Sangria

Share your ingenious monstrosities and horrific blasphemies here.

Moderator: paulipbartender

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Archbishop S. M. Octavian
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:52 pm

Ah yes, the lovely contraption that is Sangria.

Maybe not technically a cocktail, but more of a wine punch, its still yet another glorious form of alcohol delivery.

Recipes vary widely and to different effect. Heres a favorite over at the homested

Makes: 1 pitcher

2 Bottles cheaper red wine. California Merlot are a good choice
2 Oranges, cut in half then sliced thin
2 Lemons, cut in half then sliced thin
2 Limes, cut in half then sliced thin
3 Cups Rum
1 cup white sugar
2 cups orange juice

Before slicing the citrus, poke holes in the rind with a fork many times to allow oils to release

Add into pitcher:
Oranges, orange juice, lemons, limes, rum and sugar and mash lightly with a wooden spoon.
Refrigerate for 2 hours for flavors to develop

Add wine and chill, or add ice cubes if desired. Serve cold.

Variations I've used individually with success:
Add a jar of marichino cherries, complete with juice
Add 2-3 shots each of chocolate and coffee flavored liquers (GOOD!)
Substitute half of rum with gray goose vodka
If flavor is too heavy, cut with 1/2 bottle cheap Australian brut champagne

or, serve with a few rum soaked cherries.

Captain James Macenruig

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:52 am

Archbishop, I'm terribly happy to see that there is indeed someone else out there who knows how to make a damn good Sangria.

I fell in love with the drink when I was stationed in the Spanish Alps, and have been terribly disappointed that all of the local bars and restaurants seem to serve an horrible, weak rendition.

Their folly, I understand, is that they fail to add the rum, which simply leaves them with a few gallons of horrible wine and fruit juice.

In addition to your variations, I'd like to suggest a slight modification to the original recipe - the substitution of cane sugar for sugar syrup, simply because the sugar doesn't always dissolve correctly.

It's simple enough for your servants to make for you - just get them to add equal parts of sugar and water into a saucepan, bring slowly to the boil, then chill. The resulting syrup can then be kept in a bottle in the ice-box for future use in all sorts of cocktails.
"Even if a submarine should work by a miracle, it will never be used. No country in this world would ever use such a vicious and petty form of warfare!"
- William Henderson, British admiral(1914)

Bill Gorton

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:31 pm

ah, sangria, you delightful temptress. many a warm afternoon have i lost in her luxurious embrace. sadly, she can be a raging beast the morning after. but such are the trials of the heart, are they not?

i've had many years practice making red wine sangria and i've come to the conclusion that there are two secrets to this wonderful repast - simplicty and patience. don't be tempted to add a cacophany of various fruits and nonsense. keep it simple and you will be most wonderfully rewarded. also allow it proper time to sit. three hours at least but overnight is ideal.

in addition i urge you to try a white wine recipe i stumbled upon many moons ago. certainly it cannot challenge the original on its own terms but, on those particular swealtering afternoons when even sitting in the shade is an exhaustive effort - it is one degree away from perfection (the mint juliep being perfection itself.)

my recipes for these to drinks can be found on my cooking website.
"Never be daunted. Secret of my success. Never been daunted. Never been daunted in public."

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information