Recommended classic rum cocktails

Share your ingenious monstrosities and horrific blasphemies here.

Moderator: paulipbartender

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:36 pm

All these classic drinks use readily available products and are guaranteed to produce exceptional drinking experiences. They're all highly recommended.

If you like these I'll put up some classics using other spirits

Anejo Highball

40ml Aged Cuban Rum
20ml Orange Curacao
20ml lime juice
dash bitters
Ginger beer

Method: build in glass
Glass: hi-ball
Garnish: Orange and Lime

Comment: A contemporary classic from Mr Dale DeGroff. A tribute to the holy trinity of Caribbean rum drinks, lime, curacao and rum

Mai Tai (Trader Vic’s)

50ml Aged Jamaican Rum
20ml Orange Curacao
20ml Lime juice
20ml Syrup d’orgeat
10ml gomme

Method: shake and strain over cracked ice
Glass: double old fashioned
Garnish: Mint sprig

Comment: ‘Trader’ Vic Bergeron claims to have created this drink for friends of his at his bar in Oakland, CA. The couple who had just returned from Polynesia exclaimed ‘Mai Tai Roe Ae’ meaning “the best, out of this world” Anyhow this drink was originally made with Wray and Nephew 17 y.o which is unavailable except for a few bottles in the hands of collectors

Variation: ‘Trader’ Vic’s mentor Don the Beachcomber might well have fixed the original Mai Tai, a very different concoction, equal parts Cuban and Jamaican rums, lime, grapefruit, falernum, grenadine, Cointreau and a dash of Absinthe. Or if you can be bothered roast some Pineapple and muddle it into the Vic’s recipe above.

Mary Pickford

50ml Cuban rum
50ml FRESH pineapple juice
bar spoon grenadine
dash maraschino

Method: shake and strain
Glass: large martini
Garnish: lime twist

Comments: This drink was created at the Hotel Nacional in Cuba in the 1920’s for silent film star Mary Pickford. This drink is made or broken by the quality of pineapple juice used. Made with fresh pineapple juice it is a simple, easy to drink, summer aperitif, made with cheap carton juice it is a nasty, sickly Alco pop.

Mojito

50ml White Rum
25ml Lime juice
20ml gomme syrup
8 mint leaves
dash of soda (optional)

Method: add all of the ingredients to a hi-ball glass and swizzle with crushed ice.
Glass: Hi-ball

Comments: The British navy has been mixing rum, lime, mint and sugar for over 400 years, however the modern incarnation of this Cuban classic probably came together during prohibition, when the drinking cultures of Cuba and America began to merge.

Variations: again, some fresh fruit or different herbs work well, replace the mint with basil and muddle some strawberries, for example

Pina Colada

50ml Golden Rum
5-6 large chunks of pineapple
25ml Coco Lopez
pinch of salt

Method: blend with crushed ice
Glass: Hurricane
Garnish: Pineapple leaf and cherry

Comments: The Pina Colada was created at the Caribe Hilton in Puerto Rico in 1951. The recipe was sold to Coco Lopez, then a local fruit company, and the recipes creator, a lowly bartender in the hotel, died impoverished

Pineapple Fix

50ml Aged Rum
25ml lemon juice
20ml sugar syrup
3 chunks pineapple

Method: muddle pineapple, shake other ingredients, strain over cubed ice
Glass: Rocks
Garnish: Pineapple leaf

Comments: A fix constitutes a spirit, lemon, and some kind of sweet fruit served short, this is one of the finest examples of this genre.

Planter’s Punch

25ml light rum
20ml Demerara rum
10ml Orange curacao
50ml Fresh Orange
50ml Pineapple
15ml lime juice
10ml simple syrup
dash grenadine
dash angostura

Method: shake and strain over cubed ice
Glass: Hi-Ball
Garnish: Orange and cherry

Comment: This is one version of many for the classic plantation sunshine drink. Refreshing, balanced and delicious. Some version of this drink has been enjoyed in the Caribbean for a couple of hundred years.

Swizzle

50ml Aged rum
10ml Velvet Falernum
10ml Sugar syrup
25ml lime juice
dash angostura bitters

Method: add ingredients to sling glass and swizzle
Glass: Sling
Garnish: Mint sprig and orange slice

Comments: Back in the early 1800’s in Guyana. British ex-pats would enjoy a jug of this drink on the terrace of the Georgetown club. The mixture of Rum, Lime and Bitters would be mixed with a long five-pronged branch-wood swizzle stick. The idea being to swizzle it until frosting appeared on the glass.

Zombie

20ml Cuban light Rum
20ml White Jamaican Rum
20ml Aged Jamaican Rum
20ml Barbadian Rum
20ml Demerara Rum
20ml Grapefruit juice
25ml lime juice
10ml gomme syrup
dash absinthe
dash angostura bitters
15ml maraschino liqueur
15ml velvet falernum

Method: Shake and strain
Garnish: Orange, cherry, lime, pineapple and mint

Comments: This cocktail is one of the most lethal around, don’t skimp on the quality of the rum. Don the beachcomber, who concocted this potion, would limit his guests to two per night. Once when strong-armed by some shady characters in his bar for a third, Don agreed to a $100 bet as to whether he could drink three. Don allegedly laced his drinks with glycerine, making the drink less potent to taste and ensuring it entered his blood stream faster, thus teaching him a lesson and rendering him unconscious (certainly not something we’d recommend doing today!)

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Wed Jan 09, 2008 9:22 pm

paulipbartender wrote: Mai Tai (Trader Vic’s)

50ml Aged Jamaican Rum
20ml Orange Curacao
20ml Lime juice
20ml Syrup d’orgeat
10ml gomme

Method: shake and strain over cracked ice
Glass: double old fashioned
What exactly is syrup d'orgreat and if I can't get it are there any similar products that could replace it and how do you make gomme syrup?
paulipbartender wrote: Zombie

20ml Cuban light Rum
20ml White Jamaican Rum
20ml Aged Jamaican Rum
20ml Barbadian Rum
20ml Demerara Rum
20ml Grapefruit juice
25ml lime juice
10ml gomme syrup
dash absinthe
dash angostura bitters
15ml maraschino liqueur
15ml velvet falernum

Method: Shake and strain
Garnish: Orange, cherry, lime, pineapple and mint

Comments: This cocktail is one of the most lethal around, don’t skimp on the quality of the rum. Don the beachcomber, who concocted this potion, would limit his guests to two per night. Once when strong-armed by some shady characters in his bar for a third, Don agreed to a $100 bet as to whether he could drink three. Don allegedly laced his drinks with glycerine, making the drink less potent to taste and ensuring it entered his blood stream faster, thus teaching him a lesson and rendering him unconscious (certainly not something we’d recommend doing today!)
I guess they don't call it the Zombie for nothing. Anyway I'd like to take that challenge :tippin:. Is there a time limit?

This is something I doubt I could get at a normal bar here as the limit is 4cl of liquor they can give at a time. Speakeasies however...

Is this drink available at IPBartenders?
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:36 am

Absolutely, love to rustle you up a Zombie! They make fantastic ones at the 2 quality tiki bars in London - Mahiki and at Trailer Happiness. I particularly love the Don the Beachcomber story of him adding glycerine to his drinks to make his hassling guests blind drunk!

Orgeat is an almond flavoured sugar syrup. We mostly use the Monin range for our syrups http://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-4054.aspx
But if you're super motivated you could make it yourself:

tiare
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from count silvio

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:00 pm

Hello all, nice to be here!
Thanks Paul for your cocktail recipes. I have long been preferring the Vics Mai Tai but have lately used the DB recipe more and more, maybe its the grapefruit and falernum..
But I really like the idea of using a roast pineapple..and will try that as soon as possible, in fact I can´t wait..(in my mind i`m drooling) so soon heading for the shop to buy a pineapple.

I make my own orgeat and here is a good link that I first got from Scottes: http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Display=26
its not as burdensome as it looks..but if you want to buy readymade orgeat syrup Monins is also good.

Here is a link about Gomme syrup, but you can buy that from Monin as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrup
A Mai Tai a day...

paulipbartender

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:12 pm

Welcome to the Vices forum, Tiare. It's great to see you here from the MOR.

How did the pineapple roasting go? I usually put some chunks into a heavy bottomed frying pan and get them going with some overproof rum, and maybe some cinnamon.
Thanks Paul for your cocktail recipes. I have long been preferring the Vics Mai Tai but have lately used the DB recipe more and more, maybe its the grapefruit and falernum..
It's a different recipe the DB one, and it does have much more flavour layers. I love the simplicity of the TV original recipe - it allows the flavour of the rum to predominate. Particulalrly if you use some crazy ass rare and expensive rum in the mix ... :)

tiare

Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:24 pm

paulipbartender wrote:Welcome to the Vices forum, Tiare. It's great to see you here from the MOR.

How did the pineapple roasting go? I usually put some chunks into a heavy bottomed frying pan and get them going with some overproof rum, and maybe some cinnamon.
Thank you Paul! When I got to the shop they only had bad pineapples..so I will wait a little..too lazy today for going to another shop in this dark and cold weather.
Instead I´m going to treat myself to a punch rose..will post the recipe soon.
I was actually going to ask how you did your pineapple baking so its nice you wrote it down. I`m waiting for some overproof rum from Germany (Coruba and Lemon Hart)

I agree that the TVs Mai Tai has the simplicity and really let the rum taste to come through. The TV Mai Tais they serve at the Tiki Room are really nice and strong. They use Havana Club7 and Appleton 12.
I think I have had too many of those at home, hence my new appetite for the DBs version right now..

If I possibly can afford it I want to visit the London Luau in june and then later the UK rumfest.
A Mai Tai a day...

paulipbartender

Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:59 pm

The Rumfest is more of an event than the Lu'au but do let me know if you come to either. I'm involved in both and can make sure a red carpet is laid out :)

tiare

Sat Jan 12, 2008 8:52 pm

I hope to be able to come to at least one of them :)

I guess the rum fest is the best..
A Mai Tai a day...

tiare

Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:32 pm

paulipbartender wrote:
Have my first Mai Tai now with the baked muddled pineapple and I choosed the DB Mai ai this time, next time I`ll try the Vics. The baked pineapple gives it a very warm tropical yummy flavor..
I really like it :D
A Mai Tai a day...

paulipbartender

Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:27 am

Fantastic, glad you enjoyed it - that's a twist on the recipe that one of our bartenders created. A guy called Liam Davy

tiare

Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:49 pm

A real good twist...i must say..

Paul you always come up with these recipes or taste descriptions that
make me just want to go get it right away!

The original Zombie..was never published..I wonder if they ever cracked it.. is your recipe from one of the Bums books or is it your own invention?

When I asked for a Zombie in Tiki Room they didn?t know how to make one, so I need to visit the Mahiki.

How many Tiki bars do you have in London?
A Mai Tai a day...

paulipbartender

Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:07 pm

Tiki is very cool in London right now. There are 2 main bars - Mahiki is the favourite haunt of the royal princes and all the moneyed set and Trailer Happiness in Notting Hill is one of the coolest bars anywhere on the planet. It also helps they're manned by some of the world's best bartenders. Read this article which was written about our Rumfest and the Tiki cocktail comp I organised;
http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/food/2007/10/a_rum_do.html

Here's some stuff on the Zombie you might find interesting

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/dinin ... i.html?8br

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/11/28/dining/281trex.html

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_85012863

tiare

Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:21 pm

I think The trailer Happiness seems to be the place of choice, I can really visualise me there. Those 3 times i`ve been to London before I always lived very near Portobello rd, but that was so long time ago I don´t remember the name of the street or the hotel.But i liked that area, its very relaxed.
If I go to London I want to visit both bars of course. How are the drinks in comparaison? To me it looks like that treasure chest drink of Mahiki is more of a hype than a real crafted tiki drink..(?)
A Mai Tai a day...

paulipbartender

Thu Jan 17, 2008 4:24 pm

The treasure chest is the real deal - it's a great drink without being notably unique. When you come you'll have to go to both bars.

Trailer is great with a really welcoming atmosphere as long as you're not there on Fri/Sat when it can get shoulder to shoulder. The best thing is, our bar is 10 minutes walk away up the road :D

tiare

Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:18 pm

paulipbartender wrote:The treasure chest is the real deal - it's a great drink without being notably unique. When you come you'll have to go to both bars.

The best thing is, our bar is 10 minutes walk away up the road :D
OK! if you say its the real deal than I believe you,! i really trust your expertise here, I myself is a novice. But the treasure chest is not a one man drink, eh? and expensive i guess..

Lucky you..2 great bars so close.
A Mai Tai a day...

paulipbartender

Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:40 pm

£100 for the treasure chest - it's supposed to be drunk by (pieces of) 8.

London's full of bars - and full of bars manned by friends, who are absent minded when it comes to the bill :)

tiare

Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:45 pm

The Treasure Chest must be quite a memorable drink then.. :wink:
Last edited by tiare on Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Mai Tai a day...

tiare

Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:30 pm

paulipbartender wrote: London's full of bars - and full of bars manned by friends, who are absent minded when it comes to the bill :)
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I tried the Mai Tai now with the TVs recipe and the baked pineapple..i baked the pineapple a bit longer this time and with some more overproof rum (Lemon Hart demerara) and it turned out nice..
So nice i now have had 3 large ones and i must have made them strong because I feel quite say....zombied out, maybe its the overproof....pineapples goes alcoholic very easily.
The rum pair tonight is Havana club7 and Appleton 12.

This makes me wonder how it would taste with some baked banana muddle..or not muddle, rather mixed..?
A Mai Tai a day...

paulipbartender

Sat Jan 19, 2008 8:43 pm

Do your posts get more multi-coloured the drunker you get??

:D

Sounds like an awesome little drinking mission you're on. For me, I'm in with the little'un and other half tonight so I'm applying some damage to a bottle of Flor de Cana 7, but without any of the creativity you're displaying.

Have a lovely evening Helena

tiare

Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:12 pm

paulipbartender wrote:Do your posts get more multi-coloured the drunker you get??

:D
:lol: :lol: :lol: ...Only ONE Mai Tai as yet..(and this is the next evening)

Mixology archeolgy, isn`t that interesting? there were a few vintage tiki drinks that contained a bit of Absinthe, Pernod, Pimento dram and various Bitters.
I saw Absinthe is in your DB Mai Tai recipe.
As for bitters i saw that Bittermens are coming up with a new bitter specially made for tiki drinks.Not yet available though, except if you live in the US you can have a sample.
http://bittermens.com/the-bitters/
A Mai Tai a day...

Henry Deare, Adventurer

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:40 am

I can heartily recommend the Rum Shrub.
As the the cocktail requires a lot of preparation (days), you may have a hard time finding a bar that knows how to make them.

tiare

Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:30 pm

If you mean the Creole shrub then i think there are better bars that serve it, bottled and maybe also even homemade.
A Mai Tai a day...

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:35 pm

tiare wrote:Hello all, nice to be here!
But I really like the idea of using a roast pineapple..and will try that as soon as possible, in fact I can´t wait..(in my mind i`m drooling) so soon heading for the shop to buy a pineapple.

I make my own orgeat and here is a good link that I first got from Scottes: http://fxcuisine.com/default.asp?Display=26
its not as burdensome as it looks..but if you want to buy readymade orgeat syrup Monins is also good.

Here is a link about Gomme syrup, but you can buy that from Monin as well.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syrup
Is it just me or is there a part missing from that FXCuisine Orgeat recipe?
--

Dood

Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:40 pm

Got to try this recipe for orgeat at Tales. It's the most amazing thing I've ever had.

http://underhill-lounge.flannestad.com/ ... s-version/

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Jul 24, 2008 6:46 pm

Thanks Dood! Looks a bit too much for me though, I will have to make a smaller amount unless I throw a Mai Tai party. Hmm now theres an idea...
--

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:12 pm

Well I found a bottle of rose flower water but couldn't find a similar bottle of orange flower water. Instead I found orange flower extract in oil form. I hope this will do. All I need now are the almonds and I should be good to go.

The things you do to have a drink...
--

tiare

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:42 pm

The orange flower extract in oil is not the same thing! so be VERY careful with the 0.5 drop here..or if a t all..i would use it my bath instead.

Orange flower water is a entirely different story. I can find it everywhere here, do you want me to send you a bottle?
A Mai Tai a day...

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:55 pm

Thanks for the heads up Tiare. No its okay, I think I will make the extract a little mellower with water.
--

• Information