Ron Edmundo Dantes

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:00 pm

Ron Edmundo Dantes Gran Reserva 25 Años.

Has anyone been fortunate/unfortunate enough to have this rare and expensive cuban rum? One of the cigar bars I frequent recently purchased some of this nectar. I was fortunate enough to get a sniff and sip from Mr Mauls glass but I did not think it was as special as advertised. The aroma was quite excellent and the rum was good as well but for that price it was a bit of a disappointment.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:02 pm

I did indeed empty a glass of this rare specimen. The first impression I received was the rather high price, 25 euros for just 4 centilitres. Oh well...

Next I committed a sin and tasted it before it was properly warmed. This failed to impress so I waited a bit. As my cigar was reaching its apex I thought it would be good to have another sip of the now handwarm rum. This was a much more palatable experience but there was still too much of the harshness of pure alcohol detectable. Overall it wasn't a bad rum but I wouldn't want to put down that sort of amount of coins for it in the future. I mainly did it for the experience as it is unlikely I will ever encounter this drop again.

Unfortunately I didn't take any notes so I cannot give a more detailed analysis. It is worth a try if you happen to come by a bottle and your moneybag is feeling too heavy.
And therefore I conclude that Carthage must be destroyed.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Wed Jan 02, 2008 3:46 pm

Someone suggested Ron Varadero 15 year is a good, a lot cheaper, substitute for this rum.
--

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:42 pm

Varadero is a little rough - the cubans don't have quite the refinement....

Also, none other than Ed Hamilton was suggesting to me when he came to Rumfest that the Cubans aren't even producing all their rum anymore, crippled as they are by the embargo. The columbian drug and tobacco smugglers are involved in dropping off rum from St Lucia which is blended by HC and the other distilleries. I know nothing other than that which the man in the hat told me....

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:14 pm

Wowowo, just found these images of some kind of special packaging for Edmundo Dantes. Clicky here.

Very nice gold decorated box that also works as a humidor. I don't see why a rum should be packaged in a humidor but nevertheless its a sweet box! Only 150 available in Spain, according to the article.

The price? 800 euros reports Dan who is visiting Spain at the moment.

Edit: It appears there are gaps designed for additional levels where you could put cigars. Good planning.
There needs to be one of those auctioned at the next RumFest!
--

• Information