A New Cuban Find!

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:28 pm

Hello Count and friends!

Everyonce in awhile good fortune smiles. In this case my dear Sue Sea and I were yet again on one of our frequent trips to the Florida Keys to go kayaking and spotted a a liquor store we'd somehow missed. The last time this happened we happened upon a surprisingly good rum with a local Keys history, ie "Pirate's Choice Molasses Reef Rum ", reviewed (here). This time we ran upon an unusual find...

Rum San Pablo

What immediately caught my attention was its origin in the Netherland Antilles, specifically Curacao. It was distilled by a Dutch company. Next was the back label claim that this had been the #1 selling rum in that area since 1945. And of course the price - a mere $11.95. A closeout? Or just another young rum. It was neither. But at the price, I had to buy it and find out. At home it turns out this was actually a Cuban rum originally produced by a Justo Gonzales, who later escaped Castro with his last 150 barrels of rum and moved his Cuban rum distillery to Curacao where he went into busiess with his Dutch distributor. The rest is history.

Sue Sea and I soon did a tasting review (and comparison to a couple of other reputed Cuban expats), details (here). A fascinating story. And the comparison found San Pablo preferred to both Cubaney and Vizcaya!

I wonder if anyone else has had the good fortune to see this rum (San Pablo)? It appears it is poorly distributed outside of Curacao...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:56 pm

Quick addenda....

Sue Sea and I were, as always, once again in the Keys to kayak and once again found the elusive San Pablo, this time in a white selling for a low, low $9.99 (compare to the gold at just $11.99). Having experienced and loved the gold, Sue Sea insisted we pick up the white for a friend. When we've had a chance to taste it, will let you all know.

But I remain amazed that what we consider a very good Cuban rum, that is the alleged best seller in Curacao, seems unknown to the many experienced rum afficianados on this site. Hope this bump leads to some recogntion by one of you...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information