Rum review: Ron Atlantico Private Cask

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Tue Dec 30, 2008 9:26 pm

When new interesting products enter the market I intend to find out as much as I can about them and sometimes if I am lucky, I have the privilege to review these new products.

Such is the case with Ron Atlantico Private Cask, a product of the Dominican Republic that was launched last October in Miami by the Atlantico Importing Company or Alebrand Spirits Company, a joint venture between Aleco Azqueta and Brandon Lieb, who had previously managed some of the biggest liquor brands before they went into business together.

Ron Atlantico Private Cask consists of aged small batch rums from the Dominican Republic, which are married or blended after being handpicked by Aleco and Brandon and then further aged in small bourbon barrels also known as the "Private Casks." From these barrels the rum is yet again removed and aged using the Solera method, a method also used by another Dominican rum, Matusalem Gran Reserva.
Read the whole review on the frontpage.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

forrest
How did you find Refined Vices?: Ministry of Rum

Wed Dec 31, 2008 3:23 am

Excellent review Count!!
Great rum..

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:51 am

Your tasting notes were pretty interesting Forrest. Cola berries you say...

Have you tried mixing this rum in a Daquiri or a Mojito?
--

forrest
How did you find Refined Vices?: Ministry of Rum

Thu Jan 01, 2009 6:44 pm

Well i can see the cloud berry especially in the creamy sugary texture, but it (as i recall ) really doesn't have the darkness/ sweetness of the cola berry which is really what i was trying to tap into.

anyway the blog is up, the notes didn't change much-- which is a testament the rum..
Here is the address: http://forrest-theboozer.blogspot.com/

i made a cocktail that i call the Dark Query, it is a riff on the Daiquiri.

When i am trying rums i usually try them in a Daiquiri, i think that is perfect way to check out the abilities of a mixing rum (unless it just isn't what i would call a mixer-- which Ron Atlantico would fall into that category/quality, but i just did it because you asked, and damn it. . . was i glad--- freaking yummy.).

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Wed Jan 07, 2009 5:15 pm

Very nice review Forrest, I also agree with RumDogs comment in that review about Central American rum.
--

beachaven
How did you find Refined Vices?: google
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Mar 24, 2011 3:04 pm

I bought the last bottle in the Cleveland area, as it was flying off the shelves last weekend. I was surprised to see it on the state store list, as usually this list has liquor only based on popularity, not necessarily quality. I did a blind test of this rum, including comparisons with some higher priced, longer aged varities, and I really preferred the Atlantico to my usual brand. And it was cheaper. I do hope they will keep re-stocking it because it is a treasure.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information