Review: Plantation Rum Jamaica 8 Year Old

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:02 pm

I’ve always been intrigued by the Plantation rums. It is the multitude and the different styles the rums offer, each of the rums capturing the typical style for the island it is made on. The full line of these rums would not only look great on the shelf of a collector but they’d offer a welcome variety of styles for any rum aficionado. This is something I hope to achieve one day, one bottle at a time.

Plantation Rums are produced by Cognac Ferrand who currently offers around 10 different Plantation Rums, all of them bought from distillers around the Caribbean islands and then blended and bottled under the Plantation name by Cognac Ferrand. The rums are produced in pot- and continuous stills and aged in small oak casks previously used for bourbon, cognac or sherry. In which casks each of the Plantation Rums are aged is left for me to guess because there is no mention about the casks on the official website or on the labels of the bottles. The Plantation Rum bottles can be recognized from the straw wrapped around each bottle and the labels on the bottles distinguish the island of origin.
Read the full review on the frontpage.

Count Silvio wrote:Curiously on the back label of the bottle, the rum is described to have a mahogany colour and if that’s the case it must be some rare albino mahogany I am yet to come across.
As it just happens I noticed that the Plantation Rum Jamaica image on their website makes the rum look like it is mahogany colored. Have they changed the product or photoshopped the image or do I have a product that has seriously suffered from sunlight?

On another note the strong floral notes, similar to Angostura 1919, have disappeared from the taste. The first few times I sampled this rum I swear I noticed floral notes in the taste.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

AngelSword

Wed Jun 04, 2008 12:11 am

I may have a different bottling. Mine is marked Jamaica 1998. It is my current overall favourite spirit. Understand that it is not just my #1 best rum. Best overall spirit!

Why such enthusiasm? There are so many suberb spirits! The answer is that when I sip this rum, it convinces me that I am tasting the essence of feminine sexuality.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:45 am

As I understand there is Plantation Rum Jamaica 8 Year Old and a bottling with a vintage date on it. They have three small 0.2 l bottles for sale here, Barbados 1995, Jamaica 1998 and Trinidad 1996 so I will most likely purchase them at some point and review the Jamaican one and compare it to the 8 Year Old.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information