Single malt buried for 100 years

News
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:03 pm

A Canadian artist is aiming to create the world’s oldest single malt whisky by burying a cask in a Glenfiddich Distillery warehouse at Dufftown for 100 years.

The whisky, which was buried yesterday, comes from the distillery and is part of a piece of work called A Drink To Us (When We’re Both Dead) by Toronto-based artist Dave Dyment to mark the end of this year’s Glenfiddich Artist in Residence programme. He has been working with Glenfiddich’s malt master David Steward, head warehouseman Eric Stephen and head cooper Don Ramsey to decide on the best conditions to bury the whisky in. They hope the cold, damp environment will allow the liquid to age without suffering too much evaporation.

The artist was originally going to create a sound piece to be played at Glenfiddich for a year but changed his mind once he arrived at the distillery on June 2.

Mr Dyment said: “A lot of my work is about time and I like the idea of selling something that somebody can’t use themselves but pass on instead. In all likelihood it will pass through three generations of hands before it is enjoyed.“

The ‘us’ in the title refers to the relationship between myself and the buyer, but also the buyer’s relationship with the person it is passed on to.

“As we have no idea just how the spirit will mature and develop in character the project will have a sense of wonder for the buyer and a sense of expectation for whoever owns it in 100 years.”

The artist has also produced 25 presentation boxes which will be returned for filling once the cask is uncovered in 2108.

Half of these will be sold at Glenfiddich for £1,000 each, and come with a contract of sale and a map for the eventual holder to find the location of the buried cask.

The artist in residence programme was set up in 2002 and has attracted artists from all over the world.

Source: Press and Journal
100 years is a long time, a lot of things could go wrong underground. I have to wonder how the barrel is protected from rotting in the damp ground...
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information