Macallan sells for $54,000

Be it whiskey, whisky or scotch, this is the place.

Moderators: Sñr Juan Pablo de Español, Lord Neville Crispin

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:46 pm

Read the entire article on the frontpage.
Reuters wrote:Rare spirits went for record high prices at Christie's New York auction house on Saturday with one bottle of 1926 Macallan Scotch selling for $54,000. It became the most expensive bottle of Scotch whiskey ever sold by the auction house, said Christie's, which has been holding similar sales in Europe for a decade.

Bought by a private New York investor, the Macallan was bottled in 1986 after spending 60 years in a wooden barrel. It had originally been expected to sell from between $20,000 and $30,000.

Richard Brierley, head of wine and spirits sales for Christie's America, was asked at an earlier press briefing if anyone would actually drink such a Scotch.
Anyone here who would mix it with coke? :poppin: :madnazor:
Last edited by Sir Niko Earl of Holm on Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Typo fixed
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Baron Rupert Liberis

Sat Dec 15, 2007 12:48 am

Not sure who'd mix it with Coke, but certainly paying over the odds when you can buy a 64 year glenfiddich for $20,000 less. Though I may do a little more research into that bottling.
I suspect that canny investors may be laying down a bottle or 2 of this Glenfiddich to sell at auction when all 61 bottles from the 64 year old casking have sold out.

Anyone want to get together to compare the two?

Seriously though, what's the oldest single Malt you've tasted?

I paid a serious amount at a whisky bar for a dram of 1939 Macallan once, and I've found some whisky's almost as good, but this did go to show me that you can taste the difference in price in whisky's a lot easier than you can with wines!
There are two things a Highlander likes naked, and one of them is malt whisky.
Scottish proverb
Single Malt Whisky[/b] A basic guide to single malt whisky I knocked up
Follow me on Twitter

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Sat Dec 15, 2007 1:04 am

Oldest single malt, hmm... It was a Laphroaig but I cannot recall which one and how old it was. Ted Maul can probably remind me what it was as he owns the said product. I'm afraid my single malt experiences are very limited. I have been concentrating on the more affordable rum recently.
--

Count Silvio
Site Admin

Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:34 am

"Very dark ("laburnum" say Macallan). Medicinal, phenolic, peaty and woody in aroma. Surprisingly light on the tongue. Very dry and concentrated in palate. Figs, treacle toffee. Molasses. Liquorice. Rooty. Finish is cedary and oaky - dominated by the wood. SCORE 80."

I just happened to notice that I have the late Michael Jacksons tasting notes here in my Malt Whisky book.
--

Sñr Juan Pablo de Español
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:25 pm

Baron Rupert Liberis wrote:Seriously though, what's the oldest single Malt you've tasted?
For me that would be 30yr old Glenmorangie when working in Inverness, Scotland. The distillery is not too far a drive from the city, so it was quite common place around there. I spent 4 weeks delivering training and each night, when I retired to my hotel, would enjoy the comforts of a certain 30yr old all paid for by my employer of the time.
It was a woman who drove me to drink, and I never had the courtesy to thank her for it - W. C. Fields

Amarantha
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:20 am

Baron Rupert Liberis wrote:Seriously though, what's the oldest single Malt you've tasted?

I paid a serious amount at a whisky bar for a dram of 1939 Macallan once, and I've found some whisky's almost as good, but this did go to show me that you can taste the difference in price in whisky's a lot easier than you can with wines!

I haven't had anything older than 18, unless it was inna restaurant or bar and I just don't remember. But you're right about the difference. I didn't much care for Glenfiddich 12yo when I tried it, but my dear mother presented me with a bottle of duty-free Glenfiddich 18yo after a recent voyage, and it's not bad at all. I don't drink much Speyside as my heart belongs in the Isles, but it makes a killer Rob Roy.

Count Silvio wrote:I just happened to notice that I have the late Michael Jacksons tasting notes here in my Malt Whisky book.

Ah, Michael Jackson, may the spirits rest his soul. "Don't drink more beer; drink more beers." (paraphrased)

• Information