Daiquiri 1919

Share your ingenious monstrosities and horrific blasphemies here.

Moderator: paulipbartender

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:06 pm

I tried to do a daiquiri with Angostura 1919 rum as Jeffrey Morgenthaler suggested.
4cl of 1919
2cl of lime juice
1cl (or more) brown sugar simple syrup

I poured the ingredients in the shaker filled with ice and gave it a few shakes.

I think 2cl of lime juice (approximately a juice of one small lime) is too much as it tasted very sour. I tried to balance it out by putting more simple syrup which made it a little better. Just how sour is a daiquiri supposed to be? Also the cocktail doesn't look really attractive. It looks like mud and thats why I think one should stick to using white rums with this cocktail.

This could make an interesting cocktail if done properly. The vanilla of 1919 really comes out in this cocktail.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Dood

Sat Jan 05, 2008 10:11 pm

Count Silvio wrote:Just how sour is a daiquiri supposed to be?
To my way of thinking, this is a question best answered by the drinker. Using different limes could also make a difference.

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:27 pm

Hello chaps - it's been a long and crazy xmas break but now the IPBartenders are back. Hope you've all had a wonderful festive season....

Right, on the subject of the daiquiri I have to get involved. This is probably my desert island cocktail - simple but oh so oh so lovely :)

Looks like your recipe is a little off Count - bit more sugar, and use white sugar syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water) or it'll look horribly muddy

This is on our website

Daiquiri

50ml Cuban light rum
20ml lime juice
15ml sugar syrup

Method: Shake and strain
Glass: large martini or coupette
Garnish: none needed

Comments: While entertaining guests at his mine in Cuba in 1898, Engineer Jennings Cox found that his Gin supply had run out, left with nothing else except local rum, lime and sugar, he mixed them together and the rest is history. Most now know this drink as a slush-puppie style beverage, however the original, served straight up, is the way to drink it and delicious. It was also JFK’s favourite aperitif!

Variations: The ‘Hemingway’ daiquiri is the same as the regular recipe with the addition of grapefruit and maraschino liqueur, alternatively fresh fruits work a treat, particularly banana and strawberry.

**Also I will use just about any aged rum in a daiquiri and I think they work brilliantly. The Appleton or El Dorado 21 year olds are a current fave

SamuraiBartender
How did you find Refined Vices?: Ministry of Rum
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:13 am

To add to Paul's excellent post, I've found so-called 'Black Daiquiris' (both aesthetically & to taste) work marvelously with any of the Barbancourt Haitian Rhum's - the 4-year/3-star in particular is quite nice & as it's a lighter-colored dark r(h)um (no caramel or molasses added at bottling) it lacks much of the 'muddy' look what's been described.

In terms of sourness/sweetness - why omit the Maraschino in favor of a simple syrup? What type of Maraschino do you have access to (if any)? For dark/black Daiquiris or any of the other varieties - give the Maraschino a try over the simple...the difference is brilliant.

I'm not sure what's available in your area, but I know of three brands/producers Luxardo, Maraska, and Stock (there may well be others but these are the only three I've seen & used). Luxardo is the driest & most complex with the heaviest, almost woody, cherry-pit flavor; Maraska is slightly sweeter with a much milder pit-flavor; with Stock being the sweetest with the least all-around flavor of dalmatian pits.

Cheers & Viva la Daiquiri!

• Information