Johnny Walker explained

Be it whiskey, whisky or scotch, this is the place.

Moderators: Sñr Juan Pablo de Español, Lord Neville Crispin

JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:17 pm

I think personal preference as per sampled whisk(e)y may override general rules, but in general, I do agree - adding ice to a (malt) whisky is not a fabulous idea. One notable exception which I feel should be mentioned is Bourbon - many of these whiskies were designed to be drank with one or two ice cubes added.

Why is ice not good? Because cold numbs the palate. This is the main reason why if one is to enjoy the full aroma and palate of whisky one should not add ice to the drink, nor should the drink be cooled by other means. On the other hand, some hideous blends for example have become perfectly palatable with ice..

Quoting wikipedia about Johnnie Walker:

"For most of its history Johnnie Walker only offered a few blends. In recent years there have been several special and limited bottlings.

* Red Label — a blend of around 35 grain and malt whiskies. It is intended for making mixed drinks.[4] 80 proof. 40% ABV.

[My comments: red is raw-tasting young blended whisky that truly benefits from all ice added to it.]

* Black Label — a blend of about 40 whiskies, each aged at least 12 years. According to William Manchester this was the favorite Scotch of Winston Churchill.[5] 80 proof. 40% ABV.

[My comments: JW Black is almost a reference standard of blended Scotch Whisky. This is an affordable good blend]

* Green Label — a vatted malt that is a blend of about 15 individual single malts, the signature malts being Talisker, Cragganmore, Linkwood, and Caol Ila – Aged 15 years. 86 proof. 43% ABV. Previously sold under the name 'Pure Malt'.

[My comments: All malt whisky, but without any lead, or any real character. I would never ever purchase this for its price - there are so many malts whiskies and even blends that beat this 100 - 0 .How to put it? Not to my personal liking, and overpriced.]

* Gold Label — a rare blend of over 15 single malts, including the very rare Clynelish malt. It was derived from Alexander II's blending notes for a whisky to commemorate Johnnie Walker's centenary[citation needed]. His original efforts were thwarted by a shortage of these malts following World War I. Gold Label is commonly bottled at 15 or 18 years. 80 proof. 40% ABV.

[My comments: Since when is Clynelish rare? This is an active distillery, and capable of producing 3,4 million litres per annum. Majority of these litres goes to blends - like this. The rare partner whisky of Clynelish is BRORA - this was made in the now demolished distillery right next to Clynelish. Have not tasted this JW Gold, so I have no opinion as such of its quality.]

* Blue Label — Johnnie Walker's premium blend. Every bottle is serial numbered and sold in a silk-lined box, accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. There is no age declaration for Blue Label although its information booklet states that some of the blends used are "up to 60 years old". 80 proof.

[My comments: A "super-premium" blend that is very expensive. Expect smoothness, but again not that much character. Blender's artwork nevertheless. N.B. Any whisky I have tasted that is older that 40 years has already lost its distillery character and most other recognizeable traits to wood, air and angel's share - so advertising that 60-year old whiskies were added to this is simply silly and might just appeal to the Asian markets mainly.]

peetie44
How did you find Refined Vices?: link from MDM forum

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:26 pm

Dacaqa Fe Noyetuxuhe wrote:
Baron Rupert Liberis wrote:
had the second sample with one iceblock
Ice in a malt whisky? Well, even in a blended malt it really shouldn't be done. A splash of water is all you should add to a Malt Whisky as it helps to 'unlock' some of the more complex flavours.

Fair enough. I am not so experienced at this level.

I am at this moment having a small sample of it with a dash of water, as you suggest. Much better, although I'm sure you would expect that.
In reality, whatever tastes best to the individual is how any whisky should be enjoyed. If you're personal taste ultimately tells you to put ice in your whisky, by all means do so.

The only applicable rule, tradition or suggestion regarding any beverage that you drink yourself is that it should be pleasing to you.

And when serving drinks to others, one should, of course, inquire of -- and abide by -- their tastes.
"Time wounds all heels." -- Julius "Groucho" Marx

www.gene-taylor.com

captain gonzo
How did you find Refined Vices?: current member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:58 pm

For some reason the red label is quite uncommona round my parts and to buy is around the same price point and the black hence my limited interest in it.

I like red don't get me wrong. I have no problem with its lower class appeal, but the black label is easier to get and tastes godly in comparison.

Green dissapointed me a little, i prefer the black. Gold was great and luckily i didnt have to pay for it myself because I can't afford it.

I still hope to try the blue at some point in the near future and hope its as good as people have said. I worry its more hype than quality though sometimes. Like wearing brand names.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:29 pm

I try not to expect much from the Blue myself because like you I'm afraid it will disappoint me. If its better than Green though then it should not be a major disappointment.

Like I said before in this thread I previously thought Black was better than Green but eventually I got used to the taste of Green and discovered I actually like the Green more. Took a few glasses to really start appreciating it. Not a whisky for beginners I would say.

The Red I should try again but my first impression when I had it was that it was incredibly perfumy and not at all good.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

captain gonzo
How did you find Refined Vices?: current member

Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:59 pm

I definately think the gold is where its at, beautiful whiskey.

Capn Jimbo
How did you find Refined Vices?: Surfing

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:38 pm

I prefere the Green... Green is the only 'vatted' malt in the bunch, and it really shows in palate weight. Though to confess, i would much rather pick up a nice single malt any day (and usually for considerably less-- as it has already been deftly explained on this thread..)
A couple of notes, some trivial, some not. "Vatted malt" and "blended malt" are synonyms. The former term is being replaced by the latter by the whisky distillers. Factoid. More important though is the mistaken notion that a "vatted malt" (blend of only single malts) and "body" go together.

Hardly.

A blend is a blend is a blend, whether of single malts or not, and the ultimate body is simply the sum total of the whiskies in the blend. The Green is composed of Talisker (powerful and full bodied), Caol Ila (softer and ligh), Cragganmore (dry, complex, delicate and lighter) and Linwood (flowery and medium). Now what the poster is trying to imply is that the limited use of fine grain whiskies (often, but not always lighter) in other blends necessarily means that such blends will have a lighter body than a "vatted malt" blend of just single malts (eg Green).

Nope.

Trust me, there are plenty of equally light bodied single malts (two of which are used in Green label) and the ultimate body has to do with the blending, not the definition. There is another implication, namely that blends, especially those using some fine grain whisky are somehow inferior. This mistaken notion has been roundly disproven by such artisan blenders such as Compass Box, whose creations outscore most of the single malts and "vatted malt" blends out there. And JW is known for creating identifiably tasty blends with great character - a feat that few single malts could possibly achieve.

One notable exception is Highland Park 12yo, always highly rated, a single malt that Michael Jackson calls the "reference single malt", as it uniquely manages to present almost all the single malt profiles in a single bottle. Consider it a non-blend blend. It is revered for its tasty universiality, yet remains a single malt. A one bottle collection...
Regards,
Capn Jimbo
Rum Project
Rum Project Forum

JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum

Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:53 pm

peetie44 wrote: In reality, whatever tastes best to the individual is how any whisky should be enjoyed. If you're personal taste ultimately tells you to put ice in your whisky, by all means do so.

The only applicable rule, tradition or suggestion regarding any beverage that you drink yourself is that it should be pleasing to you.

And when serving drinks to others, one should, of course, inquire of -- and abide by -- their tastes.
Again, yes - if one's taste requires that for example a 21yo Lagavulin is served with ice, and that way it tastes the best - go for it. BUT do remember, that cold numbs the palate (a physiological fact), so it would not be the first option I'd use in tasting ANY fine dram.

The only applicable rule for really tasting a drink should be to first try the drink "as is", then check out other options (if needed). Adding just a bit of water does NOT numb the palate, it may open up flavours. Test for yourselves. Adding cola or green tea will certainly change the drink completely, so again, I would not recommend such methodology as a starting point.

It may of course be that one simply does not like whisky, and wishes to hide its taste all together. In this case, try also other drinks.

• Information