Plantation Rum

Rum, Rhum, Ron. Talk about your favorite sugarcane spirits in this rum forum.

Moderator: Henry Deare, Adventurer

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:09 pm

I was just browsing The Whisky Exchange today and I noticed they are selling Plantation St Lucia Rum. This is something I've never heard about in the plantation series. I also noticed they have Plantation Grenada Rum. The official Plantation website does not advertise these products so that got me thinking if they have any other Plantation Rum products they do not advertise?
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Scottes

Sat Dec 22, 2007 3:48 am

The Plantation rums change from time to time. My favorite was unavailable by the time I finished the bottle.

I have never heard of their St. Lucia, but that's one I'd grab.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:43 pm

I find it odd they don't update their website to keep us up to date.
--

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:46 pm

The plantation series are vintages assembled by a French collector. As vintages they are only available for a limited time.

We've got the St Lucia, Grenada, Barbados, Jamaica and Guyana - none of which are outstanding to my mind. The better range is the Rum Nation range, bottled in Scotland available from Royal Mile Whisky http://www.royalmilewhiskies.co.uk/.

My hot tip is for anyone to lay their hands on the Rum Nation Guyana 12 year old. Pound for pound the best spirit I have ever tasted.....but in short supply :(

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Jan 08, 2008 1:43 pm

I've had my eye on the Rum Nation rums for quite a while now, haven't seen much conversation about them though. They seem like an interesting series. A german netshop is selling a few of these rums: Rum Nation Jamaica 1982, Demerara 12 year, Nicaragua 15 year and Panama 18 year. The Demerara 12 year old is the most affordable of these though the last two are only 7~ euros more expensive. The price seems the same as on Royal Mile Whiskies.
--

paulipbartender
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:15 pm

Buy the Demerara as soon as you can. It's incredible, I really can't recommend it enough

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:35 pm

Fair enough, it is on the list of rums I need to get. I don't know how soon I can place an order though because it isn't worth ordering just one bottle. To make it worth I would need to get atleast 5 to 6 bottles (shipping costs). I'm looking for a friend who might want to place an order with me so I wouldn't have to buy that many bottles alone.
:pith:
--

paulipbartender

Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:58 pm

I could get through 5 or 6 bottles of the Rum Nation Demerara 12 in a week. There are always takers when that gets opened around here and I'm always game :)

As I can't get anymore around here at the moment, you could pick it up for us and then pop over for a session to drink it!?!

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:16 pm

It is not the amount of bottles I could go through but the total price of all the bottles. I have not yet won a lottery so at the moment I have to consider where I spend the precious money I have.

What comes to your suggestion about popping over, well that is a splendid suggestion and I will have to take that suggestion one day.
--

paulipbartender

Tue Jan 08, 2008 6:17 pm

I think I've said it before, you would be welcome with open arms, and the arms of the London bar industry would be thrown open as well

:D

tiare
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from count silvio

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:29 pm

paulipbartender wrote:Buy the Demerara as soon as you can. It's incredible, I really can't recommend it enough
For those who happens to live near Denmark, here is a link to Bjergtroldens rum list:
http://bjergtrolden.dk/prisliste.php?vi ... gid=15#686

I think its possible to send them a email and order the Nation demerara12.
A Mai Tai a day...

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:41 pm

Welcome to the Gentlemen's lounge Tiare, though we do welcome ladies as well.

Bjergtrolden seems to overprice the rum quite a bit (over 50 euros). Spirituosen superbillig sells this rum for 30 euros. What does the delivery cost from Bjergtrolden, Tiare? (I would find it myself but I don't understand the language).
--

tiare

Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:29 pm

Thank you Count Silvio..

I have e-mailed them to ask that so I`ll come back with info when I get a reply. Spirituosen superbillig..good that you said that so I can compare the prices.
A Mai Tai a day...

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:38 pm

I think spirituosens prices are pretty reasonable if not cheap and the delivery is about 20 euros in europe. I'm considering placing an order for three bottles in february and hope they arrive for my birthday.

Nation Rum 12 years Demerara
30,85 EUR

The Nation Rum is definitely on my list so I will need to choose 2 rums from these unless of course anyone has any other rum recommendations from Spirituosen Superbillig:

Barbancourt Rhum 8 Years
28,95 EUR

Doorlys XO Rum Barbados
29,95 EUR

Mount Gay Extra Old Rum Barbados 1 liter

Ocumare Anejo 12 years
33,95 EUR

Barcelo Imperial
29,95 EUR
--

tiare

Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:48 pm

My Appleton is almost finished so I`ll get one if i buy from this site.
I want to pair it with St James hors d`age for my Mai Tais.

Appleton Estate Extra 12 Jahre alt Rum Jamaica

23,65 EUR
A Mai Tai a day...

tiare

Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:46 pm

Count Silvio wrote:What does the delivery cost from Bjergtrolden, Tiare? (I would find it myself but I don't understand the language).
Got their reply yesterday, delivery for 1 bottle is dkr 250..but the Nation is finished anyway.So spirituosen is the choice.
A Mai Tai a day...

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:28 am

I'm having hard time deciding between Doorlys XO and Barbancourt 8 and I need to place the order today.
--

paulipbartender

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:11 pm

Barbancourt all the way old boy. The Doorly's XO is fine but can be saved for another day

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:37 pm

How would you describe Barbancourt 8? I read Scottes Doorlys review and it sounds pretty good. Also they've lowered the price of Doorlys by 9 euros now.
--

Scottes

Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:41 am

I find the Doorly's to be the more interesting rum due to its complexity, but the Barbancourt is a finer, more drinkable rum. If pressed, I'd get the Barbancourt, but I'd rather have both.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:15 pm

I decided to get the Barbancourt. I figured I am not in haste since I still have a lot of unreviewed rums, I can get Doorlys next time. Did you get your Doorlys in a metal tube?
--

paulipbartender

Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:49 pm

How is the Barbancourt? Have you rushed off the cap yet?

Yes, the Doorly's XO comes in a metal tube. A rum supplier told me that consumers don't view rums as being premium unless they come in a metal tube. I told him I couldn't give a monkeys what the bottle is wrapped in as long as the rum is good and the packaging not hideous

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:47 pm

I haven't received the package yet from Germany. It will take some time even after I've received it because I have to photograph the products for the reviews before opening them. If I'm lucky I'll get it next week before wednesday (provided there are no problems with the customs).
--

Scottes

Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:32 pm

I didn't get my Doorly's in a tube. Then again, I got it for US $16 at a close-out sale. For that price they can keep the tube.

RobertBurr
How did you find Refined Vices?: Ministry Of Rum

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:17 am

Doorly's XO, without a tube, is $19 here at Total Wines. Barbancourt 8 is a few dollars more.
Robert A. Burr
Gifted Rums Guide
Gifted Rums Tasting Events
http://www.giftedrums.com

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:46 am

RobertBurr wrote:Doorly's XO, without a tube, is $19 here at Total Wines. Barbancourt 8 is a few dollars more.
Consider yourself lucky! Also your avatar scares me, I just noticed the eyes expand to lemur eyes! :poppin:
--

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:14 pm

I just sampled Plantation Rum Jamaica 8 year old. Surprisingly the rum has same floral tones I found in Angostura 1919.
--

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:39 pm

My grand haul of Mount Gay XO, Rum Nation Demerara 12 and Barbancourt 8 has just arrived! There were some complications with DHL that delayed the delivery about a week but I am glad they are here now. What also makes me glad is that I didn't have to pay any tax for it which means the hooch will taste all the more delicious. Now ahead is the painful task of photographing them for reviews before I can open any of them.

--

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Thu Mar 06, 2008 3:58 pm

Count Silvio wrote:What also makes me glad is that I didn't have to pay any tax for it which means the hooch will taste all the more delicious.
Smuggler's palate. I'm quite fond of the effect myself. :tippin:
And therefore I conclude that Carthage must be destroyed.

• Information