Wild Turkey Rye

Be it whiskey, whisky or scotch, this is the place.

Moderators: Sñr Juan Pablo de Español, Lord Neville Crispin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:38 pm

I recently noticed the alcohol monopoly has added Wild Turkey Rye to their list of new products. I'm a big fan of the regular Wild Turkey so I am wondering how much different the rye version is? Personally I've never had any rye whiskey so I cannot even begin to imagine what it could possibly be like.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Amarantha
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:17 pm

That's what I use for Manhattans and Old-Fashioneds; I recommend it, at least for mixing. Can't comment for sipping, as I tend to stick to single-malt-scotch or the occasional brandy for that. I got my rye at Nick's Wine Merchants in Doncaster. From what I've read, there are probably better ryes in the world, but not many that are easily obtainable in Australia. I made my choice from the limited range available by reading this thread on eGullet:
http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=75005

Henry Deare, Adventurer
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:25 pm

I didn't know you were a fan of the Turkey, Count.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:28 pm

Ever since I bought it from Portugal as suggested by Sir Prospero Lext. Yes I've become quite fond of the Turkey indeed.
--

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Aug 07, 2008 7:48 am

I have now noticed there is Wild Turkey 12 years available at the shops. I would be interested in hearing any comparisons between this and the regular Turkey.
--

JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum

Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:39 pm

I cannot shed any additional light as far as the 12-year old goes, but I have tried the Wild Turkey Rare Breed bourbon.

This much acclaimed, cask strength bourbon was not to my liking, mainly due to the super-dry finish which at least my bottle had. Of course this was years ago, and current batches may vary significantly from the one I had around 2001-2002.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:58 pm

I've been achin' to find some Rare Breed ever since I fell in love with Wild Turkey 8! Now it looks like there is yet another Turkey in the henhouse to keep an eye out for - a bourbon aged for 15 years. You have not tried this yet have you?
--

JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum

Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:46 pm

Can't say that I have, but it certainly looks distinguished and the price is reasonable, what with strong euro against weak dollar, that is.

Wild Turkey does make fine products, I just happened to like a slightly sweeter Bourbon than what Rare Breed is. I am not saying it was bad, just dry at the finish, more so than my favorites. These include Blanton's, Hirsch, Booker's and Knobb Creek.

sailor22
How did you find Refined Vices?: from a refrence in a whis

Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:34 am

Everyones taste is different but from my experience--- The Wild Turkey Rye is a bit coarse compared to say the excellent Van Winkle Rye.
Also give the Two Sazerac Ryes a taste - I suspect all three will impress significantly over the Wild Turkey.

captain gonzo
How did you find Refined Vices?: current member

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:50 pm

I've been particuarly interested in this.

I love wild turkey 8, good bourbon at a high proof. Smooth enough to sip but with enough kick to keep it interesting. I hear the rye variety is a little spicier and a little less smooth which makes it quite appealing to me.

MJL
How did you find Refined Vices?: google

Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:34 am

I really like Wild Turkey Rye Whiskey. This is technically a form of Bourbon whiskey (corn is the major grain, it is aged in new American oak barrels that have been charred, etc) but had rye added instead of wheat. Wheat Bourbons are sweeter. Rye Bourbons tend to have a spicy finish. Wild Turkey makes a great Rye. Really it is underestimated by a lot of folks. Rye can be really complex if done right and Wild Turkey does it right. I recommend trying Wild Turkey Rye with lots of lemon juice and ginger ale. For whatever reason the ginger ale really brings the best out of the Rye.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:21 pm

Welcome to the forums MJL!

What proportions of lemon juice and ginger ale would you use with the rye and do you have any other serving recommendations? Does it mix with cola as well as the 8 year old does? Would you consider sipping the rye neat?

Returning back to my previous post about Wild Turkey 12 - I have now tasted this and I can't say I would recommend it over the 8. I only had one glass but I wasn't very impressed.
--

MJL
How did you find Refined Vices?: google

Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:23 pm

Count Silvio wrote:Welcome to the forums MJL!

What proportions of lemon juice and ginger ale would you use with the rye and do you have any other serving recommendations? Does it mix with cola as well as the 8 year old does? Would you consider sipping the rye neat?

Returning back to my previous post about Wild Turkey 12 - I have now tasted this and I can't say I would recommend it over the 8. I only had one glass but I wasn't very impressed.

Proportions? Hmm? I usually put a little ice into an Iced Tea glass pour what I reckon is about a double shot of Rye into it then a few glugs (maybe two or three tablespoons) of lemon juice. I then fill the rest of the glass (about half) with Ginger Ale. Depending on the varied drinkers some have gotten a range of flavors from anisette all the way to nuts in the aftertaste of this drink.

I think the Wild Turkey Rye will hold up to being drunk with some ice and maybe a little water. The 101 proof mellows out a lot when water or ice is added. This also tends to free up some flavors and aromas trapped by the higher proof. Be careful not to water the Rye down too far as it may go bland on you. Some just add one or two ice cubes and sip away as they melt. Some of the cheaper Ryes are good for mixed drinks but aren't so great straight or with ice. In particular I am not a fan of the Jim Beam Rye and Old Overholt for anything more than mixing. For that purpose they both do a great job and, frankly, are cheap enough. In the bad old day of the 1960s and before Rye was usually associated with gut rot booze drunk by men who wanted to get blasted quick. That association of Rye with gut rot is not fair at all and has tainted it with many of the older generation. My late 60s Father-In-Law laughs at me for drinking it but I like it a lot. Think complex flavors that trigger all sorts of sensors in the mouth and require from the drinker to consider what is going on and what flavors are being generated. I recognize that many will never like Rye but I think it is worth a try...just give it a chance; drink it slow and consider the flavors.

• Information