel seed
3 green cardamom pods
2 black peppercorns
1 bay leaf, torn into pieces
1 (3-inch) sprig fresh rosemary
1 (2-inch-long) fresh lemon or lime peel
1 (1-inch) sprig fresh lavender
Check out the entry at Gourmet.com
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

ChinaTown
How did you find Refined Vices?: Friends
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:14 am

thanks for that dude.

sounds interesting and delicious.

i never try that before.

this evening i will do that.

thanks for sharing

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information