Cockspur 12

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:50 pm

I got this rum, Cockspur 12, from UK recently and will post soon some tasting notes here.

In the meantime I was wondering if anyone can please shed light to it's relation to the Cockspur VSOR: Are these rums same / similar? VSOR was always very hard to get in Europe, but the 12 seems to be quite widely available nowadays.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sun Sep 28, 2008 7:37 am

That is a very good question, I am currently facing the same problem with Clément Rhum Vieux and Clément V.S.O.P. Rhum Vieux, are these the same rum?

Looking through the Cockspur website I can't find the Cockspur 12 year old bottle there but there is a Cockspur V.S.O.R.Vintage Blend which has 12 year old rums in the blend. Looking through the Ministry of Rum database I found Cockspur 12 and the V.S.O.R.

http://www.ministryofrum.com/rumdetails.php?r=192
Ministry of Rum wrote:This label has been replaced in the US by Cockspur Bajan Handcrafted Rum.
It seems like they are the same rum.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:40 am

The Count may have beaten me to it, but I can confirm it's the same rum. Packaged for different markets.

How are you enjoying it?

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:07 pm

paulipbartender wrote:How are you enjoying it?
Neat or with a couple of drops of water. Its OK.

Cockspur 12 (Barbados)

Appearance

Gold amber with long, semi-thick legs.

Nose

Fresh tropical fruit aromas begin to rise immediately from the glass as the rum is poured in.

The first aroma is surprisingly that of poly cement mixed with wood aromas but it is not an unpleasant aroma, just slightly peculiar. For those who are wondering what poly cement is, it is a type of glue used in building miniature models.

The aromas are cool and fragrant with underlying hints of flowers, bourbon and raw bananas. Though the aroma is very smooth, it helps to detect the bourbon and bananas if you blow gently in the glass to remove the alcohol fumes that have gathered there.

As the rum breathes, the initial glue aroma becomes more lenient and the general aroma becomes warmer and the addition of a couple of water drops brings out caramel.

Taste

The first taste is also slightly glue-like with floral and wood notes and there is also some bitterness. Cockspur 12 is medium bodied and dryish with a slightly coating oily body and it is very forgiving as there is no burn from the alcohol.

Aftertaste

Smooth, fragrant and dry finish. Coffee, pleasant bourbon and vanilla notes, as well as some tropical fruit and slight bitterness.

Final thoughts

I find Cockspur 12 to have a very balanced and fragrant aroma and flavour profile with potentially deceptive smoothness, which means you should probably exercise caution before you get carried away and empty the entire bottle on one sitting.

Not one of the most complex or challenging rums in my opinion but nevertheless it is a fine drop for those occasions when you just feel like chilling, to the sounds of some reggae perhaps.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

• Information