Single Barrel or Gentleman?

Be it whiskey, whisky or scotch, this is the place.

Moderators: Sñr Juan Pablo de Español, Lord Neville Crispin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Lord Neville Crispin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Sep 11, 2007 7:53 pm

I was in the shops yesterday and was confronted with the question of whether to purchase a bottle of Single Barrel or Gentleman Jack. The price difference was negligible, but I was uncertain as to the interesting aspects of each different blend.

Any information would find you in my good graces.

Sñr Juan Pablo de Español
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Tue Sep 11, 2007 8:35 pm

I haven't tried either I am afraid, but what I normally do in this kind of predicament is either buy them both or alternatively buy one and then the other when cash flow allows. Flawless advice :tippin:

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Wed Sep 12, 2007 6:05 pm

I almost bought Gentleman Jack from Estonia. It is a hard decision but what I've come to understand is that the Single Barrel is the superior product. I have not had the pleasure of sampling either yet.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Lord Neville Crispin

Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:07 pm

What a conundrum! I still have not yet made up my mind, and due to the prolonged stay in these Teutonic surroundings (coupled with a lightening of the billfold), I believe I shall have to postpone the final decision 'til I reach the more acclimate surroundings of the mother country. For the interim, a nice simple bottle of Jameson has perched itself upon my spirits shelf, assisting with the pending decisions and associated pains.

AngelSword

Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:37 pm

I have a bottle of each on my shelves.

The single barrel varies a fair bit from bottle to bottle since they are not blended to create consistency. The whole concept is something of a marketing ploy to play on the word "single" to draw on those that might normally choose a single malt. While single malts are blended from various casks and various years to create greater complexity, many "single barrels" are frequently more singular but occasionally more simple. Perhaps if one thought of a horn solo vs. an orchestral arrangement.

Gentleman Jack is smooth and elegant but with a slight sweetness more generally associated with a rum. A clear winner between these two.

Lord Neville Crispin

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:37 pm

AngelSword wrote:I have a bottle of each on my shelves.

The single barrel varies a fair bit from bottle to bottle since they are not blended to create consistency. The whole concept is something of a marketing ploy to play on the word "single" to draw on those that might normally choose a single malt. While single malts are blended from various casks and various years to create greater complexity, many "single barrels" are frequently more singular but occasionally more simple. Perhaps if one thought of a horn solo vs. an orchestral arrangement.

Gentleman Jack is smooth and elegant but with a slight sweetness more generally associated with a rum. A clear winner between these two.
Excellent timing on the post of your opinion dear sir. The aforementioned bottle of Jameson is nearly empty, and the shelf is dreadfully empty. I shall purchase a bottle of Gentleman Jack upon the next visitation of my local bottle seller.

Lord Neville Crispin

Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:32 am

On Friday evening, after supping, I was able to join my friend from the Emerald Isle down at a local establishment, while not known for its refinement, does have ample stock of whiskey and whisky.

I was able to sample a glass of Single Barrel as well as some Gentleman Jack. Angelsword's advice proved reliable, which was not a surprise at all. While the glass of Single Barrel was quite good, I found it to have a profound taste of alcohol, which interfered with any subtle flavours underneath. The Gentleman Jack was much smoother and refined.

I shall purchase it as soon as I am able to move some of these antiques I have recently acquired, which will supply me with enough Pieces of Eight.

Lord Neville Crispin

Mon Nov 12, 2007 11:27 am

The Gentleman resides now upon my shelf. A small sampling was done last night. Delicious.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:43 pm

How does it compare to Jack Daniels old No.7?
--

lady ermenegildo zegna

Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:50 pm

Count Silvio wrote:How does it compare to Jack Daniels old No.7?
i have been known to partake of both dear count and i have found a better explaination than i might produce as to why jack daniels no.7 was lacking in comparison.
http://www.epinions.com/content_137340948100
"I drink to make other people interesting." — George Jean Nathan

paulipbartender

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:10 pm

Gentleman Jack isn't older - it's just been double charcoal filtered;

Jack Daniel’s and ‘old no7’

History

· Jasper (Jack) Newton Daniel was born around 1850 in Lynchburg Tennessee and left home to move in with a family friend at the age of six. Jack learnt how to make whiskey at a very early age whilst working for a local preacher who also made his own whiskey.

· Jack Daniels opened his distillery at Cave Spring in 1866 and began to produce his style of whiskey, which became very popular very quickly. When in 1866 the US government introduced licensing for distillers Jack was the first in the entire country to register the distillery.

· The whiskey started life as the ‘Belle of Lincoln’ and ‘Old Fashioned’ until Jack decided to change the name. He was in Tullahoma taking to a merchant friend who had seven stores that he had built up over the last few years, Jack thought this would be a good name for his whiskey as it used processes passed down through generations and he wanted it to made for years to come. So the whiskey was renamed ‘old no7’

· Jack Daniel died in 1911 due to complications arising when he kicked his office safe. His nephew Lem Motlow who had been running the distillery for a number of years officially took over. Moore county (formerly part of Lincoln county) introduced prohibition in 1908 and in 1909 the distillery (under the control of Lem Motlow) moved to St Louis, Missouri where the whiskey was produced until 1920 when prohibition became nationwide. Production in St Louis started again in 1933 after the nationwide repeal of prohibition. However, the Jack Daniels distillery did not return to Lynchburg until prohibition was repealed in Tennessee in 1938. Moore county is still ‘dry’ and the only place you can purchase Jack Daniels in Lynchburg is at the distillery.

· When Jack died Lem Motlow changed the label on the ‘old no7’ brand to black as a mark of respect.

· Jack Daniels is the top selling American whiskey in the world with sales in the UK being around ten times more than all the other American whiskies put together.

Production

· Jack Daniels is produced using the Lincoln County Process of charcoal mellowing, the process was invented by Alfred Eaton in the 1820’s as a way of removing impurities in the spirit

· The mash bill is 80% corn, 12% rye and 8% barley malt, the grain is then fermented using sour mash from the last distillation and then distilled in a doubler. The doubler does not act as a second still but as a pre-warmer for the spirit so the whiskey retains a lot of character

· The water used in the production of the whiskey comes from the Cave spring and is ideal for making whiskey as it has a very low iron content and is a constant 56° F, the water has also been naturally filtered though the limestone which softens the water and makes it ideal for making whiskey.

· The whiskey is then filtered through ten feet of sweet maple charcoal, a process that lasts around four days. The leaching process smoothes the whiskey, softening the rough edges and adding a little sweetness.

· Jack Daniels ‘old no7’ is aged for 6 years in new charred oak.

· With the exception of Gentleman Jack (this has been charcoal filtered twice) and Single Barrel (not blended); all other Jack Daniels brands such as Green label are the same whiskey as ‘old no7’ but have either been aged longer, have a stronger alcohol content or were aged in different warehouses.

Dacaqa Fe Noyetuxuhe

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:32 am

I also have acquired a quantity of Gentleman Jack and with it some Bushmills Malt 10yo Single Malt Irish Whiskey.

I feel today is a superb day for some tasting.

Count Charles von De'lata

Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:26 pm

My dear fellow, I would have thought the answer would have been obvious!

If neither has caressed your palate before, simply buy both and make careful study of which notes in each appeals to your particular enjoyment. While a step up in quality will obviously make a difference, everybody has different characteristics they enjoy in a good spirit which is why there is a market for so many different whiskeys of the same age and quality.

I myself like a scotch with a strong malty finish, but that's not everyone's cup of tea.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:56 pm

Quite so dear chap, quite so. I'm sure it would make a wonderful christmas gift wouldn't you agree?
--

• Information