Brugal Siglo de Oro

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:17 pm

I know a bar that sells this rum for 11 euros a glass. I would like to know if this is worth the money and more importantly if anyone has any specific cigar recommendations for this rum. This rum is not available for purchase here but I think either Extra Viejo or Añejo might be which brings me to the question if either of these two are worth investing some money in? I'd appreciate some tasting notes and experiences in this thread please.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Dood

Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:27 pm

Count Silvio wrote:I know a bar that sells this rum for 11 euros a glass. I would like to know if this is worth the money and more importantly if anyone has any specific cigar recommendations for this rum. This rum is not available for purchase here but I think either Extra Viejo or Añejo might be which brings me to the question if either of these two are worth investing some money in? I'd appreciate some tasting notes and experiences in this thread please.
Hello Count.

Brugal's Siglo de Oro is a treat that I recently brought back from my most recent trip to the islands. It is a FANTASTIC rum. 11 euros a glass seems a bit steep, but I know I've seen it online at 90 euros a bottle, so I guess that's the going rate. I got my bottle at a steal for $60US...all it required was a trip to St. Maarten. ;)

I have a full set of tasting notes and plan to post a full review on my site by the end of this week.

The brief notes I have are thus:

Color: Warm Amber

Legs: Very strong. While there is some runniness, if you watch the glass, it looks like a syrup running down the sides

Nose: Scents include orange peal, leather, and a scent that was a little surprising – banana? Banana leaf? It’s a cool nose…woody, cool, but rich

Taste Profile: No burn. Clean finish. Slight tingle on the tongue. Woody. Leather and mellow sweetness. Coffee, orange. Light, but earthy.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:45 pm

Thank you for the short review. I would find banana a very pleasant surprise in a rum. Many people have reported banana in those little heavier rums but I am yet to find any banana in my rums though.
--

Dood

Mon Dec 10, 2007 7:37 pm

Count Silvio wrote:Thank you for the short review. I would find banana a very pleasant surprise in a rum. Many people have reported banana in those little heavier rums but I am yet to find any banana in my rums though.
There really isn't any banana on the palate that I could detect...I only found the banana in the nose.

Dood

Mon Dec 17, 2007 10:56 pm

Full review is up here

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:02 am

You've convinced me, Dood. Surely I must try this rum on my christmas holiday! I will post my tasting notes here when I've done so. It will be interesting to compare my own experience with yours. I just hope the rum hasn't oxidised too much on the shelf of the bar where it is available. :happysad:
--

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information