Pusser's

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dai
How did you find Refined Vices?: search
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:09 pm

Just bought my first bottle of Pusser's rum and I'm sitting here enjoying a glass. I've seen quite a few videos of Ralfy whisky reviews where he puts a tea spoon of water in to a whisky so thought I'd try it and it makes quite a difference to Pusser's which I was sitting on the fence about. Yes a lot more enjoyable for me.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Wed Aug 14, 2013 3:17 am

Are you drinking the 54.4% Pusser's? It is not uncommon to dilute higher ABV spirits down to about 40% so in this case the teaspoon would do the trick!

I always try higher ABV spirits without water and then with a drop of water and see if it makes any difference to the flavours and aromas, it is an interesting experiment to find that "sweet spot." Normally I prefer higher than 40% as I find that many rums benefit from the higher ABV, releasing more intricate aromas and flavours. Also the mouthfeel is different.

:cheers:
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Dai
How did you find Refined Vices?: search
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:16 am

Count Silvio wrote:Are you drinking the 54.4% Pusser's? It is not uncommon to dilute higher ABV spirits down to about 40% so in this case the teaspoon would do the trick!

I always try higher ABV spirits without water and then with a drop of water and see if it makes any difference to the flavours and aromas, it is an interesting experiment to find that "sweet spot." Normally I prefer higher than 40% as I find that many rums benefit from the higher ABV, releasing more intricate aromas and flavours. Also the mouthfeel is different.

:cheers:
Yes it's the 54% Pusser's it's the only one available (apart from the 15 year old) in the UK.
We did a calculation before and one quarter of water to one of pusser's brings it down to 40/42%. So if you a good set of jiggers 2oz of Pusser's to 1/2oz of water should do it.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:36 am

Very precise! I always just went with my gut, never thought of actually calculating it.

:poppin:
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

• Information