Ron Antigua Bodega 1800 Six Year

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:58 pm

Ron Antigua Bodega 1800 Six (6) Anos: "A Hot Toddy"

Sue Sea and I have arrived at the point where we have tasted most all the important rums (and a few not so). Accordingly, we continue to search for the unusual, the new and especially for the hidden treasures - ideally, underrated and underpriced.

Now, now don't assume that Ron Bodega is one of those! But don't assume otherwise either. Some of the rums I've purchased in such testing of the limits have turned out be real dogs - example: 1 Barrel from Belize. A highly marketed product that earned our lowest rating ever.

Ron Bodega 1800 Six (6) Year is a rum I've rarely seen, is not well promoted, remains (until now) unreviewed and a real blind shot in the barrel. However, I did find this relatively rare offering next to a Cruzan Rum Cream. Both were relatively inexpensive - $18 for the Bodega and $16 for the Cruzan) so it was a no brainer.

I'm more than willing to risk $18 to enlighten my fellow rum drinkers. Enough self-centered aggrandizement, let's aim, fire and see if we hit anything. Here's an exerpt from our review:

Sue Sea:
After reviewing close to 80 rums, I have mixed emotions when Jim brings home yet another bottle. I want our living space to look like a home, not a bodega. But I can't and won't stop him, and tasting a new rum is always fun. Ron Bodega 1800 was no exception.

Bodega comes in a nice, simple but classic traditional bottle. Medium neck, indented base and with an equally simple but effective antique label. No offputting marketing jargon, just the facts: Rum Bodega 1800, Old Rum No. 6, an old sailing ship and "product of Venezuela".

I like this. No pretense, no Tommy Bahama.

We cracked the bottle and both of us had the same impression. And it wasn't pleasant! Oily, harsh, almost sour and heavy aroma. The taste was better, but we quickly ended the tasting with some quick impressions:

Four (4) for me and five (5) by Jim. Low ratings. Thank god it was only $18. But then something amazing happened.

We both slept in, and Jim poured a dram of Bodega while making coffee (his nose is best in the morning). By the time I awoke he was sharing another dram with my son, and urged me to join them for an informal tasting (fully expecting to confirm our negative impressions).

Boy were we wrong!

After a couple drams each, we had an entirely different impression. This time, Ron Bodega 1800 opened with an extremely pleasant deep, rindy leather - a kind of tarry, ropey oakum. Over a background of deep citrus orange, and a high foreground of vanilla caramel! Absolutely lovely.

Tastewise, the Bodega opened with a cinnamon kick. The mid-palate was a consistent caramel/vanilla and ended with a nice clove. This transitioned to a chest warming, white peppery finish.

All in all, I came to completely different conclusion - as did Jim and he will tell you why. I love the authenticity of this rum. If additives are present, they are extremely well done. This is a real sipper that works before, during or after a meal, or simply anytime. It reminded me of a warming and wonderful hot toddy, but stands alone as such.

Superb!
For the complete review and discussion click here. This rum is really pretty unique in that its amazing complexity is the result of expert distillation and aging, not blending. You'd never guess it was 6 years old.
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information