Very old rums

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
tiare
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from count silvio
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:35 pm

Have anyone tried old rums? like from the 30s to the 50s?

i just made a Mai Tai with JWray&Nephews old Dagger rum, thats Jamaican dark rum. It`s a bit fiery with dark tones of molasses and dried fruits, and spicy and woody. Very balanced and complex.I imagine that JWrays 17 year old rum must have tasted something similar.It has a dark magogany color.

Does anyone know how old this rum is?

Here is a pic:
Old Wray and Nephew Dagger Punch Jamaican Dark Rum.jpg
A Mai Tai a day...

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:23 am

I tasted some Barbancourt from the 1930s in Floridita with RumDood when we were in London. It had started to "disintegrate" as there were particles floating in the rum, Paul explained this to me at Floridita but I don't recall the exact explanation right now.

This disintegration didn't affect the taste though, it was very nice stuff! Apparently this bottle was donated to Floridita by Rene van Hoven who was also with us that night.

Here is a link to a pic of it as well as an explanation and tasting notes on Rene's website.

As for the JWray 17 year old, there was not a bit of fieriness in it despite the high proof (or maybe I've burnt all the feeling from my tongue during my "research").

That rum bottle looks very old but it is difficult to say. It must be somewhere from the 1950s or before because according to the internet the production of these dagger rums stopped in the 1950s.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information