Blackbeard's Reserve Rum 24,25,26 Year?

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:10 am

Does anyone happen to know anything about this elusive rum that has continued to escape my grasp over the years?

I've tried searching for this rum on the internet but there is surprisingly little info about it altogether. According to Ralf's World of Rum http://www.blackbeardsrumcompany.com is the official website for this rum but it is no help either as it is down at the moment.

I also digged out some info of the owners of the company from Peters Rum Pages and used this information to find out the late owners Keith Baldwin's son's Bill Baldwin's real estate website whom I contacted and received the unfortunate information that he does not recall a 24-26 year old rum ever being produced which would bring me to another glorious dead end. He didn't answer though if blackbeardsrumcompany.com is the correct website. Perhaps there are two Blackbeard brands...

What I can tell from the picture on Bilgemunky's site is that bottle says Port Morant Distillery, Demerara. Aged 24 Years.
If anyone has any info about this rum it would be appreciated, even tasting notes. Bloody treasure hunt, I guess I shall be rewarded if I ever find out who produces this.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Le Roturier
How did you find Refined Vices?: Cpt Jimbo website
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:26 am

Their website seems to be "under construction" since February.

From the Internet Archive Wayback Machine :
Blackbeard's Rum Company Wholesale Division imports & distributes products from around the world:
  • Wines from California to Australia
  • Champaign's from France
  • Spirits from the UK
  • Liquors from Canada
  • Beer from the USA
  • ...and a host of other fine products.
We locally produce & distribute our own lines:
  • Blackbeard's Award Winning Rums, with 12 special blends, from Special Reserve to our famous Coconut Rum
  • Cayman Ice Gin, Vodka, & Tequila
  • Baldwin's line of premium Liqueurs with 14 different types, from Cay-Lua to Mudslide
A partial list of companies represented by Blackbeard's Rum & Rum Cake Company is on the links page.

Our wholesale services include a professional sales and product management team, full-time delivery fleet and an in-house marketing department. Fully computerized and radio networked. From 2001 to 2002 our wholesale division experienced a 100% growth factor.
History of Blackbeard's Rum Company

Blackbeard's Rum Company is a Caymanian success story that started small in 1986 by the late Mr. Keith Baldwin (1926-1999), who in many ways had an positive impact on the success of the Cayman Islands tourism industry and has since developed into a thriving enterprise offering a wide range of locally produced spirits and Rum Cakes which are very popular with residents and tourists alike.

Starting with just one retail store on Crewe Road, Blackbeard�s has today become a large corporation with six retail outlets, a full service wholesale division and the only blending facility in the Cayman Islands. Along the way, the company has never lost its small-company focus on superior quality and warm, friendly service.

The first products introduced were the Blackbeard�s line of premium rums, which today remain the only produced in the Cayman Islands. The line includes 12 different selections, including a Special Reserve Aged Rum and the Island favorite, Coconut Rum. The rums have received rave reviews and plenty of international recognition. In the past five years alone, they have won 24 awards at the prestigious International Rum Tasting events held annually in Barbados.

Based on the success of Blackbeard�s rums, the company has more recently introduced two new lines: Cayman Ice gin is a high-quality, competitively priced alternative to imported brands, and has quickly gained popularity with locals. The Baldwin family of liquors includes ten different original formulas, all blended here on the Island, including such favorites as Amaretto, Cay-Lua, Triple-Sec, Mango Schnapps. With their distinctive labels, these new lines make very attractive and uniquely Caymanian souvenirs.

In addition to the growing on-Island popularity of the brands, Blackbeard�s is pleased to note international interest in its products, especially the recently introduced Blackbeard�s Rum Cakes. Baked in their own bakery using, of course, the company�s premium rums, the cakes are finding a ready export market in destinations around the world. �We have noticed that the visitors to the Islands are always looking for gift items that are made in Cayman. We have pleased to offer something that is truly Caymanian, and of course everyone enjoys a taste of the Islands.� says Bill Baldwin, Managing Director. As more and more visitors carry these delicacies home, orders have been following in from overseas.

Modern technology has helped to propel this local venture squarely into 21st century. While Blackbeard�s prides itself on the use of traditional recipes and formulas, it has also harnessed the power of the internet and other modern communications to boost its marketing efforts. The company established its Internet presence, http://www.BalckbeardsRumCompany.com , some time ago and is already in the process of producing a newer and more sophisticated version of its website. Overseas customers can order rum cakes online and have the products shipped anywhere in the world. Not content to rest on its laurels, Balckbeard�s is looking to the future and planing for continued growth. �Our innovative rum cake bakery has the capacity to produce several thousand cakes per day,� notes Bill Baldwin. �That should allow us to reach quite a few international customers.�

Blackbeard�s products are available at the company�s five full service liquor stores in Grand Cayman and in hotels, bars, restaurants and liquor stores throughout the Cayman Islands. Be sure to visit the new Blackbeard�s bakery and souvenir shop downtown on the waterfront at the Duty Free Mall. Watch the Rum Cakes being prepared, shop for unique souvenirs and do not miss the daily shark feedings right on the premises!

Blackbeard's Rum & Rum Cake Company
Mirco Commerce Center - P.O.Box 10065 APO
George Town, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands, B.W.I.
Phone: 1-345-949-8763 Fax: 1-345-949-8764
Blackbeard's Award Winning Rums

The first products introduced were the Blackbeard's line of premium rums, which today remain the only rums produced in the Cayman Islands.

The line includes 12 different selections, including a Special Reserve Aged Rum and the Island favorite, Coconut Rum. The rums have received rave reviews and lots of international recognition. In the past five years alone, they have won 30 awards at the prestigious International Rum Tasting events held annually in Barbados.

Here are some great recipies to try with your Blackbeard's Rum.

Award Winning Rums

Our Award Winning Rums:

BlackBeard's Special Reserve
Special Reserve Rum A fine blend of premium rums aged to perfection
BlackBeard's White Rum
White Rum 7th place in "International Rum Tasting Competition"
Gold Rum Favorite in the Cayman Islands
Dark Rum 8th place in "International Rum Tasting Competition"
BlackBeard's OverProof Rum
151 Over proof Rum 3rd place in "International Rum Tasting Competition"
BlackBeard's Coconut Rum
Coconut Rum 1st place in "International Rum Tasting Competition"
BlackBeard's Banana Rum
Banana Rum 6th place in "International Rum Tasting Competition"
BlackBeard's Mango Rum
Mango Rum 5th place in "International Rum Tasting Competition"
BlackBeard's Pineapple Rum
Pineapple Rum New to our line quickly becoming a favorite
BlackBeard's Peach Rum
Peach Rum 6th place in "International Rum Tasting Competition"
BlackBeard's Orange Rum
Orange Rum 7th place in "International Rum Tasting Competition"
BlackBeard's Spiced Rum
Spice Rum A Caribbean Tradition
Noble by birth, gentleman by upbringing, commoner by choice.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat Aug 16, 2008 11:45 am

Of course, the wayback machine! Why didn't I think of that? I had a look around the past site and there was no picture of the rum reviewed on Bilgemunkys website which would lead me to believe it is a different company making the rum. Producers don't always list all their rums on the websites though...
--

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:09 pm

The more I think about it, I think this may have been a Private Label rum.

Current Blackbeard Rum Company website: http://www.blackbeards.ky/

Probably a different product.
--

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:50 pm

I am now completely sure this rum was never produced/bottled by the cayman islands based rum company that we now know as Blackbeard's Trading Company.

Blackbeard's DEMERARA rum appears to have been sold out 10 years ago! It was also a single cask product, which might explain the different experiences Bilgemunky has experienced with the rum taste.

The search continues for the original creator of this rum and of course the now legendary rum itself.
:pith:
--

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information