Rum Barrels

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Dai
How did you find Refined Vices?: search
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:34 pm

Are there any rum distillers besides Prichards who use non bourbon barrel's (fresh barrel's or first use barrel's)?
It has occured to me that rum distilling's use of used bourbon barrel's is relatively recent last 50 years or so I could be wrong I'm not a history buff on rum. Going back 200 years ago rum would of been using fresh barrel's. Just a thought that some of you guy's might know about.

JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:19 am

I think we would find that initially, any kind of cask would have been used - whatever was available. Also a lot of rum was not casked at all, but bottled or consumed as is - raw spirit.

I do not know how many distillers use sherry, madeira, port etc casks, but I think some do to a certain extent. Probably a whole lot more rare than bourbon, given even the logistics & trade nowadays.

sleepy
How did you find Refined Vices?: rumproject.com

Sun Sep 15, 2013 3:18 am

Yes, several. if not many distilleries use barrels other than the relatively cheap recycled bourbon barrels. A couple that come to mind are Robert Seale's Doorly's XO which is a blend of bourbon, sherry and Madeira casks, if I recall, and Rhum Clement VSOP, which is a blend of young french oak casks and bourbon casks and hits the palate as a so-so cognac labelled as rum. The former, I enjoy greatly, the latter not so much. Then again I still love Pussers, which seems to be aged in tarry, ancient casks that have been used to store old shoes!

• Information