Distillery tour: Jameson

Be it whiskey, whisky or scotch, this is the place.

Moderators: Sñr Juan Pablo de Español, Lord Neville Crispin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:45 am

The Scribe wrote:I was in London last April visiting a friend who was living there for the year, and, it being that time of year, we decided we would be unable to forgive ourselves if we did not head over to Dublin for St. Patrick’s Day. The day after the festivities, we had a flight back to London at seven in the evening, but that left the entire day to recover and see the rest of the sights in Dublin. My two companions, being girls, decided to check out the local shopping. I, being hung over, decided that their giddiness was taxing my tolerance. I ventured off to tour the Old Jameson Distillery, and catch a little hair of the dog, while they browsed and purchased to their hearts’ delight.

The Old Jameson Distillery was the site of the distillation of Jameson’s products from the company’s founding in 1780 until, as best I can tell, the Irish Distillers Group was formed in 1966 and production shifted to the Midleton facility. The Midleton distillery now produces all mass market Irish whiskey with the exception of Bushmills. The old distillery in Dublin has been converted into a tourist destination.

On entering you are greeted by a huge open room which used to hold one the huge mash tuns. Immediately ahead of you, visible under a glass floor are the concentric brick rings required to support the weight. Beyond that is the ticket counter where you can purchase tickets for the tour. To you right as you enter is a bar where you can purchase a variety of cocktails made with Jameson as well as drink the whiskey straight. For sipping neat, on the rocks, or with water you can get any of the whiskeys in the Jameson line, from the original all the way up to the Rare Vintage Reserve. As I recall they offered Jameson mojitos, but I wouldn’t try one. On your left is the Jameson gift shop. You can get pretty much anything you like with the Jameson logo on it, from pens to golf club bags. You can also get any of the whiskeys produced by the Irish Distillers Group, including, if you happen to have €55,000 to spend, the full twenty-five year run of Middleton Very Rare.
Read the entire Jameson Distillery Tour article on the frontpage.

Big thanks to The Scribe for writing this article. Read more about his adventures on his blog: A Dram of Brine.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Dacaqa Fe Noyetuxuhe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:55 am

I have done this tour myself (back in 2000). It was more enjoyable to me than the Guinness tour, which I did the same day.

[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
  • Information