Zaya 12

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Senator Badfellow
How did you find Refined Vices?: Count Silvo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:54 am

What say you of this rum, ladies and gentlemen? It's been a favorite of mine for several years now.

Granted, it is no Ron Zacapa Centenario 23. And granted, my varied tastes for rum generally tend to gravitate toward the sweet earthiness of Guatemalan persuasion. This Zaya, she is a sultry and selacious beauty, and a bit of a bombita atomico. A 750ml bottle is put on the table with dark chocolate truffles and disappears more quickly than virtue on prom night.

It would further the interests of cocktail art to add a Guatemalan rum such as Zaya to the mix. However, with spirits so devine, one is often aptly content to taking the indulgence neat and nothing more. Dillema ensues.

As a second inquiry: what cocktail, if any, might such heavenly cane nectar lend itself toward?

-From the Office of the Hon. Senator Badfellow
The Reformed 24/7 Party
District of Tippler Heights, USA
Thereabouts, Terra-

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:28 am

Ahh the Zaya, it still manages to elude my grasp. I hear people say it is very similar to Zacapa 23 only less sweeter. I've noticed people usually divide into two groups when talking about these rums, one of them likes Zaya more than Zacapa 23 and vice versa.

I believe Zaya is made by Industrias Licoreras. The same people who make Zacapa but it is a private label hence it is not connected to Zacapa directly. That might explain the similarity... or not.

As for cocktails, I believe Paulipbartender is the best one to answer this particular question. All I know it would have to be a cocktail where the refinement of this spirit is not lost.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Rum Runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:15 pm

Indeed this rum is of the most evocative nature...I differ on one small point...I find it salacious rather than selacious.
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

paulipbartender

Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:26 am

Please forgive the straight-forward answer (little pressed for time in the office today).

Just discussed this with the bartender experts and they agree, drink it neat or on the rocks. If you want to mix with it, you can make a standard daiquiri or the non-politically correct named Mulata Daiquiri

Mulata
50ml Zaya
12.5ml brown creme de cacao
12.5ml lime juice
dash (5ml or so) sugar syrup
shake and strain into chilled glass

The brown c-d-c brings out the chocolate notes in the Zaya but shouldn't overpower it.

Senator Badfellow
How did you find Refined Vices?: Count Silvo

Wed Apr 23, 2008 6:38 am

Rum Runner wrote:Indeed this rum is of the most evocative nature...I differ on one small point...I find it salacious rather than selacious.
You'll forgive the oversight, I hope. Occasionally, the trapeze is walked without the benefit of a net, or spell check.

paulipbartender wrote:Please forgive the straight-forward answer (little pressed for time in the office today).

Just discussed this with the bartender experts and they agree, drink it neat or on the rocks. If you want to mix with it, you can make a standard daiquiri or the non-politically correct named Mulata Daiquiri

Mulata
50ml Zaya
12.5ml brown creme de cacao
12.5ml lime juice
dash (5ml or so) sugar syrup
shake and strain into chilled glass

The brown c-d-c brings out the chocolate notes in the Zaya but shouldn't overpower it.
I'm from the school of neat myself, sir.

Interesting, and thank you for the refined recipe. It shall be mixed.

General inquiry:
What would be an acceptable time frame for infusing a rum such as Zaya with raw single-origin cacao nibs, say from Santander, Colombia? And without extracting too much bitterness or astringency? Certainly, cacao is not as forgiving as the vanilla bean in such matters...

tiare
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from count silvio

Sat May 10, 2008 1:38 pm

Senator Badfellow wrote:Certainly, cacao is not as forgiving as the vanilla bean in such matters...
I wouldn`t try to infuse such a nice rum as Zaya..if you still want to try i would recommend that you make a very small batch..and let it sit just over night first and then taste frequently if you decide to leave it in for longer.

But if you want some chcocolate notes in the Zaya i think the cocktail recipe Paul posted would be just perfect?

BTW: I`ve heard some rumours that Zaya might be changed or retired (?) : http://www.ministryofrum.com/forums/sho ... 416&page=2

I wonder if that is true..?
A Mai Tai a day...

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat May 10, 2008 2:32 pm

tiare wrote: BTW: I`ve heard some rumours that Zaya might be changed or retired (?)
I wonder if that is true..?
I certainly hope not. It would be a shame if I never got to review or even taste it.
--

Dood

Mon May 12, 2008 10:10 pm

I'm a big fan of Zaya & Ginger myself. The Zaya has the fortitude to stand up to some rather strong ginger beers.

AngelSword

Sat May 17, 2008 3:57 am

If Zaya goes away, all is not lost. Temptryst Ancien has the same general taste profile but with a bit more pot still flavor and a lot more aroma. Ask for it by PM!

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat May 17, 2008 9:08 am

Really? Can you tell us more about this rum of yours?
--

AngelSword

Mon May 19, 2008 9:57 am

I'll bottle some next month and send out samples to a few of my favorite reviewers.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:31 am

I forgot to add to this thread but better late than never right? The new Zaya is produced in Trinidad now and in the newer bottles it will say Trinidad rather than Guatemala and as I hear these old products are going fast so get yours if you can find them not that the new Trini Zaya is bad.
--

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Wed Oct 15, 2008 12:43 pm

For some reason I am seeing more Zaya available lately, as low as $37 USD. Soon to be $37,000 USD as our currency deflates, lol. As readers of this and my own forum know, Zacapa 23 and its reputation are not one in the same. OTOH, Zaya seems to command a more reliable and respected following. It's the Z-23 before the marketing department and taste engineers got to it.

Accordingly I'd be a fool not to snag one of the few remaining bottles. Although a foole I'm not, a Compleat Idiot I am, so I won't. Why, you ask?

I fear I'd like it too much...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:38 pm

Better to have loved than never loved at all Jimbo, if you don't want to love it you might as well send it to me :P. I am curious as to where you found the information that Zaya is the old Z23?
--

Capn Jimbo

Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:47 pm

Count Silvio wrote:Better to have loved than never loved at all Jimbo, if you don't want to love it you might as well send it to me :P. I am curious as to where you found the information that Zaya is the old Z23?
Ooops. Sorry Count, I didn't mean that literally. Only that Zaya was likewise birthed by Industrias Licoreras, but without the stifling sweetness of the Z23.
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Capn Jimbo

Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:24 pm

Ooops..

Although the old Zaya may have been subtly sweet, complex and smooth, the new is not. But while I really don't think much of Z-23 I found the new Zaya Trinidad a unique juxtaposition of heavy sweet and hot! A very unique flavored rum - a hot mama I really liked - and as many know I am anything but a fan of secretly flavored rums. Here's an exerpt from my review:
I must admit I'd already had a few drams of Zaya before Sue Sea got to the party, er tasting. And I was really digging it. More later, but let's get to Zaya's aroma: a very, very thick and pungent and robust sweetness. Powerfully sweet, with vanilla and caramel. This is definitely a flavored rum and its deep, wispy mahogany color is no surprise. Swirling it also reveals confirming and thick, thick, heavy syrupy legs. From the very first kiss of this rum your lips, mouth and throat are coated with a hot, syrupy sweetness...
Sue Sea had MUCH more to say, and this rum really deserved its very long review (Link to long Zaya review...). It's worth a read, wonder what others here think of the new...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

lwtcs
How did you find Refined Vices?: friend

Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:13 am

It pains me to feel compelled to say this,, as I do have a sweet tooth.

But this rum is far too sweet for my preference.

I noted that the markings indicate that content of the bottle is from a blend. I wonder what percentage of the blend was pulled from the 12 yr old barrel? As One assumes a 12 yr old should not need to be loaded with syrup for heavens sake.

Sorry for sounding too blunt (and perhaps thick) but the nose on this rum smelled like,,,,,,,,,,rum cake. And that would be more cake than rum I might add. As if there were a very large percentage of vanilla extract installed.

Fairly smooth going down.
Not too headsy or tailsy

About 3 or 4 ounces into this, I began to detect a distinct plastic after taste with each sip that resonated on the top and back of my tongue. This I found to be most disturbing.

Color is wonderful.
Spitting in the dunder pit when all eyes are elsewhere.

lwtcs
How did you find Refined Vices?: friend

Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:21 am

And so a day later it seems clear to me that an apology to Zaya and to future zaya tasters may be in order.

My evaluation was not really comming from an objective point of reference. But rather a personal preferance.

Although I do stand by my comments,,I certainly do realize that folks do enjoy and value this peticular rum.

Certainly I meant no ill will to the good folks at Zaya or the folk that enjoy the Zaya 12 yr old.

Perhaps I may not be mature enough to offer an evaluation without letting my emotions dominate the frame work of the experience.

Cheers and happy tasting
Spitting in the dunder pit when all eyes are elsewhere.

Edge
How did you find Refined Vices?: Rum Lovers

Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:18 am

This is probably my favorite rum. I have four bottles of it after the largest retailer here in Houston stopped carrying it (Spec's). I bought 6 bottles just to ensure I would have Zaya long-term. I have since found that other retailers in Houston continue to carry Zaya, and I will continue to maintain my four-bottle minimum stock (just in case).

sleepy
How did you find Refined Vices?: rumproject.com

Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:34 am

I like rum, real rum - Zaya 12 fails to qualify!

...but I still enjoy it greatly - as an after dinner liqueur. It's deep vanilla in a sweetened package, with a dusting of cocoa and a bit of leather allow me to forgo a more fattening dessert!

JUST CALL IT LIQUEUR! It bears no resemblance to whatever came out of the still or the aging casks.

• Information