Licor 43

Everything that is not rum, whiskey or brandy & cognac.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
ColonelKurtz
How did you find Refined Vices?: Tatu :D
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:31 pm

From the Wikipedia article:

"Licor 43, or Cuarenta Y Tres (Spanish for "43"), is a bright yellow Spanish liqueur. It is made from citrus and fruit juices, flavored with vanilla and other aromatic herbs and spices, in total 43 different ingredients (hence the name).

The story behind Licor 43 dates back to the time of the Romans. After having conquered the city of Quart Hadas, they discovered liquor made from a combination of citrus fruits and aromatic plants. This drink’s popularity soon traversed the leadership hierarchy of the Roman Empire. This popularity has continued to present day culture. Made of a mix of citrus and orange blossom flavors with a subtle vanilla tone, a sip of Licor 43 is marketed as “conjuring a feeling of a summer”.

Licor 43 also known as "Cuarenta Y Tres" is 31%abv / 62 proof and is a light bodied, sweet liqueur. In color it is yellow tinged with a touch of gold. The aroma is sharp, warm, and complex, with vanilla up front; and then tangy sweet fruit, spices, and an aged rum like presence. The flavor is similar to the aroma; vanilla, complex intertwangled spices, tangy fruits, and hints of citrus, carried by a flavor similar to fine aged rum.
"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Licor_43

Kahlua was my liqueur tipple of choice. Then I moved on to frangelico. (See here http://www.refinedvices.com/forums/view ... f=14&t=138). Then when I asked for it one night in a lovely restaurant in Melbourne, the very knowledgeable waitress asked if I would like to try something else she recommended. Readily open to new experiences I agreed. She came back with Limoncello, as she was out of this mysterious new drink she promised. Needless to say, the limoncello was, well, awful.

however on returning to the same said restaurant several months later, she recognized me, gave me a big smile, and toodled off to the bar, returning with a tumbler filled with what looked like ambrosia.

Beautiful complex yet gentle aroma on the nose. Lovely viscous sheen on the glass. And the taste. Oh my goodness. I leave it to you to discover this magical gift from the Spanish.

If you have yet to explore this fine drink, I suggest you purchase some forthwith. Can be quite hard to find, and rarely found in bars, it will usually be located in shops with the Galliano et al.

Do yourself a favour and acquire a tipple of it today.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Thu Jan 12, 2012 12:53 pm

Nice review Colonel, I haven't tried this but you make it sound good. Have you tried mixing any cocktails with it?
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

ColonelKurtz
How did you find Refined Vices?: Tatu :D
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:41 am

Haven't felt exotic enough to try yet, but will soon when I have my bar setup.

Lot's of ice for sure

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:47 pm

Sorry, this one has shilling smeared all over it. IMHO, and also that of the Wiki linked. A peek at this "Licors" homepage home page features a stunning piece of work by a well-paid advertising and marketing firm.

Oddly enough I was just reading a wonderful book "The Philosopy of Whisky", who spent an entire chapter discussing the modern trend of promoting not quality, but barely credible and romantic backstories. In this regard their home page does not disappoint. All glam and debatable backstory...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

• Information