Italian deals..rum from Rome

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:52 pm

I am going to Rome soon and have been eyeing the selections of rum available in the local shops. R2Mshop seems like a good choice, great selections available at least. I was wondering if someone here has had the opportunity to get acquainted more intimately with different demerara's this shop sells and could assist me in making a selection from the following:

Silver Seal Pure Demerara Rum 1992
Silver Seal Pure Demerara Rum 1991
Silver Seal Pure Demerara Rum 1975 - 32yo
Gargano selection 14yo Port Morant 1 natural color
Gargano selection Blairmont 1991 Full Proof 1991
Gargano selection Port Mourant 1974 Fullproof
Gargano selection Uitvlugt 1990 Fullproof

I must confess, the Demerara's I have had are rather limited to the "official bottlings" El Dorado 12yo, 15yo, 21yo, as well as an 1975 Demerara which if I am not mistaken, was bottled by Gordon & McPhail. I did taste also a Versailles Demerara from Bristol Spirits long time ago, but recall little of the experience sadly right now (and didn't make notes either).

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:02 am

The first three Silver SealsI am familiar with;

Silver Seal Pure Demerara Rum 1992 and Silver Seal Pure Demerara Rum 1991.
These are top quality rums absolutely perfect for Mai Tais (as I'm sure Tiare will testify). Fantastic examples of Demerara rums bought straight from DDL in Guyana where they are aged and bottled in Scotland by the Silver Seal Company (which is actually based in Italy).

This one we have and it's a huge let down. We paid over £100 a bottle for this and we use it as an example of over-ageing. Hardly surprisingly a 32 year old rum is overaged. It genuinely tastes like chewing on a piece of wood....

The others I don't know, but keep us informed

JaRiMi

Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:05 am

Thank you for this piece of information, especially on the 32yo Demerara which was on my list of "consider buying". Not all rums of this age are over-the-top, but some most certainly are. Incidentally Berry Bros has some very interesting Demerara's on sale, and if they are selected by the same person who's in charge of selection their whiskies, Mr. Doug McIvor, then they must be good. I remember Mr. McIvor from the days when he worked at Milroy's of Soho in late 90's, he is really an inspirational individual and good God does he know his whiskies...! He is a true connoisseur.

I am not much of a cocktail-maker, albeit I do enjoy a good Mojito for example when its made well, with premium ingredients. My rum-consumption does concentrate on sipping the stuff as-is.

I just got some information on a bar in Rome where I can taste good rums; I am hoping to conduct a good cross-cut tasting of different single still / distillery Demeraras while there - Uitvlugt, Enmore, Skeldon, Versailles, Port Morant, La Bonne and Blairmont to mention some. Hope I will have the time for this (and that they carry a good selection)!

Roberto
How did you find Refined Vices?: Ministry of rum

Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:44 pm

JaRiMi wrote: Silver Seal Pure Demerara Rum 1992
Silver Seal Pure Demerara Rum 1991
Gargano selection 14yo Port Morant 1 natural color
Gargano selection Blairmont 1991 Full Proof 1991
Gargano selection Port Mourant 1974 Fullproof
Gargano selection Uitvlugt 1990 Fullproof
Hi JaRiMi, i have just responded you by email, but i will response here too.
The two Silver Seal Demerara (1991,1992) are a good example of Demerara's style, both rums are aged 14 in barrel and are overproof rums (48% and 55%). I think are both sipping rums and I would not sincerely use them for cocktail or mixing.
The Silver Seal 1975 was distilled in Enmore distilley and then aged 32 years in barrel. The result is a great rum where the alcohol (50%) was sweeten from its refinement, with sweet exotic aromas. A good chooice!

Instead the rums of Gargano Selection are distributed from Velier (an italian import company). Velier in 2004 has purchased a share in Demerara Distillers Ltd, and in that occasion Velier chose some barrel from the Demerara reserved cellar.
We are still waiting the first supply of the 4 demerara (Port Morant, Blaimont and Uitvlugt), because there have been problems with rum bottling, so i can't still do a review of them. But at the end of July i will have them. :D

Bye all, and sorry for my bad english

JaRiMi

Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:11 am

Hello Roberto,

I am very happy you joined this forum! Thank you for the post, good information there.

As I said in my email to you, if you are curious to try the Tanduay rums, I can bring some with me to Rome, perhaps we can meet and I can then give you the samples - or optionally if it is better for you, you can collect them from my hotel? I would be happy to offer a taste of the Philippines rhum, I think the 18yo is very good product especially, and of course the 23yo single barrel. I have contacts in Philippines and visit there on business quite often, so I get these rhums easy.

I just spoke to Mr. Barrett of Bristol Spirits, he said that they will soon bottle Caroni rums he bought from Mr. Moore / Caroni. These were the last rums sold from the Caroni warehouses before a big auction that is coming up soon, should be very interesting stuff in them. I hope to get some of these for sure! Incidentally Mr. Barrett mentioned to me the R2M shop as THE place to order rums from in Rome, so I told him I am already doing so :P Its a small rum world!!!

I will submit a further order of rums to you soon!!

Roberto
How did you find Refined Vices?: Ministry of rum

Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:19 am

Hi Mika, yes i have met Mr Barrett here in Rome two months ago during a Bristol Spirit's presentation.
I will try to meet you during your Rome's journey because im very interesting to Tanduay's rums.

JaRiMi

Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:48 pm

Well I am back from Rome, Italy, and brought safely back a number of wonderful rare rums, thanks to Roberto! Sorry we did not meet in person, but I did leave the two Philippine rhums to the hotel reception for a pickup. I really hope you get them!

tiare
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from count silvio

Wed Oct 15, 2008 1:12 pm

I dont know how on earth i missed this post!

But i can certainly attest that the 15 year Silver Seal is one of the best rums i ever had.

It was so good that i couldnt stop making Mai Tais with it, until the bottle was finished 2 weeks later.

• Information