Favo(u)rite Whisk(e)y?

Be it whiskey, whisky or scotch, this is the place.

Moderators: Sñr Juan Pablo de Español, Lord Neville Crispin

Lord Neville Crispin
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:00 pm

Obligatory opening thread.

As I don't know many, I will go with my bottle of Jameson 12 year. Very smooth and delicious.

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:11 pm

At the moment I'm going to have to go with Wild Turkey No. 8. This might change though as soon as I open the Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage 1996. I suspect it is absolutely delicious.
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

Sñr Juan Pablo de Español
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:42 pm

Oh where do I start. The favourites would have to be:

Glenfiddich Special Reserve
Glenmorangie
Chivas Regal

I am also partial to:

Jamesons
Ledaig (though its impossible to get)
Glenlivet
Magilligan (again hard to get hold of)
JD (preferably neat)
Wild Turkey

Of the first three my favourite would depend on my mood when you asked me. Sometimes I prefer the softer Chivas and other nights I will happily drink Glenmorangie all night long.

Serving the drink correctly is important too. Despite the opinion of the buffoon Count Silvio whiskey should be served with two small lumps of ice with a measure of 50ml (though more realistically it could be anything upto 100ml because I really dont measure it).

Lord Neville Crispin

Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:03 pm

I enjoy my Jameson with 2 small cubes of ice. It takes a lot of the bite off it, but leaves a really mellow taste afterwards. The Lady Crispin has commented on the positive aspects of its flavor.

Rum Runner

Tue Oct 30, 2007 1:25 am

I always like to think that my favourite whisky is the one in front of me. That being said, my most memorable are , in no particular order, Ezra Brooks Bourbon 15 year old in a special leather package which for some reason reminded me of a Madonna concert. Caol Ila 12 year old from Islay, a wonderful evocation of peat and sea. Aberlour 10 year from Speyside, a nice pre prandial. Old Weller of any age, A perfect Bourbon in my opinion, dry and edgey, taken with a salty slice of dry aged smithfield country ham. Many years ago I had the pleasure of wandering into Wallace Milroy's shop in North London. By the time I left my wallet was empty and I was three sheets to the wind...I felt like I had been to an after hours club! Regards.
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

baron wankelporkington

Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:11 pm

caol ila 18yr old has an excellent taste and fantastic as a tonic due to the location, you can really taste the sea.

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:38 pm

I was certain I had already mailed my correspondence on this topic but alas, it is nowhere to be seen. Whether it was misplaced by the maid or not I shall reiterate my thought.

For a while now I have been a big fan of Islay malts. Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Laphroaig, the list goes on. You can read my thoughts on Laphroaig in the related discussion. My affection to the island has led me to acquire some land on it and I have the paperwork to prove it.

Setting sail towards west and fixing our gaze in the horizon we soon arrive in the distillery of John Jameson & Son. Ever since I received a bottle of Jameson 12 yr I have been an admirer of theirs.

My goal is to acquire a bottle of Laphroaig 30 yr immediately before I turn that age myself. Ideally I would have a swill throughout my life to honour grand occasions and could proclaim in a loud voice that "this whisky is as old as I am!". Unfortunately bottled whisky doesn't age so well particularly if most of the bottle has been consumed so I must think of a better strategy that balances the significant investment and what I get out of it tastewise.

I am open to suggestions.
And therefore I conclude that Carthage must be destroyed.

Le Comte de la Vesteverte

Tue Oct 30, 2007 3:45 pm

Might I suggest, sir - and to any others who may frequent these rooms - that if it is a serious, consumate and professioanl view of whisky that you seek, the writings of the dearly departed Michael Jackson are indespensable.
I can resist everything but temptation.

Rum Runner

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:52 pm

Dear sir. You are wise beyond your years and to be congratulated! You are correct in observing that oxidation does take place. My remedy for this is to decant the contents of a partial bottle into a scrupulously clean container of the correct size. Such as a silver flask, or small crystal decanter. The idea being to reduce the surface area exposed to air. Whilst this detracts from the joy of pouring direct from the bottle, it does keep the spirit in better shape. I too, am a fan if Islay. If I was able to take only one dram, to ward off the chillblains on a grouse hunt in the moors, it would be Laphroaig. Regards.

Theodore S. Maul, Esq. wrote: My goal is to acquire a bottle of Laphroaig 30 yr immediately before I turn that age myself. Ideally I would have a swill throughout my life to honour grand occasions and could proclaim in a loud voice that "this whisky is as old as I am!". Unfortunately bottled whisky doesn't age so well particularly if most of the bottle has been consumed so I must think of a better strategy that balances the significant investment and what I get out of it tastewise.

I am open to suggestions.

Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:59 pm

Might I suggest good sirs, in the investment in a Swissmar Epivac winesaver. This simple yet ingenenious device was designed for wine bottles and should fit the necks of most whiskey bottles quite appropriately. The idea is to place a reusable rubber seal fitted with a one-way valve into th neck and then apply a small hand pump to withdraw the air left in the bottle, creating a vacuum and vastly minimizing oxidation. To take a drink, simply release the valve and remove the seal!

Rum Runner

Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:15 pm

Dear Le Comte. An excellent suggestion and to be commended. One warning though. The Epivac is primarily for short term use, as the one way valve will eventually weaken and loose the vacuum. If our esteemed Esquire is waiting some time between samplings, he may find himself in a dour mood when he taps the elixir. Regards.

Le Comte de la Vesteverte wrote:Might I suggest good sirs, in the investment in a Swissmar Epivac winesaver. This simple yet ingenenious device was designed for wine bottles and should fit the necks of most whiskey bottles quite appropriately. The idea is to place a reusable rubber seal fitted with a one-way valve into th neck and then apply a small hand pump to withdraw the air left in the bottle, creating a vacuum and vastly minimizing oxidation. To take a drink, simply release the valve and remove the seal!

AngelSword

Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:49 pm

Favorites:
Bourbon: Buffalo Trace
Canadian: Forty Creek
Western: McKendric
Scotch: Glenrothes 32yr. 1972
Overall: Temptryst Ballinon (my own)

Fez Wearing Brigadier

Sat Nov 03, 2007 2:43 am

Glenfiddich.

Though in a pinch I'll settle for a bottle of Black Douglas.
Registered at RefinedVices.com since 1857.

Hon Rev Saul X. Goode MP

Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:41 am

My favourite is Canadian Club, which I rarely drink without either some manner of gingery ale or cola.

Currently I am making my way through a bottle of Vat 69 which I won last weekend in a battle of wits.

Mistress Elena de Tarte

Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:37 pm

I currently have a bottle of Glenlivet sitting in the bar, which has made for many an enjoyable night cap recently, teamed with these darling star-shaped icecubes. A little strange, yes, but when consuming a drink which generally considered to be rather masculine, it my way of expressing my feminine side and it does look quite exquisite. My good landlord also posses a bottle of Glenfiddich Special Reserve, which is waiting for the right occassion to be opened.

Going away from Scotches, my dear father (bless him) taught me to love a Jameson with ice and, occasionally, ginger ale.

AngelSword

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:59 am

Fez Wearing Brigadier wrote:Glenfiddich.

I find Glenfiddich 12 rather harsh and astringent, but properly serviceable for boys just barely old enough to drink and are learning about the world's vices ... or those such as yourself that might appreciate such.

Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:27 pm

I would tend to agree. I've tried Glenfiddich's 12, 15 and 18 year olds malts (the 21 is next on my agenda, and beyond that when fortune smiles upon me or i have the fiscal means) and have found that the 15 year old Solera Reserve is by far the tastiest of the three. The 18 year old Ancient Reserve is not without it merits but its taste may just be a little too complex and overwhelming, at least for my palate. Trying to put too many ideas into one bottle. Like someone other than James Joyce writing Ulysses. The 15 year old is by far a more appealing, somewhat sweeter taste, somewhat reminiscent of fresh fruit.

The 12 year old... well, it was the first whiskey I ever tasted back in my formative years, but now I'd reserve the bottle for use in the kitchen.

And as much as I condone drinking in accordance to one's taste and not one's ego, I must say that Black Douglas and Vat 69, along with 100 Pipers are some of the most inferior and downright poor blends I've ever tasted. Purely reserved for teenage kicks; and cheap tasteless ones at that. For an average blend close to that price range I would recommend Teacher's Highland Malt or Ballantine's over those three on any occasion.

AngelSword

Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:49 pm

baron wankelporkington wrote:caol ila 18yr old has an excellent taste and fantastic as a tonic due to the location, you can really taste the sea.
This type of flavor has more to with style than location, not that location does not also play a small part. Several of the Islay whiskies are the richest in phenols, about 40 ppm. That is mainly from heavy peat smoking of the malt. Others simply do not use as much smoke. The sea influence is related to increased iodines in the peat from brackish water.

paulipbartender

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:27 pm

Fantastic to see so many Oirish whiskies name checked here. I find they're often overlooked.

My desert island list;

Middleton Very Rare
Johnnie Walker Blue
and Glenfiddich 21 Havana Reserve (finished in Havana Club barrels)

Count Silvio
Site Admin
How did you find Refined Vices?: I'm the Count

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:52 pm

Can you notice any Havana Club "remainders" in the taste?
--
Slouching on the reliable old leather recliner.

paulipbartender

Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:56 pm

Yes, the finish is wonderfully sweet and rummy. A real find

Fez Wearing Brigadier

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:26 am

Hon Rev Saul X. Goode MP wrote:My favourite is Canadian Club, which I rarely drink without either some manner of gingery ale or cola.

Currently I am making my way through a bottle of Vat 69 which I won last weekend in a battle of wits.
It must have been a quick and decisive battle.

Fez Wearing Brigadier

Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:28 am

AngelSword wrote:
Fez Wearing Brigadier wrote:Glenfiddich.

I find Glenfiddich 12 rather harsh and astringent, but properly serviceable for boys just barely old enough to drink and are learning about the world's vices ... or those such as yourself that might appreciate such.
What vices did you teach them after plying these lads that were barely old enough to drink?

Sñr Juan Pablo de Español

Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:19 pm

Rum Runner wrote:Dear sir. You are wise beyond your years and to be congratulated! You are correct in observing that oxidation does take place. My remedy for this is to decant the contents of a partial bottle into a scrupulously clean container of the correct size. Such as a silver flask, or small crystal decanter. The idea being to reduce the surface area exposed to air. Whilst this detracts from the joy of pouring direct from the bottle, it does keep the spirit in better shape. I too, am a fan if Islay. If I was able to take only one dram, to ward off the chillblains on a grouse hunt in the moors, it would be Laphroaig. Regards.
If this is indeed advice that you choose to follow I would suggest using a suitable sterilising agent to clean the new container. It is then of the most extreme importance that you thoroughly rinse this new container with clean cold water. It was through not rinsing properly that I have lost more than a single batch of delicious homebrew.

As for the agent itself, a baby bottle steriliser will do if you cannot find one from a local brewing shop.

Rum Runner

Sat Dec 01, 2007 8:29 am

Sñr Juan Pablo de Español wrote:
Rum Runner wrote:Dear sir. You are wise beyond your years and to be congratulated! You are correct in observing that oxidation does take place. My remedy for this is to decant the contents of a partial bottle into a scrupulously clean container of the correct size. Such as a silver flask, or small crystal decanter. The idea being to reduce the surface area exposed to air. Whilst this detracts from the joy of pouring direct from the bottle, it does keep the spirit in better shape. I too, am a fan if Islay. If I was able to take only one dram, to ward off the chillblains on a grouse hunt in the moors, it would be Laphroaig. Regards.
If this is indeed advice that you choose to follow I would suggest using a suitable sterilising agent to clean the new container. It is then of the most extreme importance that you thoroughly rinse this new container with clean cold water. It was through not rinsing properly that I have lost more than a single batch of delicious homebrew.

As for the agent itself, a baby bottle steriliser will do if you cannot find one from a local brewing shop.
Dear don Juan Pablo. A pleasure to see you return to the fold. I have taken all precautions in decanting as if I were visiting the Red Light District of Amsterdam. With wonderful results on both counts!

Grand Duke Boobmiester

Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:38 pm

Johnny Walker Black and Chivas would be my top 2, however you esteemed gentleman have certainly given me many other options to try.

Captain James Macenruig

Fri Jan 11, 2008 3:40 am

How terrible that I haven't taken the time to add my experience to this already sterling conversation!

At any rate, Whisky is definitely one of my favourite potables - something which I attribute to my Scottish heritage.

Island malts are always somewhat of a favourite, with my every-day Whisky being the delicious Bowmore Darkest. Darkest is a full, rich island malt with a decidedly smoky taste. It always seems to me apon pouring a glass and taking a whiff of the smoky and sea-breeze scented Whisky that I have suddenly been transported to a craggy cliff on the isle of Islay with a roaring campfire beside me.

Along with the Bowmore, there are many island malts with similar sea-side aromas and finishes, such as the delicious Port Ellen 1978 and the Talisker 1975.
"Even if a submarine should work by a miracle, it will never be used. No country in this world would ever use such a vicious and petty form of warfare!"
- William Henderson, British admiral(1914)

paulipbartender

Fri Jan 11, 2008 1:16 pm

The Port Ellen 75 is a wonderful spirit, sadly in dwindling availability as the distillery is no longer open

Amarantha

Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:04 am

My first love was Laphroaig 10yo. Then I met her sister QC, and well, what can I say, it just happened :oops:

Then I joined the SMWS and had a single-cask Arran. It's rather tragic to know that the best whisky one has ever met, one will never meet again. But it shan't stop me from doing this to myself over and over again... :happysad:
Lead me not into temptation; I can find it myself.

Henry Deare, Adventurer

Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:31 am

I've become quite enamoured of the Glenfiddich 15 year of late.
I'd not heard of the 21 year Havana Reserve before now. I'll have to track that one down.

• Information