Your favourite rum

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:11 pm

I don't see a reason why we can't have a favourites thread in the rum section as well if we have one in the whiskey section.

With this thread I hope to conjure some discussion about various rums.

Currently my favorite rum is El Dorado 15 year old. I like it because of the robust aromas and the complex flavors.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Scottes

Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:39 pm

The ED15 is up there, but I'll always reach for Ron Zacapa 23-year-old, and it's always the rum that gets offered to others.

If I ever get a bottle of Pyrat Cask 1623 I'm going to have to do some serious comparisons to the Zacapa. I think the Cask will beat it - but at the price of the Cask I'd still be buying the Zacapa long after the Cask is gone.

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fri Nov 23, 2007 11:44 am

Now here's a topic I can get my teeth into......

Unavailable but amazing:
28 year old Silver Seal from Guyana
17 yr old JW&N
These 2 bottles are irreplaceably amazing and make the most sublime Mai Tais - my favourite cocktail.

Big rich sippers everyone should try
El Dorado 15 - I agree it's amazing but I think I prefer the Rum Nation Guyana 12
Banks XM 10 yr old - beautiful rich demerara sipping
Appleton 21 yr old - I always used to love the Extra (12) but I've fallen in love with the 21 recently - my palette has grown into it I think!
Zacapa Centenario XO - just got the edge on the 23
Pussers - I love naval rums and even though they've dropped the proof and it isn't as good, I still adore it
Flor de Cana 18 - rich and amazing
Diplomatico Exclusiva - pouund for pound it's unbeatable and is my session rum - I can demolish a bottle in double quick time!

Slightly left-field rums
One Barrel from Belize. Most comples 5 year old rum I've tasted
Royal Oak. It's what the local Trini's drink
Bacardi Havana Club - I should hate it but it makes the most buttery but zingy daiquiris
Barancourt 8 - it's amazing they get anything out of Haiti, particularly anything this good
St Aubin Vanille - just because nothing else on earcth smells like it....still not found a drink i like it in though

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:53 pm

I'd love to get one Cask 1623 next to my Pyrat Planters Gold, too bad its very expensive.

Paul, does Zacapa XO ever enter competitions? I don't think I've ever seen it on any lists.
--

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:26 am

No I've not seen it on any lists. I think the comps are generally for commercially available products. Not sure IL would want their 23 year old overshadowed and the XO is a touch expensive (but worth it!)

Dood

Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:42 am

Favorites...wow...

Well my current list of favorites is (in no particular order):

Temptryst Cherrywood
Ron Zacapa Centenario 23-Year-Old
Pyrat Cask 1623
Appleton Estate 21-Year-Old

I do believe I like the Zacapa more than I do the Cask, but I'm not sure as I haven't done a solid comparison - I've only had the Cask in the tasting room in Anguilla. I'm planning on holding off on opening my bottle of Cask until December 5th - Repeal Day here in the US.

It will, of course, be added to the long list of pending reviews I need to write.

Scottes

Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:06 am

When you drink the Cask, drink it slowly. It changes between sips, if the sips are spaced.

And when it's done, place an index card over the glass you used. Let it sit for some time, like 30-60 minutes. Lift the card, stick your nose in, enjoy.

:-)

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:18 am

Dood wrote:Temptryst Cherrywood
Where could one acquire this rum? Is it even on sale yet?
--

Dood

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:47 am

Count Silvio wrote:
Dood wrote:Temptryst Cherrywood
Where could one acquire this rum? Is it even on sale yet?
It isn't. Acquiring it required some cajoling, kidnapping, ransom, and the careful packaging of various bottles to be shipped via UPS.

Essentially, I had the good fortune of having access to some rums that angelsword did not, and was able to arrange a trade.

I currently have 3 small Temptryst bottles on my shelf - Cherrywood, Dark Chocolate, and Mesquite. I have upcoming reviews of the Dark Chocolate and Mesquite due to appear on my site within the next week or so.

Dood

Sat Dec 01, 2007 6:49 am

For those interested in my notes on the Cherrywood, they're available here

tiare
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from count silvio

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:35 pm

My favorite so far is El Dorado 15 and after that the Zacapa23.

But I can`t compare them to my other fav`s which are the agricoles which is another type of rum.
A Mai Tai a day...

Henry Deare, Adventurer

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:34 am

Ron Matruselum 15 Gran Reserva.
It's a blended rum, but with the majority of the blend aged at 15 years it is incredibly smooth and a delight to drink.

hairynosedwombat
How did you find Refined Vices?: zgeek

Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:57 am

My favourite rum without doubt is Bundaberg Rum, (Bundaberg<QLD,AUST)Imageit was first produced in 1888 after some local sugar millers proposed using the excess molasses produced in their mills to make rum. Production ceased from 1907 to 1914 and from 1936 to 1939 after fires, the second of which caused rum from the factory to spill into the nearby Burnett River
Bundaberg Rum UP - the original underproof, 37.0% alcohol, 74 proof (this is my chosen drink of choice :D )
Bundaberg Rum OP - an overproof version of Bundaberg UP at 57.7% alcohol, 115.4 proof
Bundaberg Rum Royal Liqueur - with coffee and chocolate, only available from the distillery
Bundaberg Rum Distiller's No3 - a triple filtered blend
Bundaberg Rum 18 Year Old - an extremely limited release - only 5,142 bottles ever made
Bundaberg Rum 8 year old - Matured in Oak, Limited release 2007, 40.0%ALC/VOL
Bundaberg Rum black 1985 vat, Aged 10 years, distilled from molasses 40%.0%ALC/VO

Love the forum and shall spread the word .....cheers to all

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:39 am

Welcome to Refined Vices and thanks for spreading the word! I heard Bundaberg were coming out with a new rum, it must be the 8 year old that is going to be launched worldwide soon. Have you sampled this 8 year old rum and what about the 18 and 10 year old rum?
--

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:51 am

The previous replies sure cover a lot of fine rums. It's interesting to see the varying personal preferences.

My tastes are very classic and traditional in the sense I love the tradition and the entire experience of Mount Gay Extra Old. Close seconds include Seale's 10, which is slightly more accessible and the aromatic Appleton Extra. Those who know me will not be surprised that Barbancourt Five Star shows up.

So much for my first tier...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

The Squire
How did you find Refined Vices?: links

Mon Jul 14, 2008 4:11 am

nice Forum Count!,

tight race between the El dorado 12 yr and the barbancourt 8yr..I think the el dorado might have it by a nose..
The Squire
Rum Alliance.com

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:40 am

Thank you Squire and welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your stay. Have you tried the El Dorado 15 Year?
--

The Squire
How did you find Refined Vices?: links

Mon Jul 14, 2008 6:59 am

Count Silvio wrote:Thank you Squire and welcome to the forums! I hope you enjoy your stay. Have you tried the El Dorado 15 Year?
Cheers,

Not yet..at a AU$120 its a pricey little number..but in time I'll give in ... I have my eyes on the Pryat XO as the next target...an exciting step for OZ, only available in a scattering of cocktail bars until now..

I was intriqued to read 15yr reviews and how it compares to my experiences with the 12yr, It would be fascinating to see the results of a blind tasting for the two rums head to head, since they both seem to rest on similar characteristics...that smooth caramelly long legged demerara...I could imagine the differences would become more definable quite quickly.
The Squire
Rum Alliance.com

paulipbartender

Mon Jul 14, 2008 10:06 am

The 15 year old is blended for a drier palette and I might suggest has a more full and challenging range of flavours than the 12. Not to denigrate the exceptional younger brother though....

JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum

Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:22 am

paulipbartender wrote:Now here's a topic I can get my teeth into......

Royal Oak. It's what the local Trini's drink
Yeh, dis a realrealreal Trini rum boy..Ah does have it at home also, cyah go foreign without meh Royal Oak nah..! :P

Anyways, I do quite like Angostura's 1824 - it is complex no tail, not an easy sipper like Zacapa, but like they say in Shrek - its like an onion, it has layers - and each layer displays a new kind of richness in flavours. Dark and robusto.

Appleton 21yo is fab stuff indeed, so is the El Dorado 21yo. Indy-bottlings of rums are as much as guessing-game as with whiskies, but they are often fabulous examples of a particular style.

Contrary to some, I am not a fan of Pyrat, the rum world's Cointreau..just too much of that orange-liqueur taste in there for my palate. I am not a huge fan of Zacapa either, too sweet and easy, but this is of course just a matter of tastes...Reminds me of a time when I went to a winebar to sip a glass of red wine, and was recommended an Australian Syrah - I instead asked about an older Rioja which was sitting on the shelf. -Oh no, said the bartender, that old wine is too old, very difficult, leathery and full of unpleasant tannins. -So am I, I said, -please pour me a glass...needless to say I enjoyed the fabulous rioja to the max :twisted:

• Information