Review: Kimberley Cane Spirit

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Fri May 02, 2008 10:39 pm

Count Silvio wrote:When I first heard the name 'Hoochery' it amused me as well as raised some questions in my mind. According to the website the name 'Hoochery' comes from the word 'Hooch' (no surprise there) which goes back to the Hoochinoo Indian tribe of Alaska who made alcoholic liquor.

Hoochery is located in Kimberley on a farm just outside of Kununurra in the heart of Ord River Valley. Founded in 1995 by a farmer named Spike Dessert, Hoochery is the oldest continuously operating small pot distillery in Western Australia. This small pot distillery has the capacity to produce over 50,000 bottles of rum a year.

Due to being brewed in small vats the characteristics of this un-chill filtered rum may vary from batch to batch. Kimberley Cane Spirit is made from the local Ord River cane molasses and pure "wet season" rain water. This hand bottled rum is aged less than two years in oak in the spirit of Cachaca.

Hoochery's Kimberley Cane Spirit was a gift to me from one of our regular readers from Australia, Dacaqa Fe Noyetuxuhe. The bottle is made of green glass and the unusual label looks like old newspaper which gives it the look of an old fashioned bottle of good old hooch. Other significant details on the bottle are the bottling date, the vat number and a signature that guarantees the authenticity of this product.
Read the full review on the frontpage!

Has anyone ever tasted this rum or other products from Hoochery? (Except Dacaqa of course.)
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

tiare
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from count silvio
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat May 03, 2008 12:06 am

This one sparks my interest Count! i would love to create a cocktail with it..
A Mai Tai a day...

Henry Deare, Adventurer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fri May 09, 2008 2:34 pm

tiare wrote:This one sparks my interest Count! i would love to create a cocktail with it..
Cane Spirit is a strange alcohol and doesn't really play well with other liquids. I don't know of any cocktail that is accentuated with the cane spirit.

tiare

Sat May 10, 2008 1:29 pm

Hmm..i think i should be able to come up with something, maybe on the citrusy side?

I do agree that it might be best for sipping, but i`m a experimenter so i`ll still try it out, at least a little.
A Mai Tai a day...

Henry Deare, Adventurer

Tue May 20, 2008 12:09 pm

tiare wrote:Hmm..i think i should be able to come up with something, maybe on the citrusy side?

I do agree that it might be best for sipping, but i`m a experimenter so i`ll still try it out, at least a little.
I wasn't impressed with how the Cane Spirit reacted with orange juice, but I'm interested to hear what you thought of it.

tiare

Mon Aug 04, 2008 6:33 pm

I have now tasted it neat and my first thought actually was that this rum is best for mixing, but not with orange juice, maybe fresh lime, simple syrup and soda? i will play a little with it in the coming weekend.
A Mai Tai a day...

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Tue Aug 05, 2008 1:36 pm

This hand bottled rum is aged less than two years in oak in the spirit of Cachaca...
I'm confused. This is a molasses based rum, is it not?
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:30 pm

It is made from molasses yes. The part you quoted means that Kimberley is aged less than two years, like Cachaca. It is not actually aged with Cachaca, if thats what confused you?
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Wed Aug 06, 2008 11:36 am

Yes, that clears it up. My confusion was based on the comparison to cachaca's aging (two years or less) - especially as short aging periods are pretty common in rum as well, eg the gold Cruzan at 18 months or most of the whites.
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

• Information