Rum Review: Havana Club Anejo Blanco

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
MJL
How did you find Refined Vices?: google
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:10 am

Sorry if this review is a bit late (one year) but I have been pretty busy in graduate school, work, family, etc this last year so here it is a year late. This review is written from the notes I created in August 2009.

BACKGROUND:
As a historian I was lucky enough to be asked, by the German government, to do some work in Germany during the summer of 2009. One late night while returning to my room after an enjoyable evening watching the Marriage of Figaro at the Hamburg Opera Haus I recalled that I had run out of my bottle of Scotch. Most German train stations have a small liquor store and tobacconist so I stopped in to pick up a new bottle at the Hamburg Hauptbanhoff. I noticed the Cuban Havana Club and since I had just bought some Cuban cigars I thought why not and took the plunge. I think the price was something like 15 Euro for a 750ml bottle
APPEARANCE:
In the bottle the rum appears clear but when held up to a strong light it has a very very faint yellow/green appearance.
NOSE:
Despite the fact that this was a white rum and I was not expecting much I was pleasantly surprised to smell how fragrant this rum was. Swirling the rum in the drinking water glass at the hotel room produced a wonderful bouquet that was buttery and surprisingly grassy. In fact the background grassy smell reminded me of Cuban sugar-cane drink called Guarapo that is made from the freshly pressed juice of the sugar cane. The grass smell is more of an essence and not the intensive in your face grass smell you get when drinking Guarapo but nonetheless the bouquet of the cane remains in the spirit.
TASTE:
Not surprisingly for a white rum the flavors were not that complex. It is understood this rum is intended primarily as an ingredient in mixed drinks. With this understood sipping/slurpring produced a buttery warm taste that finished cleanly leaving the faint essence of the cane in the nose. The taste is pleasant and was actually more complex than most white rums on the market in the USA.
LAST NOTES/THOUGHTS:
In the end this was a good drink. It was shared by myself and some of my fellow colleagues with gusto. The flavors tended to flatten out with water so we drank it with water on the side instead of mixed in. Would I buy it again? Yes, I would and did!

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:26 am

Excellent tasting notes there MJL.

Havana Club Anejo Blanco is one of my staple rums as it makes EXCELLENT Mojitos. It has just the right amount of flavour to come through perfectly in the Mojito as well as other drinks. Hell, even the basic rum and coke tastes good with the Blanco.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

MJL
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:03 pm

Thanks for the kind comments, I had longer notes but there is something weird going on when I try to post onto this site. When I get to a certain number of letters I can no longer see what I am typing. I will expand this review today with the remainder of my notes and perhaps a photo.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:55 pm

Hmm, it must be a character limit of the forum software. I will see to it that it will be increased immediately.

Edit: It is done. No need to worry about hitting a limit anymore. Apologies for any inconvenience.

:tippin:
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

MJL

Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:19 pm

Not a problem and thanks. I was wondering if it was something to do with my screen settings. Do you mind if I insert photos with my posts from my online photo storage site? I find photos enhance the review but some sites do not like them due to bandwidth limitations. I tend to make my photos medium sized.

lwtcs
How did you find Refined Vices?: friend

Sat Oct 02, 2010 12:27 am

Interesting that you reference a "grassy" note.

The distiller only referances "oak" and "fruity" as I recall.

Pretty sure they would have let that sleep in a spent barrel.
Wonder if they (single) ran that off at 70% or so for the grassy quality that you speak of?
Except ,,,they refer to this as a light rum though don't they? Hmm.

Like to speak to my friend in EC bout Rhum Agricole,,,or more specifically rhum vieux.

Either way, thanks so much for the review.
Spitting in the dunder pit when all eyes are elsewhere.

• Information