Pre-2006 El Dorado 15yo?

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:41 am

Reading Tiare's great blog, I saw her excellent article about El Dorado http://amountainofcrushedice.wordpress. ... d/#more-28 .

The information there confirmed something that I had myself noted, that the El Dorado 15yo had changed (around 2006 apparently). I recall noting this and writing about it to a few places - the new formula is not bad by any means, but it is different to the older one.

I was wondering if anyone knows in Europe a source where one could still locate some of the pre-2006 El Dorado 15yo?

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:39 am

Hmm, Tiare's article only mentions the 12 year old being reformulated in 2006 or have I completely lost the plot?

The 12 year old, used to be known as King of Diamonds, came in a tall bottle similar to the El Dorado Superior Demerara Dark rum sold over here. Unfortunately I can't find any European stores that sells the 12yo in the old bottle and I can't find any stores that sells the King of Diamonds.
Carl Kanto wrote: 05-09-2008
It is just the packaging that is different. Initially we had the King of Diamond 12 years old. After the 15 years old was launched and it took the world by storm we decided to make the range hence repackaging the 12 years to extend the range of premium products, then cam the 21 and then 25.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Jan 11, 2009 4:56 pm

Ooops, I misread that in a hurry!! My mistake, no buts or ifs about it.

But seriously, I do feel as if the 15yo has changed, but I put that change at a slightly earlier time, around the same time when the El Dorado chaps released their 21yo (and the label + box of the 15yo was modified slightly). Anyone else notice any changes? Maybe the change is due to the bottling happening in Netherlands these days, and the rum arriving there (I guess) in large containers for this purpose? I don't know..

I know from whisky that even so-called core range products keep varying some in taste from year to year, sometimes only ever so slightly, sometimes in a far more noticeable way. This has been verified by all whisky authorities as well, so for example Laphroaig 10yo from 10 years ago may taste quite different from today's same bottling. I noticed this with old Bowmore darkest which kept changing over the years, and of course the Ardbeg Uigeadail also.

Perhaps the changes I have detected in the El Dorado 15yo are due to the same phenomena, the impossibility of keeping the taste truly 100% consistent year after year? Just my speculation.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:24 pm

Well I haven't been drinking El Dorado long enough to have noticed anything except in the Superior Demerara Rum rums. One of the bottles I have is lighter in colour and has a different kind of aroma when comparing to two other bottles I have. Though it could be one of the bottles have been exposed to sunlight at one point, right now they're all in a dark cabinet. I've saved some for comparison.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

• Information