El Dorado 12 vs El Dorado 15

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Le Roturier
How did you find Refined Vices?: Cpt Jimbo website
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:29 pm

How does the El Dorado Superior Demerara 12 year old rum compare to the excellent El Dorado Special Reserve 15 year old rum?
Dark brown rum distilled from molasses. Aged 12 years in used whisky and bourbon barrels. Reformulated in 2006, El Dorado 12 is now much closer in flavor and texture to the flagship of Guyana, El Dorado 15 year old Special Reserve.
What are the perceptible differences and similarities, besides price?
Noble by birth, gentleman by upbringing, commoner by choice.

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:40 am

They are remarkably similar, no surprise. Indeed, there are several leading reviewers that actually prefer the 12 to the 15. Sue Sea and I split on these two, both scored 4 out of 5, both very good rums. Both are Demeraran, medium bodied and soft. Both are well regarded.

Both have deep fruit tones in the aroma, both are consistent through the taste. If there is one difference the 12 has more leathery, cigar box tones and finish while the 15 has a more peppery hot spicy finish. Here are our reviews:

Link to El Dorado 12

Link to El Dorado 15
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:51 pm

The 12 was designed for a sweeter palette and the heart of the rum is the double wooden pot still, which gives a nicely refined, quite soft character.

The 15 was designed to appeal to a drier palette and at it's heart is the single wooden pot still. This lends a wonderful rich, almost sherry like depth and pungency.

I'd suggest the 15 is the connoisseur's choice as it has substantially more depth....but I accept that both are well-blended for fulfil the desires of their respective fans

paulipbartender

Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:04 pm

I should have mentioned - we're training for El Dorado and they've given us the most wonderful insights into their brands.

Because they operate 9 different stills, the range of marques they produce are simply phenomonal. Most believe the 12 and the 15 are seperated by merely 3 years whereas in fact they are produced using marques from different stills explaining their variety.

You might find this useful if I can translate it here;

12 year old - contains predominantly copper coffey still rum from Diamond blended with the double wooden pot still at Port Mourant and marques from the wooden Coffey in Enmore.

15 year old - contains equally double wooden pot from Port Mourant and metal coffey from Diamond, blended with single wooden pot stil (Versailles) and marques from the wooden coffey still at Enmore.

Same raw fermented wash put through differing stills, aged in the same warehouse then blended to make 2 stupendous rums.

forrest
How did you find Refined Vices?: Ministry of Rum

Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:58 pm

paulipbartender wrote:I should have mentioned - we're training for El Dorado and they've given us the most wonderful insights into their brands.
What a marvelous occupation that you seem to have.
Thank you kind sir for your deep, and revelatory insights

paulipbartender

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:26 am

Rum is both a preoccupation and an occupation for my IPB chums.....

Count - I'll send you a huge batch of rum production notes covering the 15 ACR producers shortly. The Caribbean are dragging their heels getting it signed off, but when they do, I believe Refined Vices should be the forum to host it.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:31 am

Thanks Paul, I'll make it into a sticky thread at the top of this forum :tippin:. I look forward to reading them.
paulipbartender wrote: Most believe the 12 and the 15 are seperated by merely 3 years whereas in fact they are produced using marques from different stills explaining their variety.
I have to admit I was one of those people but I'm glad you have posted this information here. Always great to learn new things.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

sailor22
How did you find Refined Vices?: from a refrence in a whis

Sun Sep 21, 2008 1:33 am

Thanks - very interesting.

Can you enlighten us regarding their intent regarding the 21 and 25 iterations?

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:47 pm

Paul, you and the IPB boys are really on top of this one. Veeeeeeeerrrry interesting! So, if I understand correctly (based on the later posts) the 12 year is composed of "copper still... blended with wooden double pot still", while the 15 is "double wooden still and copper Coffey still... blended with single wooden pot still and wooden Coffey". Whew.

Accordingly these are two differently blended rums. It also makes me wonder what the relative age statements mean? Oldest rum in the blend?

I understand the Coffey still but remain confused as to what a "double wooden pot still" really is. Is this a wooden pot still feeding a wooden thumper (more typical for rums)? Or two pot stills arranged in series to provide a semi-continuous production?

Thanks...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

• Information