Experiences with old Demerara rums?

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:07 pm

Hello all,

I was wondering if you would kindly please give some recommendations of older Demerara rums to me? I'm afraid my expertise of these fascinating Guyanese rums is totally inadequate, but I would very much like to gain experience and purchase some good (old) demerara rum. It is not easy to find opinions or tasting notes of such rums from anywhere, and the rums themselves are rather "dear" price-wise, so any information would be greatly appreciated indeed!

As to my personal liking of rums (which may help in giving recommendations), I enjoy very. very much the El Dorado 21yo "mainstream" release. The 15yo is very good also, but a tad sweet to my liking. I once tasted a very old 1975 Demerara bottled by Gordon & McPhail, and was very impressed: Albeit this lacked the pleasantness of the mainstream El Dorado releases, it was packed full of wonderful flavours of espresso coffee, dark chocolate, dried raisins (in a - dry form) and subtle fruitiness that was overcome with woody dryness towards the end.

Non-Demerara favorites of mine include Appleton 21yo, English Harbour XO for example.

I have not always enjoyed "straigth from the cask" type of rums: Some have too much bitterness, overpowering burned molasses flavours or taste simply too pungent for my liking. Apart from curiosity value, I do understand why sometimes mainstream rum producers do charcoal filter etc. to make some rums more palatable. A few examples of rums which I did not enjoy very much would include the Berry Bros Port Morant finished in Islay casks, and one particularly pungent single barrel release of Monymusk I bought in Germany years ago.

If anyone can make recommendations or suggestions of any sort, I would be very grateful!!

EDIT: I do realize I asked similar information in this http://www.refinedvices.com/forum_/view ... 180&p=1653 message chain, but I am hoping to get more information..

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:02 pm

I'm afraid my experiences with old Demerara rums are once again limited but Rum Nation Demerara 12 years old is pretty good and Rum Nation has some older Demerara rums as well which might be worth looking into. The 1975 Demerara is what pops into my mind now: http://potstill.org/shop/froogle/demera ... _DE_O.html

Might be somewhat difficult to find, however.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

tiare
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from count silvio
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:50 am

Samaroli Port Morant 1990 is very very good, Old Vatted is quite good although very woody, Port Royal 1991 is good, Silver Seal rums are exceptional and so is Banks XM10, but i do have a bit of a sweet tooth..

JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum

Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:46 pm

tiare wrote:Samaroli Port Morant 1990 is very very good, Old Vatted is quite good although very woody, Port Royal 1991 is good, Silver Seal rums are exceptional and so is Banks XM10, but i do have a bit of a sweet tooth..
OVD I know, this is price vs. quality a very good buy I think, and an enjoyable rum.

Thank you for the information on the Samaroli rums and others also, much appreciated!!

• Information