Coruba 25 year old Jamaican Rum

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:36 am

Does anyone have any experience with this product? It is apparently a product of J. Wray & Nephew, and comes from Jamaica. I just bounced into this whilst searching some other rums in the internet, and thought I'd ask.

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:56 pm

I happen to like the ordinary Coruba (dark) rum that Sue Sea and I deemed both a unique mixer and alternative to Black Seal, and also one of two dark rums we felt made alternative and interesting sippers (Link to Coruba Reviews). Needless to say, I'm as interested in this 25 year as JaRiMi. It just happens that I spoke with one of my Jamaican friends yesterday who agreed to bring a couple bottles into the States for me.

Nice! Now I will be sure that one of them is the Coruba 25 - thank you.

J - can you (or others here) suggest any other Jamaican rums worth bringing in (other than the obvious W&N and Appletons)? Although I would like to consider some good old rums, I have a particular fondness for rums in the 10 year range. Many thanks....
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:50 am

Have you got around to trying this rum as yet?

I'm afraid that I know very few Jamaican rums apart from the Appleton selections. Occasionally here in Europe we see independent bottlings of famous Jamaican estates / stills, such as Monymusk distillery or Long Pond (both still operating).

It seems Jamaican rum production has suffered from a fate similar to other islands - In 1893 there were 148 distilleries on Jamaica, but by 1983 there were only six remaining. Long Pond, Monymusk, Innswood and New Yarmouth are the ones I have heard of - that makes four of them.

Some background information about recent happenings in Jamaican (and West Indian) rum industry:

"The Government of Jamaica is pleased to announce the restructuring of the State-Owned National Rums of Jamaica Ltd., (NRJ) the holding company of Clarendon Distillers Ltd., Long Pond Distillers Ltd. and Innswood Distillery Ltd. (collectively the NRJ Group).

Under agreements signed with Demerara Distillers Ltd. of Guyana, The West Indies Rum Distillery Ltd. (a subsidiary of Goddard Enterprises Ltd. of Barbados) and DIAGEO North America Inc. (a subsidiary of Diageo PLC the World's largest Spirit Company), the three investors will bring new equity investments totaling U.S.$5.368 million to the NRJ Group.

With the injection of this new capital, Demerara Distillers Ltd., The West Indies Rum Distillery Ltd. and the State-Owned National Sugar Company Ltd. will each own 33.3 per cent of the shares in NRJ.

NRJ will hold 73 per cent of the shares in Clarendon Distillers Ltd. at Monymusk with 27 per cent held by Diageo North America Inc., through its subsidiary Trelawny Estates Ltd. Long Pond Distillers Ltd. and Inswood Distillery Ltd. will continue to be wholly-owned subsidiaries of NRJ.

This new investment capital along with funding from the European Union's Integrated Development Programme for the Caribbean rum sector will be utilised to finance a major modernisation and expansion programme of the NRJ Group. NRJ, which is a leading supplier of Jamaican bulk rum, is also looking to develop a brand portfolio in order to facilitate its entry into the value-added market.

The board of directors of NRJ will be restructured to include representatives of the new investors and we wish to record our thanks to the long standing outgoing chairman Mr. Howard Hamilton who has kindly consented to remain on the board. Mr. Evon Brown will also continue as group CEO and a director of NRJ and its subsidiaries.

New venture

This new venture represents a significant step towards increasing the out-put of the Jamaican and therefore Caribbean rum industry while ensuring that quality, competitiveness and the highest international standards are maintained.

This also represents a significant movement towards the consolidation of the Caribbean rum industry and totally accords with the objectives of the Caricom Single Market and Economy.

I have reproduced the press release to show what forward thinking can produce when there is vision and purpose. None of this would have been possible without the full understanding and cooperation of the Minister of Agriculture who has portfolio responsibility for national rums. "

Copied from http://www.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/ ... orts8.html.

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:26 pm

As I write my Jamaican friend may be returning with her mystery purchase. I wasn't sure what she might be able to find or transport so I asked for: Coruba 25, Appleton Master Blender's Legacy, Sangster's Rum Cream and - are you ready - Rum Nation Jamaica Supreme Lord IV 21 Year!!

I pray she finds the latter, but the MBL would be awful nice too. As would all of em, lol...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

tiare
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from count silvio

Thu Jan 08, 2009 2:45 am

I haven`t tried Coruba 25 yet, but i can recommend Coruba 12 which is a very fine rum and good for both mixing and sipping.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Wed Aug 31, 2011 1:31 pm

Capn Jimbo wrote:As I write my Jamaican friend may be returning with her mystery purchase. I wasn't sure what she might be able to find or transport so I asked for: Coruba 25, Appleton Master Blender's Legacy, Sangster's Rum Cream and - are you ready - Rum Nation Jamaica Supreme Lord IV 21 Year!!

I pray she finds the latter, but the MBL would be awful nice too. As would all of em, lol...
Jim, did you ever get the Rum Nation? I just had the chance to try the Supreme Lord IV tonight and liked it a lot, this is real rum and shows that typical Jamaican character.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

• Information