News: Remarkable cache of rare Jamaica Rum found

News
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sun Nov 18, 2007 3:42 pm

Original frontpage post
Judging from the labels and bottles, these rums were bottled around
1900-1910, and had likely 20 to 30 years in cask prior to that. It's clear
from the packaging that this was regarded as a superb quality rum
even at the time it was bottled. This is an exceptional discovery - the
nose is one of the most exotic and powerful I've ever experienced.

19th century rum of this quality is extremely rare - far more so than equivalently fine cognacs or armagnacs. At the time, top quality rums
were regarded by noted connoisseurs like George Saintsbury (in his
legendary "Notes from a Cellar Book" published in 1920) as on a par
with the finest cognacs. Saintsbury writes how rare old fashioned dark
rums (like these bottles) were becoming, and how superior they were
to the paler, lighter rums then coming into vogue.
There should be more finds like this! Too bad they are all sold out. If you know of anymore news like this I'd like to get them on the frontpage.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Rum Runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:30 pm

Dear Count. What a find! I wonder where you found this post? I would love a link to it. Back in the early '80's when I was still teething on spirits whilst living in the Colony, I came a cross a stockist named Daryll Corti, of Corti Bros. in Sacramento, California. He remains a brilliant taster and a fountain of esoterica on all things potable. He had managed to come across a cache' of Jamaican rum from Harvey's of Bristol which had been shipped in cask to the wharfs and laid in cask, in bond, for anywhere from 15 to 30 years, then bottled. They were described as "Dunder Pit" rums. The aforementioned being equivalent to the "Sour Mash" of Whiskey. I acquired a few bottles of such. I can only describe the experience as like "sex in a bottle"!
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:50 pm

The link is in the article right below the tasting notes on the frontpage and above the link to this thread. I always include a link to the source in my news post.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Rum Runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Nov 18, 2007 10:16 pm

Dear Count. You will excuse my abesentedmindedness in not viewing the "Front page".
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

• Information