Whats eating Refined Vices?

Post here if you would like to drop a comment, ask a question or report a problem.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:25 pm

Like every webmaster I'm worried about the development of his website and the happiness of the members of the website. Recently I've noticed a drop in the member activity here in the forums so I would like to know your opinions on what is there that I can do to make this place better for you and the rest of the members?

If you have any suggestions or opinions please let me know. :)
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:45 am

Personally old chap I've just been frighteningly busy and not had the chance to get involved.

To be frank so many of the topics that I might raise here I'm inclined to bring up in to the larger audience at the Ministry. There are many subjects covered here that aren't found there but perhaps points of difference might be re-examined. Blogs, videos, 'how to's', q&a's with blenders, bartenders, connoisseurs....., debating threads designed to be contentious....

Just from the top of my head

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:03 pm

Thanks for your opinion Paul.

Can you be more specific about the videos? By blogs do you mean forum blogs for members where they can blog about whatever?

I am actually planning a video gallery for the frontpage of some sort, tutorials for cutting and lighting a cigar for instance (discussion threads about the videos in the forums). It is just a matter of getting or creating original videos now :). This would probably address the "how to's", no? If you have any suggestions for that I will gladly hear them.

Keep the suggestions coming guys :tippin:
--

Dacaqa Fe Noyetuxuhe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:32 pm

Count Silvio wrote:... It is just a matter of getting or creating original videos now :). This would probably address the "how to's", no? If you have any suggestions for that I will gladly hear them.
...:
such as people creating videos showing that person making various mixes or cocktails or pouring various drinks to make whatever?

paulipbartender

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:00 am

Count Silvio wrote:Thanks for your opinion Paul.

Can you be more specific about the videos? By blogs do you mean forum blogs for members where they can blog about whatever?

I am actually planning a video gallery for the frontpage of some sort, tutorials for cutting and lighting a cigar for instance (discussion threads about the videos in the forums). It is just a matter of getting or creating original videos now :). This would probably address the "how to's", no? If you have any suggestions for that I will gladly hear them.

Keep the suggestions coming guys :tippin:
Just thinking about reasons one might keep returning. Blogs like Tiare's provide regular updates from someone passionately exploring spirits and videos could encompass just about anything. Relevant items on youtube or as you mentioned specifics like 'how to cut cigars' etc.

I'll do what I can to help but I've found it hard enough just to get you the report from the Appleton Estate!

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:05 pm

paulipbartender wrote: Just thinking about reasons one might keep returning. Blogs like Tiare's provide regular updates from someone passionately exploring spirits and videos could encompass just about anything. Relevant items on youtube or as you mentioned specifics like 'how to cut cigars' etc.
Hmm, yes I admit my own updates aren't the most regular. Lucky to get 1 or 2 updates a week. Sourcing original news is hard enough. Where to find these bloggers though?
paulipbartender wrote:I'll do what I can to help but I've found it hard enough just to get you the report from the Appleton Estate!
Its done when its done and I'm sure it will be worth the wait and I greatly appreciate your efforts :tippin:. I will owe you one, or more drinks...
--

Amarantha

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:49 pm

When I win the lottery, you may depend upon me to come here and post all my rare whisky acquisitions :P In the meantime, I'm doing a Master of Finance and planning a wedding, so rather busy atm ;)

From my experience on other fora, things that generate/maintain traffic include new developments in the topic under discussion (eg a new album on a musician's forum), ongoing threads that invite general contributions (eg "What did you dream last night?" or "The rant thread") and games such as word association threads or photoshop challenges. Social stuff, rather than news, which people tend to read and move on rather than respond.

For a forum such as this, new developments are usually things like a new rum expression or similar, and won't generate as much discussion as eg. a film release on a Harry Potter forum. Ongoing threads could include such topics as "What are you drinking right now?" or "Post your own cocktail creations here." Games could be things like a cocktail creation challenge with the ingredient of the month.

Good luck with it :)

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sun Aug 24, 2008 7:28 pm

Thank you for your feedback Amarantha. I find your suggestions about the cocktail challenge intriguing, perhaps I will try to create some kind of competition although if anyone else wants to undertake this task you are free to do so any time. And remember that you are all allowed to post any threads you think would be interesting to these forums.

Thanks again!
--

paulipbartender

Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:09 pm

Sorry I've not been active in here much Count. I'm snowed under with the ACr rum campaign at the moment, and RumFest is looming. I'll try and contribute more if I can

xxx

• Information