This ain't stamp collecting

News
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Tue May 20, 2008 8:02 am

Wired wrote:Making moonshine has gone from a backwoods black art to a high-end hobby practiced by "whiskey geeks" with a taste for top-shelf hooch.

Unlike their bootlegging predecessors, who cooked up big batches of white lightning and distributed the illegal booze out of the backs of cars, today's moonshiners focus on quality rather than quantity.

"It took me years, but with practice and dedication you can make any spirit every bit as good as a commercial distiller," says Dave Robison, 42, owner of Pioneer Spirits, a single-batch distillery in Chico, California. "You might not be able to reproduce it exactly, but it will be as good as anything you can buy on the top shelf."

Home distillation of liquor used to be the province of backwoods bootleggers. Up until 1974, when the world price of sugar skyrocketed, commercial moonshiners throughout the Southeastern United States made enough money making hooch that it was worth the risk of getting caught by federal revenuers.

Today, making your own liquor is as illegal as ever, and a lot less lucrative. In fact, it's considerably cheaper to buy it off the shelf.

As a result, today's home distillers are quintessential do-it-yourselfers. Many are engineers and techies, much like the liquor connoisseurs who attend the Whiskies of the World Expo each year in San Francisco. "We have a whole audience that we refer to as the whiskey geek," event founder and organizer Riannon Walsh says. "I think 90 percent of them are techies."

Read everything about moonshine on the frontpage.
Anyone here ever tried making their own hooch? Other than Angelsword of course who makes excellent rum. :cheers:
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

tiare
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from count silvio
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed May 21, 2008 8:51 pm

No.. and i doubt i will, it simply looks to difficult..i stick to my infusions and cocktails but i find it very interesting and very fascinating.
A Mai Tai a day...

AngelSword

Fri May 23, 2008 4:13 am

Whiskey is simply distilled beer. Malt Whisky is a bit more difficult. I still have a bit of my Texas Single Malt on a back shelf.

Emily10
How did you find Refined Vices?: google
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:21 am

Reading some of stamp catalogs to get a feel for the market and what kind of price it is a good way to determine how to start stamp collecting. If the collection focuses on rare stamps or collection, the user should be aware of the value of the product before you start using their money. A common mistake that many people when they start to learn is that they equate old rare and therefore will pay a premium for time stamps. A quick glance at a catalog that shows this is not necessarily the case, making it essential to spend time at the beginning best way to learn how to start stamp collecting.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:55 pm

Yes and this thread is of course all about stamp collecting. :hsughw:

I've removed the link from your comments as this post appears to be spammish.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

• Information