Review: Plantation Rum Barbados Grande Reserve

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:11 pm

Today is plantation weather. For the past couple of evenings after the hot sun has set behind the trees giving the garden a break from the scorching heat of the day, I find myself having nothing better to do than to sit quietly on my porch sipping rum and reading Wayne Curtis' latest book. As the day seems almost still with only a slight breeze rustling the leaves I've found the perfect moment to write this rum review.

Plantation Rum Barbados Grande Reserve is another Plantation Rum with no vintage date on the label and no age mention and instead of the normal map on the label there seems to be a warehouse and a docking bay. But like all Plantation Rums this one also has the signature straw wrapped around the bottle. No change in that.
Read the full review on the frontpage.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:09 am

I have heard the Plantation rums do vary, and apparently this must be so. Sue Sea and I tasted the Plantation Barbados labeled "1995" and thought it was excellent (link); it garnered an "8" of 10 which is a pretty high scoring for us. Glad I caught your review on this one as otherwise we'd have probably purchased it.

Have you tried any of the other Plantations?
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:39 am

I have tried the Plantation Rum 8 Year Old but I have not yet tried the other ones. Quite recently small 0,2 liter bottles of Barbados 1995, Jamaica 1998 and Trinidad 1996 were introduced to our government alcohol shops at a price of 10 euros per bottle. I will probably buy the lot of them and do a triple review on them.

The Guyana and St. Lucia plantation rums as well as the rare 1992 Venezuela interest me most of the Plantation rum series though.
--

Capn Jimbo

Sun Jul 27, 2008 1:25 pm

Count I'd be very interested in your comparison between the "1995" an the nondesignated "Barbados", especially as they are both from that fine rum country of origin. Many thanks...

Oh, and BTW, just reread your review and noted the unusual labeling as "made from cane juice". I suppose that is technically true as all rum starts as cane juice, with what is called "rhum agricole" being made from this beginning juice, and molasses based rum being made from the leftover molasses component of cane juice after most of the sugar is removed.

But this is still very curious - I very much agree this is misleading - I wonder what the distiller has to say about this? One other note: we should keep in mind that "rhum agricole" is a long established term of common usage in history, for about 150 years. It was first used pejoratively, to insult the peasant made "clarin" (from cane juice) in Haiti. Later the term was applied to rums made from cane juice in the French Indies, Haiti, Trinidad, and Panama to name a few.

The term "rhum agricole" is really a generic, like "gasoline", meaning "rum made from cane juice", with no other qualification. On the other hand the French created a legal subset and label, namely "Rhum Agricole AOC Martinique" which refers strictly and entirely to cane juice rums made only in Martinique and only in strict accord with the AOC's voluminous regulations. This term has legal meaning in Martinique, but in no way affects or defines the meaning of the generic "rhum agricole" as commonly used elsewhere, which continues to mean "rum made from cane juice".

For example, many leading authors continue (properly) to refer to Rhum Barbancourt as a rhum agricole.
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:31 pm

Hello,

I agree with the Captain, as far as I know "rhum agricole" is just a reference to the style of making the rum, and as such be the rum from Trinidad, Mauritius or where ever, it can be a "rhum agricole" regardless of what the French say or think, as they cannot own this phrase used to describe a method of manufacturing (using cane juice rather than molasses, in simple terms).

On the other hand, they can make an AOC Martinique or AOC Guadeloupe etc. just as they can state that only sparkling wine from the county of Champagne can be called Champagne. Why they would bother to make a Apellation Originee Controlee for any island is beyond me, because I would think it rather obvious that "rhum Martinique" is from Martinique.

I am not certain, but I have to wonder whether or not the laws of rhum production in Martinique actually ban making rum from molasses? It would be interesting to see such a "renegade" product enter markets, hah!

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:08 pm

Gentlemen, thank you for your input. I should probably now correct my review a bit or atleast edit in a note (linking to these comments) and say this rum can afterall be called rhum agricole?

Captain, I too am interested in the differences between 1995 and the non vintage one, I may incorporate a side by side tasting on the 1995 review when I get the chance. My next purchase will probably be the three plantations although I am tempted to get the Cruzan 5 year old.
--

JaRiMi
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Jul 29, 2008 9:42 am

What I really have to wonder is that is this Plantation rum really made with agricole method, because I at least am unaware of anyone doing rum in Barbados by use of this method?

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:57 am

I've heard that before although is it impossible someone would produce agricole on Barbados? And I wonder why would Cognac Ferrand want to give the impression it is agricole when there is a chance it is not? I tried contacting Ferrand some time ago but my mail never got through the several addresses I tried.
--

Capn Jimbo

Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:41 pm

Darn! Double darn!! Count, I just knew you'd try to contact them, good on you. I am disappointed they haven't answered, bad on them. Plantation is visible enough that, on one hand I'd tend to believe them when they claim "made from cane juice". On the other, I too note that I'm not aware of any other cane juice rums made on Barbados. Or perhaps they are using the term exceptionally broadly (all rums technically begin with cane juice).

But there's always a first time. Maybe it IS made from cane juice like other agricoles.

Count, you have the bottle - how about taking another taste and see if you are picking up some reedy or cane aromas? Although I've tastes a few molasses rums that display a little cane, it's still fair to day that molasses rums rarely do. Do let us know....
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:48 pm

That is what I actually tried to search in this rum when I read the label that said it is made from 100% sugar cane juice but I couldn't notice any grassy aromas. I don't have much experience with Rhum Agricoles but when I do I will give this another taste and see if I can find any similarities next time.

Hopefully the representatives at Cognac Ferrand/Plantation are reading this forum and I hope that they will contact me on this matter (please fix your mail servers). Perhaps an actual letter or a phonecall would help.
--

forrest
How did you find Refined Vices?: Ministry of Rum

Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:44 pm

Plantation Grand Reserve is not Rhum Agricole-- at this time none of the rums from Plantation are Rhum Agricole, or even distilled using similar methods to Rhum Agricole.It is as the illustrious Capn Jimbo, so plaintively postulated "perhaps they are using the term exceptionally broadly (all rums technically begin with cane juice).".

The Grand Reserve is the bottom tier (painful to say, because it is quite delicious, but compared to the rest of the Plantation line) offering from Plantation; it is distilled from Molasses (to my knowledge there is no rum on Barbados distilled from cane juice.), and (if you are fortunate) it also comes in a 1.75 Liter size that is perfect for a rum punch.

Another point i would like to address is AOC Rhum Agricole: Not only 'controlled' in its method of production, Rhum Agricole is 'controlled' in its region of production-- these are two of the principle hinges upon which all AOC designations are granted. So it is not only the material, the methodology, the mechanics, the details of handling, but also the local that determines whather or not a product can utilize an AOC designation.
Last edited by forrest on Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

JaRiMi

Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:27 pm

Not only 'controlled' in its method of production, Rhum Agricole is 'controlled' in its region of production-- these are two of the principle hinges upon which all AOC designations are granted. So it is not only the material, the methodology, the mechanics, the details of handling, but also the local that determines whather or not a product can utilize an AOC designation
.AOC actually has little (or nothing) to do with method of production, luckily.

Only WHERE a product is made - "Appellacion d'originee controlee". Means "controlled term of origin" exactly. So, this clearly means that it is a matter of ORIGIN - if anyone wants to blend this with other things such as method etc., they are fishing beyond the sea, so to speak ( a finnish proverb). Rhum agricole is no more protected as a term describing a method, as is any other - so the local is not linked to the term "Rhum agricole". C'est la vie...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appellatio ... B4l%C3%A9e

forrest

Fri Aug 01, 2008 2:40 am

Well think whatever you'd like.
There is less than 50 AOC cheeses, and 500 cheeses in France-- that doesn't mean if it's not AOC it sucks... it means if it is not AOC, it is NOT AOC. To be an AOC whatever, rules are set, and must be observed---- again does not make it better, it is what it is. Marketing ploy or whatever, it is still what it is.
The AOC doesn't mean a spit or a whistle to me.... but that doesn't make it disappear.
The term Rhum obviously predates the AOC designation Rhum Agricole, but that does not disavow that designation-- or what is involved in that designation (which is considerably than you have alluded it to be).
I am not French, i could not care less about an AOC designation, the Aoc Rhum Agricole that i enjoy, i enjoy BECAUSE i THINK IT IS GOOD, not because some governing body says it is good. The law cant make me love my lover, or keep me from loving my lover.. But that does not mean there are not laws about that sort of thing...

JaRiMi

Fri Aug 01, 2008 10:03 am

As far as I know, Agricole is not a place - it is a reference to a method, as I stated. AOC (or Place of origin) can of course make other rules as to how the people living in that place are allowed to make certain product (be it wine, cheese, whisky), but still the actual AOC refers just to a PLACE ALWAYS.

"Apellacion d'Originee Controlee Rhum Agricole Martinique" - Martinique IS a place, therefore the statement makes sense here, referring to the origin, i.e. - place.

Champagne is a place, so is Cognac, Armagnac, Medoc, Bordeaux. Thats what all these AOC's have in common.

"Methode Champagnoise", again, is a method - and it is not Apellation d'Originee Controlee, one can use the "Methode Champagnoise" (also known as Methode Traditionelle) anywhere to make - sparkling wine, not Champagne (which is AOC).

Whisky (term describing a certain type of alcoholic beverage) can be made anywhere, but Scotch whisky can only be made - in Scotland.

Rhum Agricole can be made anywhere, whereas Rhum Agricole Martinique can only be made - in Martinique.

If this is difficult to digest, I apologize. I think it makes good sense. You cannot AOC a method - only a place of origin. I'm not French either btw, so we do have more in common than one might think :-)

forrest

Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:39 pm

JaRiMi wrote: but still the actual AOC refers just to a PLACE ALWAYS.

"Apellacion d'Originee Controlee Rhum Agricole Martinique" - Martinique IS a place, therefore the statement makes sense here, referring to the origin, i.e. - place.
Well, to beleaguer a pathetically small point "Appellation d’origine contrôlée (AOC), translates into "controlled term of origin" " which i took from here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appellatio ... B4l%C3%A9e
Which again you may recognize because this is the source that you previously sited, perhaps you missed that, but it is the first sentance in the article:)
JaRiMi wrote:Rhum Agricole can be made anywhere, whereas Rhum Agricole Martinique can only be made - in Martinique.
This is a different point, but i would probably agree with you- ideologically, but the AOC monikers have previously won, a sort of, copyright status in legal cases-- so if i were a brand i would not fight it, and instead focus my resources on quality. A great example of this is Rhum Barbancourt, they have no need to adhere to methodological constraints set forth as commonalities among those represented by AOC Martiniqur Rhum Agricole, the instead focus on their larger identity as a Rhum producer in a Rum market-- and frankly they maintain one of the finest product lines in the marketplace-- without conforming to the standards set forth by AOC Martiniqur Rhum Agricole -- that just makes them better-- they have expanded their field of competition, and are not found wanting!
JaRiMi wrote:If this is difficult to digest, I apologize. I think it makes good sense. You cannot AOC a method - only a place of origin.
Well the statement are simple to understand, but unfortunately ill founded, and therefore to be addressed, and not digested.
By method do you imply (in contradiction to a previous statement) that there is no "Methode Champagnoise"? If sparkling wine is made, in the area of origin, according to the "Methode Champagnoise" designated by the AOC it can be called an AOC Champagne. The term of control in "'Every Appellation d'Origine Contrôlée (AOC) is produced according to rules codified by the INAO. Because its primary purpose is to regulate the use of noteworthy names, one of its primary tasks is to delimit the geographic area entitled to produce a product. For wine this means vineyards, but the INAO also regulates the place of processing and or aging.'" from:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Institut_N ... %27Origine

If you would like to learn more, here are some others:
http://www.caribbean-spirits.com/rhumagricole.htm
http://luxuryexperience.com/liquor_cabi ... icole.html
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=786531

Hell the wonderful Capn Jimbo lists the rules here:http://rumproject.com/rumforum/viewtopic.php?t=21
While simultaneously decrying the foolishness of the designation.

You have a wonderful day, thank you for taking the time to respond, and i hope all those references can clears up any confusion for you, if you want you can just put something like ".AOC rhum agricole regulation" into google and get a bunch more info.

JaRiMi

Fri Aug 01, 2008 7:39 pm

forrest wrote:[
JaRiMi wrote: You cannot AOC a method - only a place of origin.
Well the statement are simple to understand, but unfortunately ill founded, and therefore to be addressed, and not digested.
By method do you imply (in contradiction to a previous statement) that there is no "Methode Champagnoise"? If sparkling wine is made, in the area of origin, according to the "Methode Champagnoise" designated by the AOC it can be called an AOC Champagne.
If I might be so forward as to suggest that perhaps you should read and try to re-comprehend my message, because quite clearly there are some communicative gaps here.

I never stated that there is no Methode Campagnoise", how on earth did you derive such a conclusion from my post? What I said precisely is the following:

"Champagne is a place, so is Cognac, Armagnac, Medoc, Bordeaux. Thats what all these AOC's have in common.
"Methode Champagnoise", again, is a method - and it is not Apellation d'Originee Controlee, one can use the "Methode Champagnoise" (also known as Methode Traditionelle) anywhere to make - sparkling wine, not Champagne (which is AOC)."

By method I imply a method - a well-specified process of making something in accordance to the set & agreed rules and regulations. I know this is somewhat crude but quick definition of a "method", but please bear with me.

Now then, sparkling wine made in the region of Champagne, with "methode Champagnoise", is qualified, as we know, to be called Champagne. My point is that the Apellation d'Originee refers still, like it or not, to a geographical location.

I said also that "AOC (or Place of origin) can of course make other rules as to how the people living in that place are allowed to make certain product (be it wine, cheese, whisky), but still the actual AOC refers to a PLACE ALWAYS." I bring this part to your attention just to display that I do believe I understand your original point.

I do hope however that all this clarifies my point, i.e. that if so decided, people living in the geographical region may also decide that certain particular, well-documented process or method MUST be followed in that region to make a product. However, it would be quite simplistic view to state that due to this fact, the AOC refers to the method. What is rather easy to prove is that the very same method, even called by the very same name, can freely be used elsewhere, to produce a product precisely in the same way. Such a product can even be freely advertised as having been made by the very same method, and there are many examples of this. The only thing that cannot be done, is make a reference to the place or origin, i.e. the AOC.

Simply put, this means A Luxembourg sparkling wine can advertise itself as being made with "Methode Champagnoise", but cannot advertise itself as Champagne - due to the simple fact that the producing region happens to be different. And I do very much believe that similarly again, a rum or rhum made anywhere on this planet can indeed be called "Rhum Agricole", if it is made in accordance with the same specified methodology and process. What such a rum cannot be called is "Rhum Agricole Martinique", because, self-evidently, a rum made elsewhere is not made on the island of Martinique.

Just to put this matter into context of just how insignificant issue we are actually debating about, please note that no rum had any AOC prior to the year 1996, when finally Martinique rhum agricole received this denomination.

"Par décret du 5 novembre 1996 publié dans le Journal officiel de la République française du 8 novembre, le rhum agricole de la Martinique a obtenu une « AOC Martinique ». Actuellement la Martinique est le seul département ou territoire d'outre-mer à bénéficier d'une AOC [1].

Cette AOC a été délivrée par l’Institut national des appellations d'origine, après plus de vingt ans de démarches de la part des acteurs de la filière. Première AOC d’outre-mer et de surcroît pour un alcool blanc, celle-ci classe dorénavant le rhum agricole martiniquais parmi les alcools nobles liés à une origine géographique. Cette Appellation traduit la typicité du « Rhum agricole Martinique », expression du lien intime entre la production, le terroir et le savoir-faire des hommes, perpétué au fil des générations[2]."

And yes, the production method is controlled (as I said, specific added rules can furthermore be decided by the people living in the geographical location), but Martinique is the origin for rhum AOC Martinique - and the AOC *is* for rhum agricole Martinique - not for rhum agricole (which was produced for decades upon decades before 1996, as we all know).

I cannot see a continuation of this discussion very fruitful, as we are more or less talking about apples and pairs here, and anyone wishing to investigate (or read this cumbersome chain of posts) can do the math for themselves, so to speak. Thank you in any case for the lively discussion - I look forward to seeing your posts on the topic of rum.
Last edited by JaRiMi on Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JaRiMi

Fri Aug 01, 2008 8:14 pm

One thing I thought of adding, as I looked at 10 cane rum - a rhum agricole from Trinidad, albeit the manufacturers, being french, seemingly avoid naming calling it so.

Still, they go to great lengths in proudly displaying that this rum is made precisely in accordance to the agricole method, something I find a tad amusing. Similarly amusing point is that they make a case for justifying the high price (for such a young rum) by the use of this expensive method.

Food for thought. Marketing is an interesting thing!

forrest

Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:39 am

JaRiMi wrote:One thing I thought of adding, as I looked at 10 cane rum - a rhum agricole from Trinidad, albeit the manufacturers, being french, seemingly avoid naming calling it so.

Food for thought. Marketing is an interesting thing!

Well, this brings up what is to me, the crux of all of these exchanges- which is....

i don't 'care if' Rhum Barbancourt is Rhum Agricole, and hopefully i never will.
i don't 'care if' 10 Cane is Rhum Agricole, and hopefully i never will.
i don't 'care if' Mae De Ouro, Ypioca, Leblon is Rhum Agricole, and hopefully i never will.
i don't 'care if' Neisson, La Favorite, Clement, Rhum JM, St James etc.---is Rhum Agricole, and hopefully i never will.

Each glass gets its fair judgment no matter who its friends are.

me and you JaRIMI=-- lets have some rum.
Last edited by forrest on Sun Aug 03, 2008 3:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Le Roturier
How did you find Refined Vices?: Cpt Jimbo website

Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:08 am

It's impossible to grasp the Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) system without first fully understand the concept of terroir, the French belief that the land imparts a unique quality, not reproducible elsewhere. A mix between (esoteric) chauvinism and marketing opportunism.

You must also know that "rhum agricole" is short for "rhum de plantation agricole", rum distilled (at least, in theory) on the estate where the sugar cane is grown, therefore out of pure sugar cane juice; in opposition to "rhum de sucrerie industrielle", rum made out of the by-products of an industrial sugar refinery.

The AOC Martinique standard dictates :
  • where the rum can be distilled
  • where and how the sugar cane can be grown
  • the varieties of sugar cane that can be used
  • how and when the juice is extracted of the cane
  • which yeast can be used, and how
  • how the rum is distilled
  • how and how long the rum is aged
Cette Appellation traduit la typicité du « Rhum agricole Martinique », expression du lien intime entre la production, le terroir et le savoir-faire des hommes, perpétué au fil des générations
Which can be translated as :

"This seal of authenticity conveys the distinctive qualities of Martinique's plantation rum, the direct result of the intertwining of the production, the special soil of that region and the craftmen's know-how, transmitted from one generation to another."
Noble by birth, gentleman by upbringing, commoner by choice.

forrest

Sat Aug 02, 2008 3:38 pm

Le Roturier wrote:It's impossible to grasp the Appellation d'origine contrôlée (AOC) system without first fully understand the concept of terroir, the French belief that the land imparts a unique quality, not reproducible elsewhere. A mix between (esoteric) chauvinism and marketing opportunism.[/i]
Le Roturier, i HUMBLY THANK YOU for clearing up my putrid examples, with the greatest of ease, and obvious expertise. Le Roturier you have said essentially what i intended without the ignorant triflings of my high-handedness. Your concise, clear and pointed explanation-- i hope- will be an example to me.

My apologies to all i may have confused, irritated, or misdirected with my piddling asininity-- i believe my points were correct (and honestly- well intentioned), but they were made much better by Le Rotuier; so again kind Sir, my Gratitude.

The only addendum i would add to further explain my previous statements is i was not attempting to display preference or primacy with the utilization of the AOC designation, but rather acknowledge it and the points it includes.

JaRiMi and i had our exchanges on the semantic particulars of our various points (which we agreed 'we have more in common than one might think''} and finished with a glass of rum (frankly JaRiMi i had several on my part;) ).
See what rum can do!!! Inspire conversation, conviviality, and generate opportunities to learn. Blessed be rum.

JaRiMi

Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:41 pm

Indeed, well written gentlemen. Terroir, as a concept, is of course not only a French belief, however If I may just humbly point out that terroir is again a reference to specific conditions of soil etc - at a certain geographical location. :wink:

What I do find interesting is that it was not until quite in 1996 that even the French themselves gave recognition to Martinique in the form of a AOC Rhum Agricole Martinique. This is an interesting point, because it raises a question if prior to this quite recent date the agreed production methodology now associated with the AOC was always followed, or not, in Martinique? Or does the agreed way of producing rhum agricole in Martinique predate the AOC by a good many, many years.

Final point: To my understanding, neither Guadeloupe nor any other French protectorate (colonies) producing rum has AOC in place - and yet still distillers in Guadeloupe for example call their rum openly "rhum agricole". :) So, it would seem that we can quite safely call 10 Cane, or Barbancourt similarly a "rhum agricole". The beginning point of this discussion was, after all, that if a rum is made in Barbados from cane juice in similar way as rhum agricole, can it be called such.

http://www.webmarchand.com/a/liste_prod ... roduit.htm

http://www.damoiseau.com/

A toast to you gentlemen! Personally I am sipping Barcelo imperial; not the greatest rum industriel I have had, but nevertheless a pleasing beverage.

Le Roturier
How did you find Refined Vices?: Cpt Jimbo website

Mon Aug 04, 2008 8:10 am

My mother prepares one dish only on special occasions.

The recipe for chicon au gratin (braised Belgian endive, rolled in ham, grilled in a Gruyère cheese sauce) is very simple. It's not special in itself. It doesn't require special skills. Even if the ingredients must be carefully chosen and of the topmost quality to make a success of this dish, they are rather common and easy to find.

I tried to prepare this dish by myself. It was savoury, but not as much as hers. I order it in reputable restaurant. It wasn't quite the same also. It seems only my mother can do it as it should.

This is the emotional attachment the AOC brand tries to encapsulate.

Of course, it can be viewed only as marketing ploy, a way of promoting products specific to a region by boasting their pretended uniqueness. Yes, this is an important aspect of it. But, not the only one. The multiple AOC specifications (for cheese, wine, mushrooms, ...) all require specific practices must be followed, for instance to handled the product, to package it, to store it, ...

And, my main point is that it can also be argued terroir has to some point as much to do with the land where the sugar cane grows as it has to do with the house where my mother lives. Terroir goes beyond the single parameter of geographical location, or any combination of parameters. Its essential core is a sentiment. And as such, AOC can be viewed as a bureaucratic attempt to perpetuate a feeling by writing a set of controllable rules.
JaRiMi wrote:Final point: To my understanding, neither Guadeloupe nor any other French protectorate (colonies) producing rum has AOC in place - and yet still distillers in Guadeloupe for example call their rum openly "rhum agricole". :) So, it would seem that we can quite safely call 10 Cane, or Barbancourt similarly a "rhum agricole".
If you read carefully the official documents, it's implied that anyone, anywhere can call their rum "rhum agricole". "Rhum agricole" is only defined as rum made out of fresh sugar cane juice. The distinction is that only a few distillers can affix on their bottles one of the three AOC logos :
  • Rhum Agricole AOC Martinique blanc
    White rum which was left to rest at least 3 months before bottling it
  • Rhum Agricole AOC Martinique élevé sous bois
    Rum aged at least 1 year in big oak barrels
  • Rhum Vieux Agricole AOC Martinique
    Rum aged at least 3 years, in smaller oak barrels
if they fully comply to one of those standards.

Purists will insist rhum agricole must taste like typical rhum agricole. Therefore, blends of molasses rums and cane juice rums cannot be called "rhum agricole" nor can cane juice rums be processed in ways they loose their characteristic taste (filtration, continuous distillation, industrial yeasts, sherry barrels, spices, ...)

I prefer the "rhum de vesou" (cane juice rum) and "rhum de sucrerie" (sugar refinery rum) appellations. If needed be, to add "au goût traditionnel" (of traditional taste) or "autentique" (authentic). So I would say Barbancourt produces "d'autentiques rhums de vesou haïtiens" (authentic Haitian cane juice rums) and La Favorite produces "des rhums de vesou traditionnels martiniquais" (traditional Martinique's cane juice rums).
Noble by birth, gentleman by upbringing, commoner by choice.

Capn Jimbo

Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:10 pm

I prefer the "rhum de vesou" (cane juice rum) and "rhum de sucrerie" (sugar refinery rum) appellations. If needed be, to add "au goût traditionnel" (of traditional taste) or "autentique" (authentic). So I would say Barbancourt produces "d'autentiques rhums de vesou haïtiens" (authentic Haitian cane juice rums) and La Favorite produces "des rhums de vesou traditionnels martiniquais" (traditional Martinique's cane juice rums).
Perhaps in yet another 150 years these terms will replace the unfortunate, biased and protectionist French terminology emanating from the generic and historically accurate "rhum agricole". I see no reason to fall prey to invented French designations (French participants exempted).

I am American, speak English, and would suggest to those communicating in this language to refer to "cane juice rums". I stand firm on the notion that the AOC's rhums by regulation (compared to cane juice rums by art), made in stifling accord with their literal book of miniscular regs, in no way fulfill their marketing proposition of greater consistency or quality. OTOH, it's a nice trick to affix this "esteemed" AOC label in hopes of promoting "exclusivity" and garnering outrageous prices.

Vive le, I mean cheers to Barbancourt! And all the other cane juice rums that exist free of domestic shackles...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

• Information