Rum Review: Maui Platinum, Gold & Dark Rum

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:24 am

Maui, the second largest island in Hawaii measuring 1883.5 square kilometres, has a variety of landscapes ranging from the arid volcanic terrain to lush jungles and has equally diverse climatic conditions.

Maui also happens to be the largest sugarcane producer in Hawaii, and of course we all know what that means – RUM!

Maui Rum is handcrafted by the master distiller Jim Sargent or Braddah Kimo at Haleakala Distillers from locally grown long maturity sugarcane that takes up to two years to grow to a height of sometimes over 3.6 meters.

The family owned distillery, where Maui Rum is produced is located on the Haleakala Ranch, which is a 30,000 acre cattle ranch established in 1888. The distillery itself opened in 2003 producing rums from Maui molasses and is a joint venture with the ranch.
Read more on the frontpage.
All Maui Rums, as explained in the previous Maui rum review, begin with the same fermented molasses base distilled into high proof spirit, used in all Haleakala Distillers rum products and aged in Jim Beam barrels for less than a year with the exception of the Maui Gold Reserve rum.

Exactly how long each individual rum spends in the barrel is not revealed, nor are any other techniques that might have been used to create a slightly different kind of rum. Caramel colouring is used only to keep the colour consistent from batch to batch.

Maui Gold Rum, like Maui Platinum Rum, comes in a simple bottle with a colourful lei around its neck, the only exception between the two being a shiny gold coloured labelling.
Read the entire review on the frontpage.
I first tried Maui Dark rum at the UK RumFest 2008 at a tasting seminar by Paul Artrip and as I recall it had a plethora of rich aromas and flavours that I immediately wanted to experience again.

I even managed to grab a bottle of the stuff for later tasting, cheers Paul!

This particular bottle spent a lot of time on the shelf before I decided to crack it open for this review.

Needless to say I was eager to re-experience my initial impressions of the rum but often the second experience will not be quite the same, especially after such a long time having not tasted it.
Read the rest of the review on the frontpage.
Maui Reserve Gold Rum is the last of the four Maui rums and it has been aged for over a year in American Oak Casks (Jim Beam) as it says on the black label in gold lettering.

There is also a smaller label near the bottom of the bottle that has hand written cask and bottle numbers and the signature of the Master Distiller and this is something I always appreciate to see in any spirits bottles.

Furthermore, I have been fortunate enough to have a bottle of rum drawn from Cask Number One, which makes it quite a collectors item indeed.
Read the final Maui review on the frontpage.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information