Rum review: Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:34 pm

For as long as I can remember I've had a thing for Venezuelan rums and you could say I've never had rum from Venezuela that has disappointed me. Since learning about Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva I just knew I had to get my hands on it but this had not been possible until Rum Fest 2008, where I finally had the opportunity to get one from the Whisky Exchange stand.

I also wanted one of those cool Diplomatico posters they had hanging on the wall, but, unfortunately, by the time I was making my purchases it had been taken away.

Diplomatico Reserva Exlusiva is produced in Venezuela by Destilerias Unidas S.A., the same company that makes several other rums including Cacique rums and the majority of the spirits for Ron Pampero, which is one of my favourite rums.
Read the review on the frontpage.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Sat Dec 20, 2008 6:15 am

Count, thanks for your review. I'd recollected that Reserva Exclusiva was just as you reported - one of the liqueur types - and accordingly I won't be buying it anytime soon, as the Twiggie category is quite full enough already, thank you. But this review raises another question.

It's my hypothesis that the liqueur type rums have, or will soon have run their course in terms of being a trend. Does anyone know if or where rum sales may be reported? I'd love to know what the trends are insofar as the liqueur rums...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:04 am

I don't know if there are any specific places where the sales are reported except maybe at the distilleries but following the conversation around the net the sales of liqueur like rums isn't going to be decreasing any time soon. Because they are so extremely easy to drink, I understand why they are so popular. The "connoisseurs" out there, who appreciate the more challenging rums, are a minority.

Culture may also come into play here, some people just like sweeter more than others.

They're not bad products by all means, very good rums to introduce to beginners for instance. And I do find the Diplomático RE enjoyable, it was a good purchase for me. The other rums in this range are not quite as sweet as the RE and maybe appreciated more. Their new white rum is excellent!
--

forrest
How did you find Refined Vices?: Ministry of Rum

Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:20 pm

Another excellent review Count!!
i couldn't agree with you more... The DRE is an absolutely stunning 'slurper', that is latticed with delicate spice, intricate floral nuance, and subtle fruit tone (cola berry, fig) which are all slightly overshadowed by the sweetness-- which also is very nice, but alas to much for me to have too much of. . .

So though i would call it a great rum, i wont be buying it for myself (again) either.

There are people who track those kinds of figures, and i will try to find them and post them for you if i find them.
But Capn i am afraid the 'Sweeter Trend' in 'Premium' rum category is raging, i work at a huge liquor store and see many distributors and thousands of customers and the Count is right... We are the Minority (perhaps a vocal minority, but none the less a minority).

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:25 pm

Thank you Forrest.

I find that people in Europe tend to find drier spirits more to their taste whereas the people in South America and North American tend to like the sweeter stuff, especially in South America.
--

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:22 pm

I love sweet rums. If you enjoy it, it's great rum and the Diplomatico is loved throughout the UK.

That's why we're rum drinkers not connoisseurs. Ian Burrell drinks his beer with grenadine in it for gawds sake!

Good review Count

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:43 pm

Grenadine in beer?! Where did he pick up this habit?

Sweet rums can be good as long as the sweetness doesn't overpower everything else.
--

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Jan 07, 2009 3:44 pm

He's a sweet-toothed fiend!! Hot chocolate with loads of sugar in or grenadine in beer - that's how he gets his fix!

• Information