Santa Teresa Gran Reserva

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Fri Jun 20, 2008 8:55 am

Recently while checking the new arrivals in our alcohol shops I noticed two new rums, Santa Teresa 1796 and Santa Teresa Gran Reserva. I'm interested to know how Santa Teresa Gran Reserva compares to 1796.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

AngelSword

Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:57 pm

The 1796 is easily twice the quality of the Gran Reserva. Gran Reserva is gently oaked with a butterscotch caramel linger. The 1796 is much bigger and richer. Principal flavors are oak and dark caramel with hints of vanilla and spice. I consider it a true classic.

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Sat Jun 21, 2008 3:36 pm

I really can't comment on the Gran Reserva, but have reviewed the 1796 at my website (Link to Review), where my dear Sue Sea and myself gave 1796 a solid "8" (out of 10). This is quite a high rating for us. Usually when I'm in doubt I take a quick stop at BTI for comparative ratings.

There, 1796 earns a very respectable "94", quite exceptional there. Still the Gran Reserva garners a remarkable "89" , especially considering its very low price of around $14 or $15, and is rated a "best buy". At BTI, the Gran compares very favorably with many more expensive premium rums. Scotte tried the Gran Reserva in a flight that included Havana Club 7 Year and Flor de Cana 18, two very well respected rums - the Gran Reserva was the winner of the night! That's saying something.

Personally I think I may pick a Gran Reserva and try it. Certainly it is a younger rum, but it appears it has surprising maturity and complexity for its age. Count, do let us know what you think if you try it...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sun Jun 22, 2008 10:15 am

I will probably pick it up at some point and do a review. It was a lot cheaper than 1796 which was something like 56 euros. Luckily I still have quite a bit left in my old 1796 bottle.

Thanks for your opinion guys.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information