A Somewhat Frivolous Suggestion!

Post here if you would like to drop a comment, ask a question or report a problem.
Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:01 pm

Or maybe not. As the lover of history I am, I was struck by the naming of this forum section as "The Rum Cellar". Now I'm sure we've all heard of wine cellars (a rich man for whom I once house sat had quite a nice one and offered that I "... feel free to pick out any wine you like and there's also a freezer full of fine cuts of beef...". It was a fun weekend for my then new bride and I. And I can accept "Whiskey Cellar" as well.

But somehow the "Rum Cellar" seems somehow not just quite right. Perhaps because I've not been exposed to this usage or even the existance of such. Or maybe it seems too contemporary. And roving back through history we are surely aware of the value of rum, not only as a cargo, but also to keep the sailors (or pirates) happy. And just where did they keep this rum?

Well the cargo would be in the "hold" and the crew's store in the "locker". This would lead to wonderful and historically lovely names for this section as "The Rum Hold", "The Rum Store" or my favorite, "The Rum Locker". Now of course this may be a really, really bad idea, but those who know me and my humble site well are well aware that I am a "Compleat Idiot", if not "The Compleat Idiot" and as such am expected to have such notions.

But a notion it is. What say you?
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:31 am

I like that idea actually, very much. I considered various options when I was making these forums but the right name never came to me so I just consistently named these two forums as the cellar. Before I rush into anything though I'd like to hear what others think. I've been told it is not a good idea to be changing constantly to keep a sense of familiarity but I'm not against this change.

I have moved this thread to feedback.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Dacaqa Fe Noyetuxuhe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:54 am

The Rum Store sounds a good suggestion.

Amarantha
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:16 pm

I like both "locker" and "store" :)
Lead me not into temptation; I can find it myself.

• Information