The Art of the Pipe shall not be lost

Cigar conversation.

Moderator: Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Post Reply [phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Senator Badfellow
How did you find Refined Vices?: Count Silvo
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:28 am

Pipe smoking has gone into obscurity for several long decades now.

Several long, long decades into obscurity. Crowded out by the convenience of cigarettes, and the prominant luxury of cigars, which is certainly not an indictment toward either.

Quite tragic, for the flavorful blends that are to be had from a fine tobacconist's selection are paramount to the smokers experience. And the range of flavor, mind you natural and not artificial flavor, is as rhapsodic as any cigar is capable...
The velvety Cavendish soaked in caramelized bourbon, or possibly dry infused with volatiles of Seville Orange? Bergamot? Madagascar Vanilla?
The peppery lure of fermented Perique on the front of the tongue, every draw a demonstration of the palate's tingling endurance.
The mellow gold of a Turkish persuasion, grown next to fields of commercial oregano, paprika and what.

I'll grow silent now and puff introspectively while the remainder contribute to this long draw.

My intent is to refine your vice, by which I mean to refine my own, which is to say through direct experience.

Rum Runner
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:28 am

Thank you for addressing this long dormant refined vice.

I have just put down my copy of "The Pipe Smoker" by John Paul Beaumier and Lewis Camp. A wonderful treatise on the subject.

I am in ownership of a modest collection of Briars and Meerschaums and find much pleasure in the range of high quality tobaccos to fill these most suitable receptors.
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

Senator Badfellow

Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:30 pm

Thank you kindly in return for suggesting the read. I too maintain a modest collection of the seasoned woods. I occasionally find sport in a safari to the thrift stores, and as old gentlemen tend to pass away, one may bag a rare fedora or quality pipe on the second hand savannas.

A photo shall be composed to this subject and duly posted.

Senator Badfellow

Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:08 pm

Here, ladies and gentlemen, we have a spectacular view of the 3rd level of the Trophy Case of Vice. It's a simple, straight forward set up. A guest (or more often myself) is struck by the urge for pipe, and they are thus free to indulge themselves in whatever mannet they see fit. If you're feeling intrepid, the 111 blend will tweak your tongue to Icarus heights. Please, have a bit of B&B with your puffing repast...

My personal favorite from the collection, a Four Diamond Brair. It has weight, or "pipe clout" as I like to say. It has style, and it has years of seasoed cake from good tobacco. Guarded by attack turtle 24 hours a day.

Ahhhh, yes. The long and the sort of it. The "micro pipe" below measures only a little larger than the averege thumb. Not exactly ideal, but nonetheless a functional novelty..

I say, anyone have a match?

Theodore S. Maul, Esq.

Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:22 pm

I do have a briar pipe and some Sweet Killarney to go with it but I'm still breaking it in. It's a skill that takes a while to learn. I'm still figuring out the best way to pack it and the right speed to smoke it. I've tried the packing in thirds method and I do believe I'm not smoking in haste but the experience is still far from optimal.
And therefore I conclude that Carthage must be destroyed.

Rum Runner

Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:52 am

Senator Badfellow wrote:Thank you kindly in return for suggesting the read. I too maintain a modest collection of the seasoned woods. I occasionally find sport in a safari to the thrift stores, and as old gentlemen tend to pass away, one may bag a rare fedora or quality pipe on the second hand savannas.

A photo shall be composed to this subject and duly posted.
Splendid photos of your collection Senator! I shall have to dust off my Linhof 4X5 Kardan Color and zip off a few snaps.

I see a nice Billiard, Maybe a Bulldog, a Briar version of a Churchwarden, and that nice little sandblast finish Four Diamond Pot.

I too enjoy a generous libation such as B&B...Though I prefer to let my guests mix their own take on it by supplying a bottle of Benedictine and a nice Brandy. That way they may suit their Pipe and Tobacco choice in a proper way.
Let Debrett's Peerage be your guide

• Information