Rum review: Clément Rhum Vieux VSOP

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:26 am

Rhum Clément originates from the isle of Martinique which is situated in the French West Indies, between the islands of Dominica and St. Lucia and north of Trinidad & Tobago. The 1,128km² island is an overseas department of France thus a part of the European Union which also means the currency used on Martinique is the Euro.

The official language is French but most of the inhabitants speak Créole Martiniquais. Martinique's most important agricultural products are: pineapples, avocados, bananas, flowers, vegetables and of course, sugarcane. Martinique's rich soil or 'terroir' is optimal for sugar cane cultivation and about half of the grown sugar cane is used to make Rhum Agricole such as Clément Rhum Vieux that I am reviewing today.

Rhum Clément is one of the bottlers of A.O.C. (Appellation d’Origine Contrôlée: term of controlled origin) Martinique Rhum Agricole, it's distiller being Simon and the other A.O.C. producers, bottlers and blenders being: Depaz, Dillon, J.M., La Favorite, La Mauny, Neisson, St. James, G. & P. Dormoy, G. Hardy, J. Bally, Rhumeries Duquesne, Saint Etienne and Trois Rivières.
Read the full review on the frontpage.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

forrest
How did you find Refined Vices?: Ministry of Rum

Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:44 pm

Another great review...
To be honest, i think that this Rhum is my favorite in their line (maybe it is Homere, but it close either way).
The nose with its generous smoked crab apple, rarified citrus, and banana peel-- only evolve to intriguingly multifarious complexities that shows so many intricate, yet enjoyable, nuances.
And Count you are absolutely correct about the necessity of patience in the enjoyment of this Rhum-- as the air interacts with it a plethora of subtleties emerge, and do not relent.
Very nice tasting notes.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:00 pm

Thank you Forrest, I truly appreciate your comments. I believe I once had Clément Rhum Vieux 6 ans at a cigar bar which I thought was quite good, I don't recall enough about that night to describe it so I will leave it at that but based on the flavour of Rhum Vieux I am extremely interested in revisiting 6 ans and other Rhums Clément has.

Surprisingly this rum reminded me of Johnnie Walker Green Label with its apple aroma and I have to say this is the perfect rum to sip at this time of the year when the apples are infact ripe and ready to be picked from the trees outside.

Have you had the pleasure to taste the 6 ans?

Note to JaRiMi: This product is available at Alko for 36 euros.
--

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:11 pm

Count thanks for the review. This is one of the very few cane juice rums I'd still like to taste, and surely wonder how it will stack up to the offerings of Barbancourt and St. James. It sure is a handsome bottle that keeps reaching out to me, and I will not be able to resist much longer...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:13 pm

Do taste it. I think I like it better than Barbancourt 8.

I'm interested to know whether anyone else recognizes the "copper" aroma in copper (pot) still rums that I mentioned in the review.
--

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:45 pm

Count, I'm still getting around to trying VSOP. Real soon now (famous Microsoft quote re upcoming "fixes"), lol. In the meanwhile I am VERY excited about my recent acquisition and tasting of Montecristo 12 Year ( a blend of 12 and 20 year cane juice, "agricultural" rums). And why?

1. I got it for $14
2. It compares very favorably with the Barbancourts (falling somewhere in between the 8 and 15 year).
3. Our review: Link to Montecristo Review

I daresay this cane juice rum is a worthy competitor. I am very surprised this rum has not developed the widespread respect and accolades I believe it deserves. If you haven't tried it, you simply must. Amazing!
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information