Review: Johnnie Walker Green Label Blended Malt

Be it whiskey, whisky or scotch, this is the place.

Moderators: Sñr Juan Pablo de Español, Lord Neville Crispin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:04 pm

“We are determined to make our whisky, so far as quality is concerned, of such a standard that nothing in the market shall come before it.” - Alexander Walker

Johnnie Walker is one of the most recognized and most widely distributed Scotch whisky brands in the world. Originally sold by John Walker in 1820 at his grocery store under the name Walker's Kilmarnock Whisky, it was not until his death in 1857 when his son Alexander Walker and grandson Alexander Walker II made the brand popular.

In 1906-1909 under the control of John's grandson Alexander II and his other grandson George Paterson Walker the brand expanded and obtained its current name and look.

Alexander Walker had previously introduced the signature square bottle and the angled label in 1870 but it was Alexander II and George who introduced the coloured labels and in 1908 the managing director James Stevenson suggested renaming the brand from Walker's Kilmarnock to Johnnie Walker. This was also the time when the famous Striding Man figure, designed by Tom Browne and modelled after the founder John Walker, was introduced as the Johnnie Walker logo.
Read the full Johnnie Walker Green Label review on the frontpage.

I take back my previous comment about Green Label.

I hope you like the new style I'm going with my review images and I swear it was only a marijuana flavoured lollipop!!! :poppin:
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Baron Rupert Liberis

Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:22 pm

Nice review Count! I do like the new style of review (though maybe a more neutral background for the site rather than this dull charcoal that is currently the background?)

I'm not a huge fam of blended whisky, but JW does have a very strong reputation for quality and consistency. Although I consider it a good whisky, I do find it a bit predictable as there is so little variation between bottlings and I do enjoy picking out the differences between various bottlings of single malts.

And where do you buy these lollipops by the way? :lol:
There are two things a Highlander likes naked, and one of them is malt whisky.
Scottish proverb
Single Malt Whisky[/b] A basic guide to single malt whisky I knocked up
Follow me on Twitter

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:40 am

Thanks Baron, good to see you here again. I also have a bottle of Swing waiting to be reviewed as recommended by you in another thread.

Isn't it a good thing the quality is always the same (predictable) rather than changing in each batch with these blended whiskies? Thats why they blend them right?

I got the lollipop from Amsterdam :wink:.
--

Dacaqa Fe Noyetuxuhe
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:26 pm

I am tempted...

captain gonzo
How did you find Refined Vices?: current member
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:59 pm

A good review, and one i agree too. A great whiskey although not as good as I expected when I bought it.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:36 pm

Thanks for the comment and welcome to the forums! I see you have already made quite a few posts. Make yourself at home.
--

JaRiMi
How did you find Refined Vices?: through another forum

Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:22 pm

Just one comment about consistency of flavours: I would wager good money for the fact that if you got a Green Label bottle bottled, lets say, 10 years ago, you would find it rather different from today's green label.

The flavours do change over a period of time, whether they want them to or not. So does also the actual blend (and I mean the ratio of / particular malts that go into making the flavour profile). Whisky has not reached such a level of standardization (yet) that this would not happen.

Of course, same thing happens in single malt whiskies: A batch of 10yo single malt Ardbeg consists of hundreds of casks mixed together, and these casks are different all the time - so are is the final product. Some friends did recently a vertical tasting of many different batches of this particular whisky and found significant differences between their taste.

MJL
How did you find Refined Vices?: google

Fri Sep 10, 2010 12:15 am

Of all the Johnnie Walker offerings that I have tried I still feel the Green Label is the best buy of the lot. You can often find it for under $50 and sometimes under $40. At that price it is worthy of adding a bottle to your stash. It goes remarkably well with cigars and stands up to the strongest of the stogies.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:40 am

I have to agree with you MJL, though I have not yet tried the Gold or Swing and the others that are not in the standard selection.
--

MJL
How did you find Refined Vices?: google

Sun Sep 26, 2010 6:26 pm

To be honest they are all good but the Green Label speaks to me the loudest so to speak. I have tasted all but the Blue but that days is coming soon!

• Information