Review: Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 1996

Be it whiskey, whisky or scotch, this is the place.

Moderators: Sñr Juan Pablo de Español, Lord Neville Crispin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Wed Dec 05, 2007 5:05 pm

Read the full article on the frontpage.
Evan Williams is bright brown with core highlights that are nearly red in this refined decanter. The cork is protected by a black rubber seal that goes all the way down to the end of the bottles bubbled neck. Markings on the front label clearly indicate the whiskey was put in oak in 1996 as do the handwritten notes, which add a touch of individuality, on the back label. Around the neck is a small booklet praising the quality of Evan Williams Single Barrel and listing some awards it has won over the years. All these little details make the bottle of Evan Williams Single Barrel very inviting and attractive.

I could hardly wait to finally open this bottle for review after 5 long months it had been calling my name on the shelf. But it wasn't going to be easy to get to its contents as the rip cord of the wax seal didn't work and I actually had use a knife to cut through the thick rubber and then through the odd plastic cover under it. It appears this bourbon was determined to pique my anticipation as it made me wait a little while longer - it took nigh on 10 minutes to open the bottle.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Rum Runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Thu Dec 06, 2007 1:09 am

Nice review Count. Always happy here to see that the Yanks can still put up a very nice product.
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:21 pm

I appreciated this whiskey but I don't think it is still quite as good as Wild Turkey. Theres something about that Turkey...
--

Rum Runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Fri Dec 07, 2007 8:59 pm

Which particular bottling of Wild Turkey are you refering to Dear Count?

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:04 pm

The standard 8 Year old. It doesn't require me to be in any mood for it like the Evan Williams might.
--

Rum Runner

Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:36 pm

So, is your conclusion between the two based on the taste profile, or economy?

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:50 pm

It is complicated. Both of them were priced very nicely at the place where I bought them (surprisingly neither are available here :roll:). Price aside I like the taste of both but the Wild Turkey is more easily approachable and makes an excellent whiskey cola, not that I've tried the Evan Williams with cola yet, call me blasphemous for suggesting EW&Coke if you will. Both have their strenghts and weaknesses. Maybe I'm just used to Wild Turkey. I would post a review on the frontpage of it if I had a full bottle to photograph in my lightbox.
--

Rum Runner

Sat Dec 08, 2007 12:04 am

I think you hit upon an interesting point here Count. The fact that the "Turkey" may be what you're more used to (and prefer) as opposed to the more ellucid EW. The fact that you gave EW such a high mark in your review tells me that you did a nice job and tried to put aside your own preferences in assessing this (EW) Whiskey. This is to be commended in a critcal review. As ones' tasting base grows...So does ones' perspective. Personally I have always liked the "leaner" mouth feel of Whiskeys such as Old Weller. Plenty of Aroma, Flavor, and Finish, but more dry, astringent, and tart in the mouth. However, I have no problem in appreciatiing the full, rich, oily feel of Makers Mark. Vive la differrance!...With apologies for my bad French.

AngelSword

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:23 pm

Have you tried Elijah Craig 12 yr. or 18 yr.? Both represent a higher level of bourbon from the same Heaven Hill distillery. I like it far better than the Turkey and truly do not care for EW. Overall I am not a big fan of many of the Heaven Hill products. But after spending a couple of days at their distillery, I did develop an appreciation of the Elijah Craig. Smoother, richer, and more complex than EW.

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:57 pm

I'm afraid I haven't tried Elijah Craig. I guess I will have to keep an eye for it next time.
--

• Information